| MBB/WBB Where SEC media picked teams to finish vs. where they actually finished this season...

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
Here is the SEC media pre-season predicted order of finish from before the season. In parentheses is each team's actual finish. Just an overall glance at how things turned out relative to their expectations.

1. Kentucky (3)
2. Arkansas (10)
3. Tennessee (5)
4. Auburn (7)
5. Alabama (1)
6. Texas A&M (2)
7. Florida (8)
8. LSU (14)
9. Ole Miss (13)
10. Mississippi State (9)
11. Missouri (4)
12. Vanderbilt (6)
13. Georgia (11)
14. South Carolina (12)

Biggest miss in the overrated department = Arkansas*. Underrated = Mizzou.

*LOL

Here is the SEC media pre-season predicted order of finish from before the season. In parentheses is each team's actual finish. Just an overall glance at how things turned out relative to their expectations.

1. Kentucky (3)
2. Arkansas (10)
3. Tennessee (5)
4. Auburn (7)
5. Alabama (1)
6. Texas A&M (2)
7. Florida (8)
8. LSU (14)
9. Ole Miss (13)
10. Mississippi State (9)
11. Missouri (4)
12. Vanderbilt (6)
13. Georgia (11)
14. South Carolina (12)

Biggest miss in the overrated department = Arkansas*. Underrated = Mizzou.

*LOL

Sure bears the facts....
....media dont know shit
....pre season picks is garbage

I did think it would be a race between Arkansas and Kentucky, based on Kentucky bringing back Tshiebwe and an experienced roster. Then with Arkansas making back to back Elite 8s and adding Nick Smith Jr, they would be a serious contender. But before the season, we all knew if Alabama just had a team that bought in defensively with their length, we'd have one of the best squads in the country. Miller was going to get us, but Clowney has been the biggest surprise.

It's good to show last season would be a bit of an anomaly in the Oats tenure. Guys clearly only cared about their draft stock. This team has much better chemistry, length, and leadership.

Just need to start shooting better into the tournament.

Next year's team can make it to the Elite 8 also. There's rumors that JQ could return. So Bradley, Griffen, JQ, Burnett, and Sears make for a great back court. I'd assume Bediako will return (although test the NBA waters), along with Pringle. The recruiting class isn't as stout as last offseason, but still really solid. Might go after another 5 in the transfer portal.

Next year's team can make it to the Elite 8 also. There's rumors that JQ could return. So Bradley, Griffen, JQ, Burnett, and Sears make for a great back court. I'd assume Bediako will return (although test the NBA waters), along with Pringle. The recruiting class isn't as stout as last offseason, but still really solid. Might go after another 5 in the transfer portal.

Miller is going to leave a massive hole. I wonder if he can be replaced with how he has stepped up when everyone else fell off.

Miller is going to leave a massive hole. I wonder if he can be replaced with how he has stepped up when everyone else fell off.
No one will be able to replace Miller. Being above 60% in uncontested 3s is just ridiculous. We also see him making some pretty incredible blocks around the rim. That said, we've had multiple games where the opposition has zeroed in on him and his production hasn't really been there (Houston, North Carolina, @LSU, @Arkansas until late) and Alabama has found a way to win. To me knowing you can't replicate Miller's production, I think the more glaring issue is who will replace Clowney. Having a big who has a high basketball IQ, is tough underneath, plays really good defense, and can shoot 3s is going to be hard.

No one will be able to replace Miller. Being above 60% in uncontested 3s is just ridiculous. We also see him making some pretty incredible blocks around the rim. That said, we've had multiple games where the opposition has zeroed in on him and his production hasn't really been there (Houston, North Carolina, @LSU, @Arkansas until late) and Alabama has found a way to win. To me knowing you can't replicate Miller's production, I think the more glaring issue is who will replace Clowney. Having a big who has a high basketball IQ, is tough underneath, plays really good defense, and can shoot 3s is going to be hard.

You bring up a great point about Miller's rim defense. Even more the unbelievable reason I cannot believe he is not on any end of season player of the year award lists. He is an all-around player.

A mock draft I saw, whether credible or not I don't know, had Clowney as a Top 20 pick.

Back
Top Bottom