| FTBL You don't believe Mallett's throws have been clocked at 115 mph?

New Arkansas quarterback has a strong arm, but come on. ...

Read More Here...

TUSCALOOSA -- Has a pass by Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett really been clocked at 115 mph?

That's a fact you will find in a story in today's edition of The Birmingham News.

Some readers understandably are skeptical. The fact came from a story about Mallett by Tom Murphy, one of two Arkansas beat reporters for Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.(Murphy is a former Alabama beat reporter for the Mobile Press-Register.)

That story attributes the 115 mph fact to Arkansas tight end D.J. Williams. (But it doesn't make the fact true.)

"Ryan Mallett has the strongest arm in college football," said All-SEC tight end D.J. Williams. "I've caught some balls that I had to take my gloves off because he ripped all the sticky stuff off of them." Williams said the Razorbacks have timed Mallett's throws at 115 mph with a Juggs gun.

A reader has sent me a link to an actual experiment done regarding the speed of a football compared to the speed of a baseball.

According to this reader, there is a factor of 1.68 when calculating how fast a baseball would travel in comparison to a football. This means that Mallett's 115 mph football pass is equivalent to throwing a baseball 193.2 mph.

bullshit-meter-0.gif

Mallett throwing a football faster than Koufax ever threw a baseball, or Clemens or Ryan or :bs:Verlander? Give me a break. I'll join Terry with

I've watched reactions on a few sites today about this article. What I haven't seen, yet, is anyone mention...

It's a report from Tom Murphy.

Gravity has a force of -32 feet per second(estimated). Thats 10.1 yards. Terry said that a ball traveling 115 MPH would be 56 yards per second. So doing the simple math the length of half the arc, that it the time the ball takes to drop, is about 5.55 seconds.

I could do the calculus for you, but I forgot what numbers i should stick into certain variables, but needless to say, itd probably have to go 4-5x higher(if not-more) than what a punter can do punting it straight up for that to happen..

Gravity has a force of -32 feet per second(estimated). Thats 10.1 yards. Terry said that a ball traveling 115 MPH would be 56 yards per second. So doing the simple math the length of half the arc, that it the time the ball takes to drop, is about 5.55 seconds.

I could do the calculus for you, but I forgot what numbers i should stick into certain variables, but needless to say, itd probably have to go 4-5x higher(if not-more) than what a punter can do punting it straight up for that to happen..

Just remembering from way back when... It will be going at the same speed coming back down as it was going up. Going up gravity decelerates it by 32 ft/sec/sec. At some point the upwards velocity = 0, and it starts coming back down. On the way down gravity accelerates it by 32 ft/sec/sec until the thud at the end when it returns to the starting point.

Yes, the equation is like:
a = 32ft/s
v = at + C
s = at^2 + Ct + K

If you remember t, tell me, its probably something I should be able to look at and figure out, but I am at a loss :o

Yes, the equation is like:
a = 32ft/s
v = at + C
s = at^2 + Ct + K

If you remember t, tell me, its probably something I should be able to look at and figure out, but I am at a loss :o

Chart it out. For example, initial upwards velocity = 160 ft/sec (to make the numbers convenient. The ball then decelerates 32 feet/sec each second. 1 second out v = 128 ft/sec, 2 seconds = 96 ft/sec, etc.

5 seconds out velocity = 0 and it starts back down, adding in 32 ft/sec of velocity each second on the way down.

V = Vi -gt, so from the example at t = 10, V = 160 -(32x10) = -160

(Vi is the initial velocity and g = the gravitational constant).

Ah I see, its coming back.
I know you should be able to tell just how high the ball will have to go up using the position equation for that(For when v = 0), but I dont seem to be working it right(its been a year and a half since i did this in cal 1, im about to hit it in 3d with cal3 i imagine)

(my initial feel is to start number crunching before i do the graphing......thats how ive operated forever, and how ive done certain problems without a graphing calculator)

Last edited:
New Arkansas quarterback has a strong arm, but come on. ...

Read More Here...

TUSCALOOSA -- Has a pass by Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett really been clocked at 115 mph?

That's a fact you will find in a story in today's edition of The Birmingham News.

Some readers understandably are skeptical. The fact came from a story about Mallett by Tom Murphy, one of two Arkansas beat reporters for Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.(Murphy is a former Alabama beat reporter for the Mobile Press-Register.)

That story attributes the 115 mph fact to Arkansas tight end D.J. Williams. (But it doesn't make the fact true.)

"Ryan Mallett has the strongest arm in college football," said All-SEC tight end D.J. Williams. "I've caught some balls that I had to take my gloves off because he ripped all the sticky stuff off of them." Williams said the Razorbacks have timed Mallett's throws at 115 mph with a Juggs gun.

A reader has sent me a link to an actual experiment done regarding the speed of a football compared to the speed of a baseball.

According to this reader, there is a factor of 1.68 when calculating how fast a baseball would travel in comparison to a football. This means that Mallett's 115 mph football pass is equivalent to throwing a baseball 193.2 mph.

I apologize for not reading the entire thread, but I wanted to respond to this initial post.

What I heard the other day regarding this on ESPN was that Mallett was clocked at 70 (or 70-something) MPH on his throws, which translates into a 115 MPH fastball.

I am not buying that it's humanly possible to throw a football 115 MPH. The whole dynamics of the ball alone (size, weight) seems to make it impossible to do so. I'm calling BS on anyone that says a QB can throw a ball that fast.

from the article linked within the article

"I recently got an email from Numbers Guy reader Matt Viereck, who passed along a curious stat he heard uttered by an ESPN announcer during a Monday Night Football game: A pass thrown by Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb was "equivalent" to a 97 mile-per-hour fastball in baseball"

"ESPN uses the Pass Track system to calculate the path and speed of the football, and then compares its kinetic energy with that of a baseball, which is lighter. Kinetic energy is the energy a moving object contains as a result of its motion, and it is calculated by multiplying one-half the object's mass by the square of its velocity. A football weighs almost a pound, nearly three times the weight of a baseball. It turns out, then, that to find the equivalent speed of a football in baseball terms, you'd multiply its actual speed by 1.68. That McNabb pass was actually traveling at about 58 mph -- speedy, for sure, but less impressive than 97 mph."

115 mph is the baseball equivalent. the actual speed would be 68.45 mph...still damn good...10mph better than mcnabb

The person that wrote the article got the math wrong. He heard 115mph and thought it was actual when it was the equivalent...and then multiplied by 1.68 again to get 193mph.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom