| FTBL Who will play what

G

With this outstanding class coming in what postions are open now and can be opend if we have a superstar?

Is QB safe? What about up front in the trenchs where we need help the most? Can some of these FAB freshmen plug holes, on both the offensive side and defensive side of the ball?

Really, where and who do you see starting? Will JJ take a starting spot what about RB? We haven't had a soild back in years, since Shaun IMO.

Optimus said:
With this outstanding class coming in what postions are open now and can be opend if we have a superstar?

With a new OC, I don't know that any position is safe. I believe that our lack of substitution at the QB slot in 2007 was the result of just not having anyone good enough for the coaches to be comfortable with - Saban has never been shy about swapping QB's if one was cold until this past season.
This class has superstars...truly explosive playmakers have been missing from our team since Prothro went down. Arenas is the closest thing we have had, but you don't take over a game on special teams alone...we need someone who will get the ball in his hands on offense and do something with it...and this class has potential in that arena.

Optimus said:
Is QB safe? What about up front in the trenchs where we need help the most? Can some of these FAB freshmen plug holes, on both the offensive side and defensive side of the ball?

QB: see above. If someone is good enough, JPW better not falter. I feel really good about our new OC though. What he did with the QB at Fresno was nothing short of miraculous. He went from worse than JPW was this past season to all-world in one year.

I don't care what anyone says, look for Julio to start against Clemson. We don't have anyone who is as good as he is right now and he will get better. With our losses from graduation, we need the 5 star to do what 5 stars are supposed to do - contribute in a big way on day 1.
RB is a riddle wrapped in an enigma. On paper, we have enough depth to redshirt our new RB's, but the game is not played on paper. Literally all of our current RB's have had injury problems and Ingram looks like the real deal, 3 stars or not. Goode may be wonderful, but he has been rehabbing and you never know that will go.

On defense, I would look for Cody to start at tackle if he can drop 35 pounds in the off season. I have heard that he is working on his weight issue already. It would not surprise me to see Barron pick up starting duties very early. Dareus will probably play, as will Burton Scott and Alonzo Lawrence. Any of them could be starters at the D1 level very quickly. Kerry Murphy is coming out of a year of prep, so he is not a normal frosh. He may contribute...at least one of the incoming DL will, probably more.

Hopefully we will not have to play any of our OL right away. Love will be a monster but he needs to bulk up and get stronger. 285 is smallish for a 6'8 tackle but his potential is incredible.

Optimus said:
Really, where and who do you see starting? Will JJ take a starting spot what about RB? We haven't had a soild back in years, since Shaun IMO.

JJ will start.

As I said, RB is an unknown due to injuries and rehabs. I don't look for all 3 to redshirt though. I disagree about Shaun being the last solid back. Even though he was small, Shaud was a great every down back.

Something else that will be immediately improved upon will be special teams coverage. The one thing Saban brought in with this class is SPEED!! The guys coming in that don't have immediate starting roles will be on special teams coverage. Of course, if Corey Smith's leg is as strong as all indications, we may not have to worry about coverage too much on kickoffs.

BTW, I think Corey Smith will be in the kickoff/punter mix as soon as spring practice starts. He could very well earn the nod at both spots. I don't think he'll be Tiffen out of placekicker though.

Jimmy Johns has officially been moved to linebacker, but in my opinion, he accepted the move a year too late. He is going to have his hands full with the new guys coming in.

I can see Julio playing early on, but a starting role starting game one isn't something I see.

It's an adjustment for any player to make when you are talking how quickly the game moves from High School to College. I believe he'll adjust to it quickly, but not with just a few weeks worth of practice.

I'm willing to bet the Julio gets in in the first game. Just to run some routes, maybe catch a pass. Remember Brodie and Tyler got PT in their first game or two, and thats at QB.
But I don't see him being a big contributor, or in that position, till late in the year. Tons to learn.

