| BSB/SB ⚾ Alabama sweeps Illinois-Chicago with 9-7 Sunday afternoon win

B

Bama News

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama baseball welcomes the University of Illinois-Chicago to Sewell-Thomas Stadium for a three-game series from Friday through Sunday. Game one is scheduled for 3 p.m. CT followed by a 2 p.m. start on Saturday and a Noon first pitch in Sunday's series finale. All three games will air live on SEC Network+.

The series finale on Sunday will resume 'Kids' Day at The Joe' after last weekend's brief break. All kids 18-and-under can purchase a $5 general admission ticket. Children will also have the chance to run the bases postgame.

Follow the Tide​

Fans can follow the series via the below outlets:
Watch: SEC Network+
Listen: 100.9 FM / CTSN / The Varsity App
Twitter: @AlabamaBSB
Live Stats: RollTide.com

Probable Starting Pitching Matchups​

FRIDAY: UAGrayson Hitt (Jr., LHP) vs. UIC – Kade Lancour (Gr., RHP)
SATURDAY: UABen Hess (So., RHP) vs. UIC – TBA
SUNDAY: UAJacob McNairy (Gr., RHP) vs. UIC – TBA

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama baseball used three home runs to claim an 11-1 win in seven innings over UIC on Friday evening at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. The victory moves the 20th-ranked Crimson Tide to 10-0 on the year.

Alabama jumped out front early with five runs on only one hit in the first. The lone hit was a grand slam from Tommy Seidl to stake the Tide to a big lead early. UA then added two in the second, including a solo homer from Colby Shelton, before UIC got on the board with one in the top of the third. The Crimson Tide answered with a run of its own in the fifth followed by three in the sixth, one of which came on Shelton's second homer of the evening, to secure the 11-1 win.

Shelton's two homers moved him to four on the season with the freshman adding two RBI and a pair of runs scored on Friday. Seidl finished with a career-high and Alabama season-high six RBI as part of a 2-for-3 night with a run scored. Andrew Pinckney and Jim Jarvis each contributed an RBI of their own, with Pinckney doubling and Jarvis matching Shelton's team-high two runs scored.

Grayson Hitt (2-0) picked up his second win of the season with 5.0 frames of one-run baseball. Hitt allowed four hits and issued three walks while striking out five. Hagan Banks followed with 2.0 scoreless innings of relief that included four punchouts.

From Head Coach Brad Bohannon

"This was another great effort from our club. I really liked the way we came out hot today. The top of the order did a really great job of taking some borderline pitches and, obviously, Tommy Seidl put a good swing on that (grand slam) ball. When you score five in the first and you got Grayson Hitt on the mound with a fresh bullpen behind him, you're feeling pretty good. Grayson gave us a really good start, Hagan (Banks) was outstanding behind him and we had the three home runs. It was a good night for our club."

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama baseball blanked UIC on Saturday afternoon at Sewell-Thomas Stadium for the 10-0 series-clinching win in seven innings. The 20th-ranked Crimson Tide remain as the only undefeated team in the Southeastern Conference and sit at 11-0 on the year.

A pitchers' duel early saw both teams stay scoreless until the fifth. Alabama broke through for three in the home half of that frame before posting a six-spot in the sixth. The Tide then crossed one run in the seventh to secure the run-rule and shutout victory.

Alabama's offense was led once again by Colby Shelton. The freshman stayed red-hot with a second two-homer game in as many days, including his first career grand slam. Shelton finished 2-for-4 with a team-high five RBI and two runs scored. Also homering was Andrew Pinckney, with the right fielder going 2-for-3 with two RBI and one run.

Ben Hess (2-0) picked up the win with a solid 5.2 scoreless innings of work in his start. The right-hander allowed just one hit and issued three walks to go with eight strikeouts before turning the ball over to Alton Davis II. Davis II earned the save with 1.1 frames to close out the afternoon.

