Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LSU

• Other

• Total voters
I

imported_porkchop

Okay, we did the preseason poll, now how bout one on who you think has the best chance of winning it all this year.

It's early and a lot of things can and will change but just for fun.

It is easier to say who will not in no particular order...

1. Texas might make it to their conference championship & lose the competition but I don't see them beating OSU at home on 9/9.
2. PSU. I don't get the logic of them at all. They do have a great defense but they have lost Mike Robinson. He was like BC for us & most of us are certain we will not get too deep into NC race.
3. ND might be in the race b/c the only teams they play that may have a 7+ win season is USC, GT, PSU, Michigan, & Michigan State. Of these teams PSU & Michigan stand a solid chance to beat them, but it's a toss up. Therefore ND could be in just b/c of their week competition.
4. OK plays more wusses w/ the only exceptions of Texas, TT, & Missouri. Maybe Fran can do something w/ A&M give them some competition at home but I hope OK pounds them again.
5. West Va will only play maybe two 9+ win teams, Louisville & Pitt, they should win their conference & be in the Top 5 by end of season.
6. I'm voting against AU simply on the basis that we can beat these guys & that is what I'm pushing for, obviously (so much for objectivity,:wink:). They could enter the Iron Bowl undefeated, very realistic, but I want us to return the favor to them for the '88 or '87 Iron Bowl.
7. LSU plays AU at home. I think AU will be too much for them & BAMA will be looking for payback. Period. It's That simple.
8. NOBODY FROM THE PACK 10!!! Need I elaborate?
9. What about the MIAMI? If they win out against FSU then I don't think anyone (regular schedule & Conferance Championship) can beat these guys. Remeber, they had the best defense in the ACC, statistically, & their offense is getting better. However, what happened to them when they allowed 40 points by LSU w/ a second string QB? Perhaps, they didn't play that many good O's in the ACC.
10. BAMA. As much as I want this as the rest of you, conventional thinking will not allow it. But we could be in the mix depending on how we start & we hold up against UF. Nobody's giving JPW much of chance as a QB as a sophomore or freshman (as some magazines have it). But hey, Brandox Cox was superb after GT & we won a NC w/ Jay Barker as a Sophomore for an O that hardly ever passed. Conventional thinking is against us but that has always helped us.

OSU, seems to be the best fit for me. OSU will play Texas, PSU, Michigan State, Minn, & Michigan. All teams that should finish w/ 7+ wins if not 8+. OSU seems to be more believable to win them all solidly but they could lose to any of them b/c of how they execute or lack thereof, not b/c the other teams dominate. Also, they'll be in the top 5 at preseason so it will be easier to work leap a team or not have to leap a team.

I voted the Buckeyes as National Champs for 2006. Jim Tressel will add another NC to OSU's history books(They have 7 currently last time I looked). Bama will however be BCS bound this year. I think UA takes the SEC Crown over UF in the SECCG and moves onto the Sugar or Orange Bowl.

as much as i hate to say it i think auburn will make a nice run for it. they have a very favorable schedule. i think they have a good chance to come to t-town undefeated. but i certainly hope we kick their arse.

bamafan said:
as much as i hate to say it i think auburn will make a nice run for it. they have a very favorable schedule. i think they have a good chance to come to t-town undefeated. but i certainly hope we kick their arse.

It would be really nice if Auburn comes to T-town undefeated and we end there 4 in a row streak.

So should I interpret Notre Dame's getting 1 vote as an indictment on their shoddy defense or just pure dislike of Notre Dame?

I mean, fact is Notre Dame is going to score points and they play very few quality teams year in year out. This year being no different. Sorry Navy but you don't really qualify as a good team right now....well....and probably never. So is this an indictment on that defense and the assumption that the Irish lose atleast one because of it or is it BAMA fans being BAMA fans? :D

Personally I think that if/when this team gets into any kind of shootout with anyone they will lose. They have ZERO speed on defense and will continue to rely on scoring 40 a game to win.

Maybe the most important early season matchup here is Texas and OSU in Austin. I don't think UT is good enough to get back the BCS, but if OSU can win this game then they are on the fast track to the national title game. Michigan will be their next toughest opponent, but they also face Iowa on the road early in the year in addition to the games that C&WG mentioned.

OSU schedule

porkchop said:
So should I interpret Notre Dame's getting 1 vote as an indictment on their shoddy defense or just pure dislike of Notre Dame?

I mean, fact is Notre Dame is going to score points and they play very few quality teams year in year out. This year being no different. Sorry Navy but you don't really qualify as a good team right now....well....and probably never. So is this an indictment on that defense and the assumption that the Irish lose atleast one because of it or is it BAMA fans being BAMA fans? :D

Personally I think that if/when this team gets into any kind of shootout with anyone they will lose. They have ZERO speed on defense and will continue to rely on scoring 40 a game to win.
USC will get them in L.A. this year @ home. They did it in South Bend last year, and even though White, Bush, and Leinart are gone they still have a good chance of throwing ND out of the Running for the NC, as does Michigan.

If we don't beat them and upset their apple cart, Auburn could win it all. I think they're at least as good as the other teams listed there, and better than more than half of them (PSU, WVU) to name 2.

porkchop said:

Crimson323 said:
USC will get them in L.A. this year @ home. They did it in South Bend last year, and even though White, Bush, and Leinart are gone they still have a good chance of throwing ND out of the Running for the NC, as does Michigan.

I was thinking about this more the other day after we all started talking about this. I'm not sure just how good Notre Dame is. Even Ty Willingham won about 10 games his first year, but if they are good enough to be 12-0 or 11-1 then is there any doubt that they'll be in the NC game?

If there is only one undefeated team and ND has only one loss then they're sure to get the votes to put them at #2. Especially with how high ND will begin the season in the polls, it's going to take at least 2 undefeated teams to keep them out of the NC game. USC and Michigan are probably the only teams that have a legitimate chance of beating them though considering the rest of their schedule.

Back
Top Bottom