10/19: LSU - L
10/26: at Texas A&M - L
11/2: at Arkansas - W
11/9: BYE
11/16: Alabama - L
11/23: Abilene Christian - W
11/28 (Thursday): Ole Miss - W

8-4, (4-4)

As long as that team on top is the team on top when it's said and done, nothing else matters. I think though, maybe, State takes the barn and that Haw Haw's guys drop one they shouldn't.
I can't remember the kids name...QB that transferred in from Penn State. His experience with Moorhead gives me reason to suspect they'll pull a win or two that wasn't expected this season.

The transfer QB at Arkansas is one to watch as well.

Hard to imagine an Ogeron coached team winning 11 games during the regular season. Yeah I know they were 10-3 last year but only 9 games in the regular season.
I wonder how they'll react to Georgia Southern to start the season with Texas looming in week two. As I recall, GSU is still running their option offense. Are they going to spend time working through their blocking schemes in the pre-season or will there be more attention paid to Texas?

On the other hand, we have to remember Auburn hasn't won in Baton Rouge since the '90's, right? Florida, in Baton Rouge, for LSU's homecoming?

I can't remember the kids name...QB that transferred in from Penn State. His experience with Moorhead gives me reason to suspect they'll pull a win or two that wasn't expected this season.

The transfer QB at Arkansas is one to watch as well.

I wonder how they'll react to Georgia Southern to start the season with Texas looming in week two. As I recall, GSU is still running their option offense. Are they going to spend time working through their blocking schemes in the pre-season or will there be more attention paid to Texas?

On the other hand, we have to remember Auburn hasn't won in Baton Rouge since the '90's, right? Florida, in Baton Rouge, for LSU's homecoming?

Tommy Stevens...I think is his name

8/31: Louisiana (in New Orleans, LA) - W
9/7: Southern Miss - W
9/14: Kansas State - W
9/21: Kentucky - W
9/28: at Auburn - L
10/5: BYE
10/12: at Tennessee - W
10/19: LSU - L
10/26: at Texas A&M - L
11/2: at Arkansas - W
11/9: BYE
11/16: Alabama - L
11/23: Abilene Christian - W
11/28 (Thursday): Ole Miss - W

8-4, (4-4)
@tennessee and ole ms got to be tossups. Maybe even KY and KState. Moorehead didn't show anything last year with a pretty good bunch.

That was the beauty of what Mullen's brought to the dawgs. Who could mask a deficiency at QB better than that guy. Moorhead was trying to treat Fritzgerald like he could actually pass and it was a big mistake. He probably wasted the most talented team in Starkvegas in the past decade.

Moorehead didn't show anything last year with a pretty good bunch.
On the other hand, I feel he did a pretty good job last year.

Think about this for a minute. One, he was a first year coach. Two, and most importantly, a first year coach at Mississippi State. And, here's what I see capping his inaugural season off: the team didn't take a step back finishing with eight wins in the regular season (W's over Auburn and A&M)

He probably wasted the most talented team in Starkvegas in the past decade
2014, 2015, and then I"d put 2018.

2014, 2015, and then I"d put 2018.

I think the 2014 team was the most dangerous and probably overall the most talented. We nearly killed Dak in Starkvegas in 2015. They tried to run a big 12 no back offense at Bama and how he survived the game physically is the stuff of legends.

I should rephrase it, I think the 2018 team had the most talent on defense coming back of the Mullen era. Had Mullen stuck around I don't think they were a 4 loss team.

I should rephrase it, I think the 2018 team had the most talent on defense coming back of the Mullen era. Had Mullen stuck around I don't think they were a 4 loss team.
Even on defense, I still have to go to the two earlier years. If you recall, when they made that run in the BCS standings Mullen had a solid two deep rotation on the defensive line. The returning players were one of the reasons they had as much preseason hype the following season.

I thought they'd do better last year than the 8 win mark. It was largely based on Moorhead and his work with quarterbacks. It was, or certainly seemed to be, a safe assumption we'd see improvement with Fitzgerald in his senior season. Yet, it mirrored his junior year.

Even on defense, I still have to go to the two earlier years. If you recall, when they made that run in the BCS standings Mullen had a solid two deep rotation on the defensive line. The returning players were one of the reasons they had as much preseason hype the following season.

I thought they'd do better last year than the 8 win mark. It was largely based on Moorhead and his work with quarterbacks. It was, or certainly seemed to be, a safe assumption we'd see improvement with Fitzgerald in his senior season. Yet, it mirrored his junior year.

Everything's relative. Problem is trying to use on the field success to qualify a team that Mullen didn't coach. So the results are not as telling.

Specifically, talent-wise, the dawgs have never had 3 first-round picks. The defense gave the NFL Simmons, Sweat, and Abram, Green was also chosen in the later round. I recall our game with the dawgs in 2017. If not for Jalen having an out of body experience throwing the ball and hitting Devonte late for the go-ahead TD we were in big trouble. I think they were set up for a big year. Just didn't happen with Moorehead.

Problem is trying to use on the field success to qualify a team that Mullen didn't coach.
What other way would one define the quality of a team besides on the field success? That's the point, is it not? We're seeing people say he didn't do well and yet we saw the program maintain its footing evidenced by their on the field success.

If not for Jalen having an out of body experience throwing the ball and hitting Devonte late for the go-ahead TD we were in big trouble.
Dude, once again you're knocking on Jalen and it's wrong. "Out of body experience" on a simple pitch and catch? It was a simple post pattern and the pass didn't travel more than 10 yards. It was one of the easier throws he had to make all season: a pattern that was a staple of the offense.

You just said:

I think I'm saying the same thing.

On a side note but still somewhat fascinating to me was Moorehead's confession at media days about his boast that Miss St should go ahead and start ordering the rings. That's a man that came off the plane totally blind to what he was getting into. The fact that he confessed just that was amazing and it makes me wonder what message that sends to his current group. Said he didn't realize historically how many 10 win seasons the dawgs have had. How difficult the SEC would be. What? Can an assistant coach, coaching anywhere, be that clueless? No, not surprising the results this guy got with a lot of talent in the barn.

Dude, once again you're knocking on Jalen and it's wrong. "Out of body experience" on a simple pitch and catch? It was a simple post pattern and the pass didn't travel more than 10 yards. It was one of the easier throws he had to make all season: a pattern that was a staple of the offense.

No, I'm not. I think the Miss St. game in Starkville in 2017 was the best game Jalen had running and particularly throwing as a Crimson Tider. We were getting beat at the LOS all night. They kept going ahead and Jalen, almost single handily was bringing us back all night. If that was the Jalen that showed up against the barners 2 weeks later, we wouldn't have lost.

How difficult the SEC would be. What? Can an assistant coach, coaching anywhere, be that clueless?
Yes. We see it all the time. How often do you see people criticize the SEC schedule under the guise of OOC competition? And, that's followed by comments about "SECESPN" or something along those lines when referencing power index, rankings, etc.

No, I'm not. I think the Miss St. game in Starkville in 2017 was the best game Jalen had running and particularly throwing as a Crimson Tider. We were getting beat at the LOS all night. They kept going ahead and Jalen, almost single handily was bringing us back all night. If that was the Jalen that showed up against the barners 2 weeks later, we wouldn't have lost.
Yes, you are.

He completed 10 passed that night. 10. And this was "...the best game Jalen had running and particularly throwing...?" He only ran for around 40 yards that night on what, 20 something carries?

And the video that was linked following my post was the exact play you called out when you said...

having an out of body experience throwing the ball

Alabama vs. Mississippi State - Play-By-Play - November 11, 2017 - ESPN

Back
Top Bottom