From Assistant Coach Jason Jackson

"I'm really happy with the win. It was a little bit of a pitchers' duel early – their guy did a really good job of changing speeds and kept us off balance. We hit some balls hard right at guys, and I think our players did a great job of not getting frustrated and kept on having great at-bats. Ben Hess matched every single zero and gave us a chance to get on the board first. Then, you to go to the bullpen, and pair that with an obviously great day from Colby Shelton."

How It Happened​

• B5 | Colby Shelton helped the Tide strike first with a solo homer. Ed Johnson followed with a single before Andrew Pinckney hit a home run of his own to score the pair. (3-0, Alabama)
  • B6 | Jim Jarvis doubled with one down and came across in the next at-bat thanks to an RBI-single from Dominic Tamez. Another single and a walk loaded the bases for Shelton, with the freshman hitting his second homer of the game – this one a grand slam. After a single, walk and hit-by-pitch loaded the bases once again, a sacrifice fly from William Hamiter added one more. (9-0, Alabama)
  • B7 | Jaxson West started the inning with a walk. Two outs followed before a double by pinch-hitter Mason Swinney put the pair in scoring position. Max Williams was next up, sending a double to left-center to end the ballgame. (10-0, Alabama)

Was out of town yesterday for a wedding, in auburn of all place, but back in the saddle today for some Bama baseball. Listened via the Varsity app yesterday then saw highlights this morning. True freshman Colby Shelton is tearing it up. Haven't heard Bohannon mention it, but I hope come SEC play he slides him back out of the leadoff spot. McNairy on the mound today for Bama as they go for the sweep.

@SnakeDoc SEC is LOADED when it comes to baseball!! 6 teams inside the Top 10!!!! A&M at 15 and BAMA at 18!!! 5 of the 8 total come from the West division! Got to win our home series and get a few on the road. Our starting pitching and relief will determine whether we get to a Regional and perhaps a Super Regional.

Those of you who have been watching the team so far, what are some realistic post season expectations?

UAgrad mentioned it, but SEC play is going to be a different animal than what they've faced so far. They start off in Gainesville against a really good Florida team. Up to this point though, despite the easy schedule, they've looked good (better than I was expecting for sure). Overall, the hitting has been excellent. Most promising thing to me though, is their approach at the plate as a whole has been better too... hopefully it stays that way when the level of pitching ramps up soon. I'm not quite as confident about the weekend starters at this point, but the potential is there, and it's still too early in the year to make too many assumptions about them. Would definitely help to get Garrett McMillan (muscle strain) back sooner rather than later. The arms in the pen though have thus far proven to be pretty stout. Lot of young guys there though, so there will be some inconsistency. The back end of the pen could end up being one of the top ones in the SEC if a couple of the younger guys keep improving.

I've seen very little of other SEC teams yet, mush less some other top teams.. hard to say how far UA could go. But, they have the bats, they have the best depth they've had in years, and they have a deep pitching staff with some talented young arms. It's the most excited I've been about the team in quite some time.

UAgrad mentioned it, but SEC play is going to be a different animal than what they've faced so far. They start off in Gainesville against a really good Florida team. Up to this point though, despite the easy schedule, they've looked good (better than I was expecting for sure). Overall, the hitting has been excellent. Most promising thing to me though, is their approach at the plate as a whole has been better too... hopefully it stays that way when the level of pitching ramps up soon. I'm not quite as confident about the weekend starters at this point, but the potential is there, and it's still too early in the year to make too many assumptions about them. Would definitely help to get Garrett McMillan (muscle strain) back sooner rather than later. The arms in the pen though have thus far proven to be pretty stout. Lot of young guys there though, so there will be some inconsistency. The back end of the pen could end up being one of the top ones in the SEC if a couple of the younger guys keep improving.

I've seen very little of other SEC teams yet, mush less some other top teams.. hard to say how far UA could go. But, they have the bats, they have the best depth they've had in years, and they have a deep pitching staff with some talented young arms. It's the most excited I've been about the team in quite some time.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom