| MBB/WBB 🏀2024-25 Alabama Basketball Roster Updates and Offseason News...

We had a similar thread last year, and like it, I will update this one with the movement as it happens and next season's roster takes shape. Obviously, all the players in red that are set to return, won't. And others will be added via the portal. But I'll keep this updated and keep track of it as it all unfolds. As always, let me know of any errors/mistakes.

Also, keep in mind, there are 13 scholarship spots available per season. As of now, Alabama is +2 (15 scholarshipped players), which means at a minimum, 2 of the following will not return.

Current 2024/25 roster outlook as of now:
G Mark Sears (5th year Senior)

G Latrell Wrightsell Jr. (5th year Senior)

G Davin Cosby Jr. (Sophomore)
G Houston Mallette (Senior)
F Nick Pringle (5th year Senior)
F Grant Nelson (5th year Senior)
F Mohamed Wague (Senior)

F Sam Walters (Sophomore)
F Mouhamed Dioubate (Sophomore)
F Jarin Stevenson (Sophomore)

G/F Naas Cunningham (Freshman)
F Derrion Reid (Freshman)
C Aiden Sherrell (Freshman)
G Rylan Griffin (Junior)

G/F Kris Parker (Redshirt Freshman)
PG Aden Holloway (Sophomore)

Players from 2023/24 that are not eligible to return next season
G Aaron Estrada

Players eligible to return for next season that will not
G/F Kris Parker
G Rylan Griffen
F Sam Walters
F Nick Pringle
G Davin Cosby

Players signed that are set to join Alabama for next season
G/F Naas Cunningham
F Derrion Reid
C Aiden Sherrell

Players transferring in to play for Alabama next season
G Houston Mallette (Pepperdine)
G Chris Youngblood (USF)

SEC Basketball Roster Tracker

Things as far as access will be different now after a Final Four run, but I really hope they do the Yea Alabama Meet N Greet like they did last Fall/Winter with the basketball team. We had a previous engagement so we couldn't attend, and I hated that for my son after the pictures they posted and you got to meet Oats and shake hands and get autographs from the entire team. Now you can basically get that entire Final Four team back and another opportunity to meet them and get autographs would be amazing.

This will be BAMA’s most talented team that i can think of.

Hopefully they stay hungry/focused and dont pull a 2010 football. In my opinion BAMA footballs most talented team. They thought they could just roll out the ball and win and got embarrassed by SC. Should have been 3 in a row. But overconfidence doomed them.

Those Converse were the bees knees back then. They offered them in so many different colorways. We had them at the Hill in junior high but went with Reebok pumps junior and senior years.
Back in "the day," it was the only shoe that could hold up. I remember playing sports when I was in elementary and Nike's blew out, quickly. The only shoe that was a damn was Mitre. Made a hell of a golf club as well...

I think there's a few things that go into a team winning it all in basketball... luck is part of the equation. But also in the equation, IMO:

Great guard play = ✔️
Depth = ✔️
Efficient Offense = ✔️
Efficient Defense = Predicting a ✔️
NCAA Tournament experience = ✔️
A head coach that knows how to win in March & April = ✔️

Team chemistry also plays a large part in team success and keeping so many good players happy with minutes will be a challenge. Egos can inflate very quickly. CNO seemed to have figured it out pretty well last season. This year is different with many new players.

I would love to see it. Coach Oates has proven to be a great recruiter if we can figure out some semblance of defense we’ll be lethal.

Defense will be fine next season. He's already put 2 top 5 defenses (efficiency) on the court in his short time at Bama, I'd imagine this squad will be top 15, easily.

LOL... awesome. This was rumored but I wasn't sure it would actually happen...

"When Grant Nelson decided to go back to Alabama, Coach Stevens reached out immediately to see if they had interest in bringing Grant back to his home state for a game, and to Coach Oats credit, they jumped on it," said UND head men's basketball coach Paul Sather. "Not often do you get a potential top-5 ranked team to come to Grand Forks! It should be an awesome environment and opportunity to compete against a great team on our home court."

Those Converse were the bees knees back then. They offered them in so many different colorways. We had them at the Hill in junior high but went with Reebok pumps junior and senior years.
Yep! You had Magic and Larry pushing the Converse brand. Like @TerryP mentioned earlier, we all had the same shoe. B-Team had their shoe and varsity had ours. I was the oddball my sophomore season because of that! I started B-team but was pulled up for depth for a Thanksgiving tournament. Coach couldn’t send me back down because, when I got on the floor, I was more physical than the older guys and refused to be out hustled.

Yep! You had Magic and Larry pushing the Converse brand. Like @TerryP mentioned earlier, we all had the same shoe. B-Team had their shoe and varsity had ours. I was the oddball my sophomore season because of that! I started B-team but was pulled up for depth for a Thanksgiving tournament. Coach couldn’t send me back down because, when I got on the floor, I was more physical than the older guys and refused to be out hustled.
Who was your coach? Pike?

Yep! Coach Pike! We ran man to man from opening tip until the final buzzer!! If we would’ve had cross country back then, our bunch would’ve owned state!!! 😂
I hear you there. Our basketball coach made us all run cross country for that reason. Got us all doing more conditioning before the hoops practices started. We ran cross country in basketball shoes.

Like @TerryP mentioned earlier, we all had the same shoe.
I know it's petty and means nothing...but one of the things that drives me crazy about watching basketball today is the shoes don't match.
I hear you there. Our basketball coach made us all run cross country for that reason. Got us all doing more conditioning before the hoops practices started. We ran cross country in basketball shoes.
I estimate we were running five to six miles a day before basketball season...on the soccer field. Hell, we played on a 120'x60' field and had to loop that damn thing five times before practice started. I can't remember what the drill was called...we were running in a line and at the whistle the last man sprinted to the front...and we were sprinting around the field.

I don't miss those days, yet, I do.

Defense will be fine next season. He's already put 2 top 5 defenses (efficiency) on the court in his short time at Bama, I'd imagine this squad will be top 15, easily.
Yep - when we've had longer guards and a true 5, Oats has had some incredible defenses. It's one thing that man does emphasize a whole lot, but it oftens doesn't translate to the court every season because of roster limitations.

Two seasons ago we had guys like Nimari Burnett, Noah Clowney, Jaden Bradley, Brandon Miller, Charles Bediako, and Rylan Griffen. In Oats' second season, it was Herb Jones, John Petty, Juwan Gary, Jordan Bruner (ultimately got injured and it showed against UCLA), Josh Primo, and Keon Ellis. That's long of guys with a good wingspan and the ability to guard on/off ball.

The years we haven't had a good D, our starting guards were smaller and/or weren't bought in on D. That definitely played a role last season when the defense couldn't get stops against Clemson, Ohio State, Purdue, and Arizona. The defense definitely improved (through experience and leadership) once the tournament came.

Back
Top Bottom