| RECRUIT 2018 Recruiting Class Updates

Is Bama really missing out on top recruits?

I take a quick look at the players at each position who have legit, committable offers from Alabama. I also throw in the abundance of top recruits still remaining on the big board.

Will these ease any minds? Probably not. I gave it a try though.

Quarterbacks
Trevor Lawrence- Clemson
Emory Jones- Ohio State
Jack Tuttle- Utah
Dorian Thompson-Robinson- UCLA

Thoughts- Bama is only taking one QB. Alabama has a sophomore who is the reigning SEC Offensive Player of the Year in Jalen Hurts. UA also has one of the best freshman QBs in the country in Tua Tagovailoa. What do fans expect? Another elite QB to sit behind these guys for a few years....

Bama is in the mix for recent USC decommitment Matt Corral. Alabama also hopes to get Jack Tuttle to Tuscaloosa for a visit. It's possible two-time Kentucky commitment Jarren Williams makes a trip to Alabama.

Running backs
James Cook-FSU

Thoughts: Have you seen Alabama's backfield lately? Yes, Bama will get a running back in this year's class. The only one who has committed UA would have accepted a commitment from is James Cook. Yes, he is Dalvin Cook's younger brother. I think Bama is in good shape with Asa Martin. Zamir White remains a hope for Alabama, but it's not really a huge loss if UA missed. It is definitely a monster gain if UA gets him, but Bama is in pretty good shape at RB.

Wide receivers
Joshua Moore- Nebraska
Mark Pope- Miami

Thoughts: So, Bama has only missed on two receivers out of lot of targets. I'm not even sure Pope could have committed. Probably, but Bama also wanted to get him back on campus.

Look a this group of uncommitted WRs and tell me Bama is struggling...

Justyn Ross
Jaylen Waddle
Tommy Bush
Jacob Copeland
Seth Williams
Kearis Jackson

Alabama is only taking 3-4 receivers in his class. A few of these guys are also considered in the athlete categeory- Waddle, Copeland, Jackson. Alabama also has a commitment from Xavier Williams. He claims his commitment is 100-percent.

Tight ends
Will Mallory- Miami

Thoughts: Dominick Wood-Anderson has always been Alabama's No.1 TE target. He announces a decision on August 1. He is taking an official visit to Alabama on July 21. So we will see. Luke Ford just came back from a great trip to Alabama. Alabama is at the top of his list. Alabama also really likes Glenn Beal from Louisiana. The plan has always been to take one tight end. I don't think UA will pass on a combo of Wood-Anderson and Ford if can get both.

Offensive line
Brey Cook- Oklahoma
Cade Mays- Tennessee
Emil Ekiyor- Michigan

Thoughts: This is another very small group for Alabama in 2018. Cook and Mays are the only two OL targets I know with committable offers who are going elsewhere. Both have been committed for a long time. Ekiyor is expected to return to Alabama in July with his entire family.

Alabama is in good shape with Penei Sewell, and Nick Petit-Frere. Jerome Carvin is another strong target.

Defensive line
Taron Vincent- Ohio State
Xavier Thomas- Clemson
Max Wright- Texas A&M
Robert Cooper-FSU
Darnell Jefferies-Clemson
Ron Tatum-Oklahoma

Thoughts: The players mentioned above could have committed to Alabama. Bama was never really in the running for Vincent. Thomas gave an early commitment to Clemson. Cooper also committed early, but has visited Alabama since his decision.

Wright was probably the most surprising. He has been heavily pursued by the Tide. We'll see how the season goes for Kevin Sumlin. You never know what might happen. Alabama really liked Jefferies. He committed to Clemson instead. Sorry, the Tigers beat Alabama on that one. Emmit Gooden, from what I learned today, was not a take for Alabama at this time.

Here are some names to focus:

Bobby Brown
Jeffery Johnson
Coynis Miller
Caleb Tremblay
Tyreke Smith
Judge Culpepper
Trevor Trout
Fabien Lovett
Jalen Cunningham (still has a chance to earn offer)

IMO, this is an important position. Bama missed on a few guys. There are not a lot of elite DTs throughout the country. Just hard to find. Alabama is still evaluating players.