TWJUA said:
I'm willing to bet the Julio gets in in the first game. Just to run some routes, maybe catch a pass. Remember Brodie and Tyler got PT in their first game or two, and thats at QB.
But I don't see him being a big contributor, or in that position, till late in the year. Tons to learn.

Brodie was redshirted his first year on campus.

the only players that i think could contribute immediately are Julio Jones, dude prolly coulda started opposite DJ Hall this past year, Terrence Cody (man is a MONSTER! nearly 400 lbs? wow, i think he will be huge in the middle), i could see Burton Scott getting some shots early like a Prothro type player alot in the slot, Chris Jackson i think could contribute early especially since hes gonna be at spring practices, Lawrence could be our Kareem Jackson of this class maybe? dude is supposed to be really good. i think our LB's are going to be EXTREMELY fast. Prince Hall & Rolando McClain inside with Zeke Knight and Jimmy Johns out the outsides and possibly Harbin playing early. id like to see Scott returning kicks with Javier too.

Prince Hall & Rolando McClain inside with Zeke Knight and Jimmy Johns out the outsides and possibly Harbin playing early. id like to see Scott returning kicks with Javier too.[/quote]

Without looking around the SEC at other rosters, I don't know if I would trade that group of linebackers for another. If only our D-line was worth a crap. :cry:

Birdman37 said:
I'd like to see Scott returning kicks with Javier too.

This should be an interesting spot to watch this spring and this fall. Marquis Maze is someone that I thought would be phenomenal at kick returning.

Birdman37 said:
the only players that i think could contribute immediately are Julio Jones, dude prolly coulda started opposite DJ Hall this past year, Terrence Cody (man is a MONSTER! nearly 400 lbs? wow, i think he will be huge in the middle), i could see Burton Scott getting some shots early like a Prothro type player alot in the slot, Chris Jackson i think could contribute early especially since hes gonna be at spring practices, Lawrence could be our Kareem Jackson of this class maybe? dude is supposed to be really good. i think our LB's are going to be EXTREMELY fast. Prince Hall & Rolando McClain inside with Zeke Knight and Jimmy Johns out the outsides and possibly Harbin playing early. id like to see Scott returning kicks with Javier too.

I agree we need a big men on both sides, our defense played well last year, but size was limited on the dline. I'm hoping we will see some holes stoppers this year. I'd love to see us get some sacks, pressure on the QB, and tackles in the backfield. Something I think we didn't have a lot of last year. I think this well be a learning year for all the new kids, but I believe we will being seeing a lot of new faces in some spots. Should be a great year for us we will loose some close games, but it will be because we are young and learning.

Also, our LB core should be outstanding! A freaking wrecking crew! We will be hurting on the CB spots, but hopeful some players will step up and play ball for us! I think our defense could be in the top 10 in the nation. Given that we have some great players coming in or it could be our downfall only time will tell. Should be fun to watch guys!

Chuck-E-Cheeze said:
Prince Hall & Rolando McClain inside with Zeke Knight and Jimmy Johns out the outsides and possibly Harbin playing early. id like to see Scott returning kicks with Javier too.

Without looking around the SEC at other rosters, I don't know if I would trade that group of linebackers for another. If only our D-line was worth a crap. :cry:[/quote]

yea, man if Jimmy Johns continues to progress like the players/coaches were saying he was at the end of the year, that group of LB's could be really special. and i know we're losing Gillberry but i think our D-Line will be much better this year. Davis will prolly play alot more and Cody stuffing up the middle, size will NOT be a problem this year unlike last season.

Argo said:
Birdman37 said:
I'd like to see Scott returning kicks with Javier too.

This should be an interesting spot to watch this spring and this fall. Marquis Maze is someone that I thought would be phenomenal at kick returning.

holy crap i completely forgot about Maze! can u say SPEED KILLS! aw man, they could do some really crazy things with Maze & Burton, and i dont just mean on returns. man that return battle should be nuts in fall camp. they could even go old school and throw 2 players back during punt returns to really scare the hell out of the other teams.

Back
Top Bottom