| GAME THREAD 🏈 2022 - '23 Bowl Season 🏈 Game(s) Thread

Channel 11 out of Atlanta. Has Braking News Puppies has won back to back. These people could have waited for about 20 second to do that. I miss the ended of the TV show I was watching:mad:

Bama allowed this crap to happen by not closing out last year and then crapping the bed this year. Hope all of this lights a fire under the team and gets CNS to reignite his drive that he historically had. He has a challenge to put this jenny back in the bottle. As the competitor he is, the crap is about to hit the fan as Bama restores things to there rightful place. Will not be as easy as taming a Meyer coached Florida team. Smart learned it from the GOAT himself.

The argument for expansion is right here in this game. More playoff games would hopefully weed out teams like TCU. You can't tell me teams like Alabama or Penn State or Washington couldn't do better than this.
Actually, I don't think this game was an argument for expansion. Quite the opposite. We don't need a larger playoff. There aren't 12, 8, or even 4 elite teams every season. At most there have been 3 because some years there's a robust debate about who deserves the 4th spot. Where there is robust argument, there is mediocrity. Where there are elite teams, there is no debate.

What tonight proved was we should keep it at 4 until parity increases to require a larger playoff pool. If we need anything, we need to reduce the number of FBS/Power conference teams so that high school talent isn't dispersed across so many schools. While we are at it, reduce the Power 5 conferences to the Power 4. Maybe even cap the number of 5* and 4* players each school can sign to spread the wealth around a bit more. Then put the 2 best teams from each conference into a play off with conference champions and higher seeded teams getting home field advantage until the neutral site championship.

Maybe even cap the number of 5* and 4* players each school can sign to spread the wealth around a bit more.
Therefore taking away the choices of where these kids want to attend school? And, while they're at it, taking away opportunities they'll see after collegiate competition?

Actually, I don't think this game was an argument for expansion. Quite the opposite. We don't need a larger playoff. There aren't 12, 8, or even 4 elite teams every season. At most there have been 3 because some years there's a robust debate about who deserves the 4th spot. Where there is robust argument, there is mediocrity. Where there are elite teams, there is no debate.

Problem is, you have no good way to find just those two teams without letting everyone play on the field and including multiple rounds to weed out one trick ponies. The season does not do that because there are too many teams and the non-conference games are often not between teams that have any chance of being elite that year. Was UGA the best team this year? At least for 2 games, sure. And what is your argument for elite? Do you really think Alabama would have had zero chance against UGA this year? If not, then they would have to be in the argument for elite even though they were left out of the top 4.

Did the committee keep TCU #2? Like a "yeah we shit the bed on the selections but ain't gonna admit it everyone gets a trophy deal" I believe the AP poll kept them at #2, but they're sports writers, what do you expect? :p

I'm interested to see if ratings were down compared to previous years. I didn't watch a single bit, just watched the ticker on espn.com
Just a matter of how much, IMO. And many who were tuned in, didn't stay long.
I didn't watch one second of the game. I also watch the ticker on my computer. I think if tOSt had played this game. It would have been even game to watch.

Therefore taking away the choices of where these kids want to attend school? And, while they're at it, taking away opportunities they'll see after collegiate competition?
Oh I know it would be messy ... and I'm not one who ever supports eliminating choice for people.

But the game has suffered from the stranglehold Bama, Georgia, Oh St, and Clemson have had on it. Moreover, consider how many national champions in recent history have come from the SEC, the SE portion of the ACC, Texas, and Southern California. We all know the southern portion of the country has enjoyed many advantages in the last few decades and recruiting trends show no signs of change. How much pride can a fan take in their school's championship if they keep playing the same teams every year? At what point does a theoretical "national" championship devolve, in practical terms, into a regional championship?

We could just implement modest changes. For example, just put a cap on how many top 150 recruits a school can sign. Let's face it, these players aren't selecting a school for anything other than immediate playing time to leave for the NFL as soon as possible. They can always transfer somewhere else after the first year, but it would at least give others schools a chance to keep blue chip talent. A measure or two like this could strengthen the game, eventually justify a larger play off, and make the national champion truly national again. But like I also suggested, reduce the number of FBS schools, or if chambers of commerce still want to keep sponsoring smaller bowls, let them. But separate playoff-eligible conferences from the rest so that the playoff eligible teams and conferences are able to pay their players.