Linebackers
Brenton Cox-Ohio State
Terajeda Mitchell-Ohio State
Palaie Gaoteote-USC

Thoughts: Alabama is in pretty good shape at LB. Bama didn't push for Cox when he committed to the Buckeyes. I think UA regrets that decision and have turned up the heat since the spring. Mitchell was also a top target. His top two were Ohio State and FSU. Gaoteote never visited.

Alabama has commitments from Jordan Davis and Quay Walker. I think Alabama is pretty excited about those two players.

Who else is still out there?

KJ Henry
Micah Parsons
JJ Peterson
Eyabi Anoma
Cameron Latu
Andres Fox
Michael Harris
Vernon Jackson

Is that enough possibilities for 2-3 spots?

Defensive backs
Gurvan Hall- Miami
Derrik Allen-Notre Dame
Nadab Joseph-LSU
Kelvin Joseph- LSU
Josh Jobe- Miami

Thoughts: Alabama has the chance to flip 2-3 guys from the group above. I definitely think the most likely is Nabab Joseph, followed by Kelvin Joseph. Jobe is keeping things pretty quiet, but Alabama is working extremely hard behind the scenes.

Kyler McMichael
Jalyn Armour-Davis
Jaycee Horn
Houston Griffith
Patrick Surtain Jr.
Tyson Campbell
Kevontae Ruggs
Devon Williams
Joseph Foucha
Talanoa Hufanga

The players mentioned are all still in-play for Alabama. UA needs to get Campbell and Sustain on campus to have a chance.

Recruiting - BONE: Is Bama really missing out on top recruits? | BamaInsider.com

What it means: Jalyn Armour-Davis

The commitment

Jalyn Armour-Davis, four-star cornerback from St. Paul's Episcopal School in Mobile, announced his commitment to the Crimson Tide on Friday. Armour-Davis is surprisingly the first in-state commitment for Alabama in the 2018 class. Alabama turned up the heat for Armour-Davis since the early part of the spring. Jeremy Pruitt led the charge for the Tide.

Armour-Davis revealed a top six shortly after National Signing Day. Most were surprised when Alabama was not on the list. There was some ground to make up, but there was also an indication Alabama would eventually become a major contender for the elite prospect.

He was set to make his decision last month with Alabama, Auburn and Florida State as the top three. Alabama was perceived the favorite shortly after a video conference with Nick Saban. Armour-Davis wanted to make sure his decision was 100-percent before announcing his commitment. He decided to wait.

Armour-Davis took a 'low-key' visit to Alabama earlier this month prior to the start of the Crimson TIde's first high school camp. Alabama felt very good about the position with Armour-Davis, and he ended his recruitment on Friday.

The player

Armour-Davis is a tremendous athlete who gets it done on both sides of the ball. He has great size and speed. Speed was the only question Alabama had about Armour-Davis prior to making a big push for him. He ran a 10.7 100m with a bad hamstring. Questions answered. Armour-Davis will play on both sides of the ball this fall- corner and receiver. He can move around in the defensive backfield once he arrives in Tuscaloosa. This is a big pick up for the Crimson Tide, and one Alabama is very excited to have on board.

"Very smooth corner. Changes direction well and breaks on the ball. Willing tackler although he needs to be more aggressive and playing lower. Can play press or off, but I think he's more confident getting his hands on receivers off the line and that fits him well with what Bama wants to do."- Rivals.com National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell

"Armour-Davis is a great athlete who makes plays on both sides of the ball. He shows quickness, explosion and great change of direction on offense and defense, but while he can make plays with the ball in his hands, his future is to keep the ball away from wide receivers. He has good length, receiver-like ball skills, his footwork is a strength and he flashes toughness and aggression. He is a little light, so he can add weight and he can improve as a tackler as well."- Southeast Recruiting Analyst Chad Simmons

The numbers

Alabama is still in position to add 3-4 more defensive backs in the 2018 class. Armour-Davis gives Alabama five commitments (total). The focus is more on cornerbacks instead of safeties in this year's class. Armour-Davis can be considered a defensive back athlete who has the ability to play a few different positions.

