| FTBL You don't believe Mallett's throws have been clocked at 115 mph?

Chart it out. For example, initial upwards velocity = 160 ft/sec (to make the numbers convenient. The ball then decelerates 32 feet/sec each second. 1 second out v = 128 ft/sec, 2 seconds = 96 ft/sec, etc.

5 seconds out velocity = 0 and it starts back down, adding in 32 ft/sec of velocity each second on the way down.

V = Vi -gt, so from the example at t = 10, V = 160 -(32x10) = -160

(Vi is the initial velocity and g = the gravitational constant).

Good call you guys! I was at work and spent about twenty seconds trying to do the math before I had to go. Try this:

Ryan Mallet's 115mph throw = BS

:td:

But most importantly of all.....

WHO THE HECK CARES?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!?

He can throw faster than any QB in history and it will never be more important than touch and accuracy. This is college football, not the Bonneville Salt Flats.

But most importantly of all.....

WHO THE HECK CARES?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!?

He can throw faster than any QB in history and it will never be more important than touch and accuracy. This is college football, not the Bonneville Salt Flats.

:lol:

Hope our linebackers and secondary get multiple chances at picking off such high velocity projectiles.

I wonder if the Bama's coaching staff at practice simulated the speed of Mallett's throws by having the defense stand a couple feet from a ball machine and attempt to catch "passes." :dazed:

Last edited:
New Arkansas quarterback has a strong arm, but come on. ...

Read More Here...

TUSCALOOSA -- Has a pass by Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett really been clocked at 115 mph?

That's a fact you will find in a story in today's edition of The Birmingham News.

Some readers understandably are skeptical. The fact came from a story about Mallett by Tom Murphy, one of two Arkansas beat reporters for Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.(Murphy is a former Alabama beat reporter for the Mobile Press-Register.)

That story attributes the 115 mph fact to Arkansas tight end D.J. Williams. (But it doesn't make the fact true.)

"Ryan Mallett has the strongest arm in college football," said All-SEC tight end D.J. Williams. "I've caught some balls that I had to take my gloves off because he ripped all the sticky stuff off of them." Williams said the Razorbacks have timed Mallett's throws at 115 mph with a Juggs gun.

A reader has sent me a link to an actual experiment done regarding the speed of a football compared to the speed of a baseball.

According to this reader, there is a factor of 1.68 when calculating how fast a baseball would travel in comparison to a football. This means that Mallett's 115 mph football pass is equivalent to throwing a baseball 193.2 mph.

115mph.....I find that hard to believe. Why doesnt he pitch in the majors then? Gezee, if he can throw a football that fast then a baseball would be nothing. I see the whole ratio comparison, no way. Sorry, I would have to see it to believe it.

Ah I see, its coming back.
I know you should be able to tell just how high the ball will have to go up using the position equation for that(For when v = 0), but I dont seem to be working it right(its been a year and a half since i did this in cal 1, im about to hit it in 3d with cal3 i imagine)

(my initial feel is to start number crunching before i do the graphing......thats how ive operated forever, and how ive done certain problems without a graphing calculator)

Hopefully you learned kinematics in physics. We did some stuff with kinematics in cal 3, but mostly delt with curvature and crazy cordinates. Then agian, its been 4 years since i took cal 3.

I'll say BS to even the equivalent of 115 mph for a baseball. There were some early radar type measurements on Bob Feller's fast ball in the forties. He was clocked at a little over 100 mph. Koufax in the sixties rang up right at 100 mph. Ryan, Clemens, Verlander, all notched a fuzz over 100 mph. To assert that Mallett can throw the equivalent of 15% faster than the fastest pitchers in baseball history is well out there. It should require more proof than a sports writer saying that the Arkansas tight end told him Mallett could bring it at 115.

Back
Top Bottom