| BSB/SB ⚾ #11 Alabama drops Saturday DH to UGA, game 3 on Sunday at noon (SEC Network+)

He did it again. Just hit one 500 feet off Alton Davis and UGA has the lead in the 8th.

PITCH AROUND HIM.
Back in ‘98, Sylacauga HS was headed to Millbrook to face Stanhope Elmore HS in the semifinals of the state baseball tournament. SEHS had a kid that was leading the state in HRs(25+) and SHS had seen him earlier in the season and had served up a few of those 💣. They decided that someone else would have to beat them and prove that they could do it, but the HR leader wouldn’t get a pitch to hit. I believe Sylacauga swept them and the kid had 1 official AB in the DH, a K on 3 pitches in his final appearances. He was intentionally walked 6 or 7 times on the day. Sylacauga then faced Bradshaw the next week to win their 2nd title and go back to back in 5A.

Back in ‘98, Sylacauga HS was headed to Millbrook to face Stanhope Elmore HS in the semifinals of the state baseball tournament. SEHS had a kid that was leading the state in HRs(25+) and SHS had seen him earlier in the season and had served up a few of those 💣. They decided that someone else would have to beat them and prove that they could do it, but the HR leader wouldn’t get a pitch to hit. I believe Sylacauga swept them and the kid had 1 official AB in the DH, a K on 3 pitches in his final appearances. He was intentionally walked 6 or 7 times on the day. Sylacauga then faced Bradshaw the next week to win their 2nd title and go back to back in 5A.

I think some guys believe it is showing a weakness to put a guy on like that... also can be some stubborness in play. In re: to UA today, I think (hope?) Vaughn is still on an SEC learning curve with some of this stuff. Some of these kids are a different breed of hitter than what he was used to seeing at Maryland... and Condon is in a class by himself right now.

Bad news continues for Bama in Athens this weekend... down 2-1 in the 2nd, which isn't terrible, but Hagan Banks just got pulled because of an injury. Would be a significant blow if it is serious (and it didn't appear to be minor), but now it's up to the bullpen for today... and the Bama is going to need to score some runs...

UGA gets the sweep with a 10-5 win. An ugly weekend where very little went right for the Tide... Timely hitting was bad, the pitching put the team in a hole from the start (every game), the defense was as bad as its been all year, and Bama likely (it appears on the surface at least) lost another weekend starter to a significant injury. Unfortunately, from a pitching perspective anyway, they have a short week to rebound. They play Belmont tomorrow (in Huntsville) and then start the 3 games series with South Carolina on Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom