| FTBL Zach Arnett fired

I've never seen a situation like this. After a game, BOTH coaches are fired. aTm was on the winning side of 51-10 and Jimbo got the ax. Granted, Arnett was on the losing end, but still, fired before his first season is over?

I guess MSU thought he was not the right fit for their team after all. Arnett was hired late, after the death of Mike Leach. yes, he was on the MSU staff as DC. He put in a completely different offensive system than what Leach had been running and have success with at MSU. I figured he would have another year but its win now or be gone (if you do not have a large buyout).

Last edited:
I think A&M along w/ MSU saw the writing on the wall with average results, at best, made the call. I wonder if it is also them making moves for up & coming coaches now to be ahead of the curve.

Re: both MSU and tamu, schools aren't supposed to fire coaches in the middle (sorta) of the season if they don't have a replacement lined up. I wonder if one beat the other to the punch to get Elko.

MSU is actually not a bad gig. Granted it ain't Jimbo aTm money, but the pay ain't bad. And they will hang on to you as long as you don't just get blown out by Ole Miss every year and you make a bowl game. And it doesn't have to be a NY 6 bowl. Anything beyond 7 wins is considered a bonus

MSU is actually not a bad gig. Granted it ain't Jimbo aTm money, but the pay ain't bad. And they will hang on to you as long as you don't just get blown out by Ole Miss every year and you make a bowl game. And it doesn't have to be a NY 6 bowl. Anything beyond 7 wins is considered a bonus

In terms of football, it's probably the 2nd worst SEC job behind Vandy, but they can still pay well... and the 2nd worst SEC job is still better than most any other mid-tier [insert Power 5 conference here] job. But there are obstacles and challenges... guys with different styles and personalities seem to fit well there... Mullen and Leach. More buttoned up guys like Moorhead and Arnett... not so much. Just like Mullen wasn't a good fit at Florida. That part of it is overlooked, but is almost always vital to long term success.

Back
Top Bottom