From the Insider Report on Thursday
Many DB targets in the mix

This is the position Alabama fans need to remain patient. There is a chance this could turn into a very special class if Alabama can get its key targets.

Josh Jobe, four-star safety from Columbus High School in Miami, and Tyson Campbell, Rivals100 cornerback from American Heritage High School in Plantation, Florida, are both expected to return to Tuscaloosa next month.

They are high on Alabama's wish list (as stated in the past). Coach Saban saw both prospects at the FIU satellite camp two weekends ago. Jobe remains committed to Miami, and in the public eye is very solid. However, he is talking to Alabama very often.

Patrick Surtain Jr., five-star cornerback from American Heritage High School in Plantation, Florida, is another big target expected to visit in July. Alabama has a lot of ground to make up with Surtain.

Alabama is in very good shape for Jalyn Armour-Davis, four-star safety from St. Paul's Episcopal School in Mobile, and Jaycee Horn, four-star cornerback from Alpharetta High School in Georgia. Alabama won't turn down Armour-Davis. I'm starting to wonder if the recent discussion between Jobe/Campbell with Nick Saban may have influenced him to wait on Horn (for now). It's a little surprising Horn has not committed, and possibly a reason why. He was very good at camp. (Armour-Davis committed to Alabama, Horn released a top two on Friday which included Alabama and South Carolina)

Nadab Joseph, four-star safety from Catholic High School in Hialeah, Florida, will take an official visit to Alabama on November 4. The LSU commitment made a strong impression on Alabama at camp a few weeks ago when he earned an offer from Nick Saban. This is definitely one I can see flipping to Alabama.

Alabama is still pressing hard to flip Kelvin Joseph, Rivals100 safety from Scotlandville High School in Baton Rouge. The LSU commitment had another great trip to Tuscaloosa a few weeks ago. He is also expected to return to Alabama next month. Nick Saban, Derrick Ansley and Jeremy Pruitt are working hard on this one.

Kyler McMichael, Rivals100 athlete from Greater Atlanta Christian High School in Norcross, Georgia, announces a decision on Friday. Odds favor Clemson. Bama has been in the running. However, he had a previously planned trip scheduled to Alabama this weekend. He won't visit Alabama. I've heard as of Thursday afternoon he has not informed any coaching staff of his decision. He is a definite take.(McMichael committed to Clemson on Friday)

We will see what happens with Kevontae Ruggs, four-star linebacker from Lee High School in Montgomery. I think he is a good prospect, and has a chance to develop. He had a great junior season, and Alabama liked him at camp. Possible blueshirt/grayshirt candidate which I think he will accept.

A few other DBs still on the Tide's recruiting board with offers include Matthew Hill, four-star athlete from Brookwood High School in Snellville, Georgia, and Joseph Foucha, four-star safety from McDonough 35 High School in New Orleans. Hill visited Alabama last weekend. I've heard the visit went extremely well.

Alabama will need to miss on some guys down the road, but staff was very impressed with a Wake Forest commitment at camp. Peyton Woulard, three-star safety from Collins Hill High School in Suwanee, Georgia. Hey, the Demon Deacons can also get good players!

Alabama is not opposed to taking a JuCo cornerback. The Crimson Tide likes a pair of DBs who have been on campus this summer. I hear there is a good chance might take one- if it's the right fit, and also if they can graduate in December. Alabama likes Domonique Williams, three-star cornerback from Highland Community College in Kansas, and Delrick Abrams, three-star cornerback from Independence Community College in Kansas.

As you can see-- there are a lot of DBs in position to possibly join Alabama's class.

Recruiting - What it means: Jalyn Armour-Davis | BamaInsider.com

Back
Top Bottom