What would be the drawbacks of my ideas? I know recruits are rated differently by different evaluators, but it wouldn't be impossible to aggregate the evaluations from the most widely recognized evaluators. Maybe schools would begin bribing recruiting analysts to lower their ratings for coveted players in order to stay below the 5* limit???? Lol But seriously, are you at all concerned about the lack of competition in the play off?

Last edited:
Oh I know it would be messy ... and I'm not one who ever supports eliminating choice for people.

But the game has suffered from the stranglehold Bama, Georgia, Oh St, and Clemson have had on it. Moreover, consider how many national champions in recent history have come from the SEC, the SE portion of the ACC, Texas, and Southern California. We all know the southern portion of the country has enjoyed many advantages in the last few decades and recruiting trends show no signs of change. How much pride can a fan take in their school's championship if they keep playing the same teams every year? At what point does a theoretical "national" championship devolve, in practical terms, into a regional championship?
Outside of 2014 with Ohio State, the last team outside the of the SEC/ACC was Texas in 2005, which is soon to be the SEC too.

Problem is, you have no good way to find just those two teams without letting everyone play on the field and including multiple rounds to weed out one trick ponies. The season does not do that because there are too many teams and the non-conference games are often not between teams that have any chance of being elite that year. Was UGA the best team this year? At least for 2 games, sure. And what is your argument for elite? Do you really think Alabama would have had zero chance against UGA this year? If not, then they would have to be in the argument for elite even though they were left out of the top 4.
Well the human side to weekly rankings throughout the season helps us to sort the best teams and compensate for teams that appear better (or worse) than what their record and schedule strength indicate statistically. This is how we deal with the imperfections of scheduling in the college game.

I don't remember any year since the CFP began where I believe they made a mistake on the top 4. Let me qualify that statement however. There have been several years where the 4th and maybe 3rd as well have been questionable choices, like this season for example. But like I said earlier in this thread, where there are questions and debates, there is mediocrity. So in my mind, the CFP is not making a mistake when they select a team at #3 or #4 that I wouldn't have selected. Why? Because the playoff is intended to give the best (and let's be honest, most deserving too) teams a chance to compete against each other. Therefore, the CFP in my view has license to err on the side of "inclusion" and "diversity" over a team's tradition, recruiting rankings, national appeal and familiarity. I don't fault the CFP for keeping Bama out this year due to our 2 losses and unremarkable victories. Do I think we could have made the natty more interesting? Of course. I would have had Georgia and Michigan in this year's playoff. So in my opinion it would have been a mistake to exclude those teams. Ha duh! But the CFP had room to select #3 and #4 for virtually any reason under the sun since it was so unclear who those teams ought to have been. From a college football fan's perspective, I'm okay with that even though I'm convinced Bama would have beaten anyone other than Georgia rather easily. As much as I think last night's blowout hurt the CFP's reputation, putting Bama in there with 2 losses, no impressive wins, and after one of the most penalized seasons in the country, the CFP would have been criticized even more.

I agree with you. I Stated this in another thread, but it is probably better here…

Are we watching Georgia’s defense?! That’s what Bama should look like…what we used to look like. Georgia is physical, imposing and they play with an attitude. I hope Nick is watching and not just commentating…

Are we watching the Georgia offense? That offensive line is just manhandling TCU. The running backs run hard (like Ingram & Richardson). This is what Bama should be…but Bama looks soft (except for a couple of players).
We’re definitely on the same page. Now, I know a lot of my fellow Bama fans have dismissed UGA this season for any number of reasons. And I have disagreed with them almost every time. To me, Georgia has acted and played like Bama did between 2008-2012. And like Bama in 2013, the pups will have a good shot at a three peat in 2023. Though, if Smart pulls it off I’ll have to move away from the state I’ve called home my entire life! It’s awful today … thoug I sure wish I had opened a Fanatic store this year. There can’t possibly be any remaining UGA stuff on any shelves.

Maybe all of what Saban saw and heard while at the game last night will reinvigorate him. As I said, I so hope to see Bama play dominating and aggressive defense again because I’m not nearly ready for the Saban era to be done!

Back
Top Bottom