| FTBL Who would you rather Bama land as their new DC?

Who would you want Alabama to land as the new DC?

• Total voters
One thing we know... if a coach ever carves up (or shuts down) a Saban team, that coach immediately goes into Saban's notebook. Would certainly make sense that tires would be kicked.
Read a report(don't know how reliable it is) that Armstrong is going to be the Safeties coach. So if we land Schumann, he's going to be working with the ILB group. And on the OC position, Brady would be a good hire, he's a good offensive mind and runs a lot of good offensive concepts. To me, he's good at finding, and making matchups to put the offense in a very favorable position. I'd also take Dan Mullen, people give him a ton of shit, but he's a great offensive mind. He showed he can run what Saban wants to back in 2020. He changed the way he ran his offense that year because he knew he had a QB, and receivers that would exceed in that type of system. And they were very good at it as well.

Read a report(don't know how reliable it is) that Armstrong is going to be the Safeties coach. So if we land Schumann, he's going to be working with the ILB group. And on the OC position, Brady would be a good hire, he's a good offensive mind and runs a lot of good offensive concepts. To me, he's good at finding, and making matchups to put the offense in a very favorable position. I'd also take Dan Mullen, people give him a ton of shit, but he's a great offensive mind. He showed he can run what Saban wants to back in 2020. He changed the way he ran his offense that year because he knew he had a QB, and receivers that would exceed in that type of system. And they were very good at it as well.
Never been a real fan of Mullen. Always seemed over rated to me. On Brady not sure what to make of him either. Have not followed closely but was it the one year at LSU that everyone is so excited about? How did he do in the NFL?

Last edited:

Armstrong is going to be a coordinator one day, and likely sooner rather than later. Until the pieces are set I doubt guys are set in stone right now... but with his future as a coordinator, learning and being able to teach the back end of the defense is a Saban staple... so him being placed back there wouldn't be shocking at all.

Agree on Brady... a very dynamic passing game... advanced route tree, etc. Like @TerryP, I do wonder if he (as a coordinator) fits the direction that Saban was/is wanting the offense to go.

Mullen is a lot like Kiffin... Really good offensive mind and good QB coach but has issues staying focused and staying on track. And like Kiffin, his personality and Saban's would be oil and matchsticks. After this time off, could he be more energized and be able to dive into and meet Saban's expectations for a couple of years? Probably so, but I'm not so sure he'd find it worth it unless he thought it was his best path back to a major job. He told people privately back in the fall that he had no interest in working for Saban. And after dealing with Kiffin's issues, I'm not sure Saban would want to invite a similar personality back into the mix. But, if he feels that Mullen is the best answer, all bets are certainly off. One thing is for sure, Milroe's chances of being the starter would improve some.

Never been a real fan of Mullen. Always seemed over rate to me. On Brady not sure what to make of him either. Have not followed closely but was it the one year at LSU that everyone is so excited about. How did he do in the NFL?

Rhule hired him as OC for the Panthers, ended up firing him. He's the Bills QB coach this season. Well respected but still young. Burrow credits him with his (and LSU's) success in 2019. Definitely not a, run the football guy. Ultimate goal is to be an NFL HC at some point.

Rhule hired him as OC for the Panthers, ended up firing him. He's the Bills QB coach this season. Well respected but still young. Burrow credits him with his (and LSU's) success in 2019. Definitely not a, run the football guy. Ultimate goal is to be an NFL HC at some point.
Ok so would this be a so so, good or great hire as OC if that happened? I am thinking somehwere between so so and good.

Ok so would this be a so so, good or great hire as OC if that happened? I am thinking somehwere between so so and good.

Saban isn't going to lack candidates who want the spot. It's as close to an automatic springboard to a head coaching spot as you're going to find. With that in mind, and knowing he is basically hiring from a cherry picker, if he were to choose Brandy then I'd consider it a great hire. I just think the Legend of Joe Brady starred to outgrow a little, but that isn't his fault and certainly doesn't mean he isn't good.

My gut tells me you're parsing words a little here; "it isn't because they can't."

We know Saban (and Byrne) have followed compliance when they've said "no" to potential candidates for positions on the staff. If compliance says no to Pruitt, is it your opinion that Saban (and to an extent Byrne) will go against the department?
I would hope almost to the tune of a big “F you!” toward the SEC offices for allowing sleaze balls Pearl, Freeze, and Petrino back in conference. Shit! What Jeremy did at UT is amateur night compared to those guys.

That 2019 LSwho offense was pretty dynamic. Edwards-Helaire did go for a shade over 1400+ on the ground in that offense to go along with the 5600+ yards thru the air from Burrow.

In title, Ensminger. In reality, Brady.
From what I understand, they would call the plays based on situation in the game. I can't remember the exact details, but they both talked about how they'd communicate, and how they called the plays between them in game. I could be misremembering it though. And I haven't really heard anything else about the DC search and when it may end. Only thing I've seen is a report stating that if Schumann were to take the job, it would come either tomorrow, or Monday.

From what I understand, they would call the plays based on situation in the game. I can't remember the exact details, but they both talked about how they'd communicate, and how they called the plays between them in game. I could be misremembering it though. And I haven't really heard anything else about the DC search and when it may end. Only thing I've seen is a report stating that if Schumann were to take the job, it would come either tomorrow, or Monday.
Does this mean it has been offered to him?

The LSU staff went out of their way to respect Ensminger and cover for him for that 2019 season... and he did have play calling input, but Brady was the architect of that passing attack.

Back
Top Bottom