| FTBL When/what impact will Fanuzzi have at QB at Bama?

c5vetman

Everyone knows JPW is the starter, and then we sign Star Jackson, and we're hoping for McCarron to sign next year, so where does this leave Fanuzzi? How does he look in practice? I think he was hurt this past season, but surely someone on here knows something. Thanks!

c5vetman said:
Everyone knows JPW is the starter, and then we sign Star Jackson, and we're hoping for McCarron to sign next year, so where does this leave Fanuzzi? How does he look in practice? I think he was hurt this past season, but surely someone on here knows something. Thanks!

I'm only speculating and Porterhouse might be a better person to comment since he follows recruiting closely and sees the trends, but at this point I would think that Fanuzzi is the odd man out.

We've got JPW now. Star appears to be the guy they're planning on making the heir-apparent, but he'll have to win the job. They won't just give it to him. Then we're looking to recruit McCarron as well next year, maybe redshirt him. So you'd have to think that we're set at QB for a while, assuming the players perform to projections and no one gets injured. Fanuzzi could surprise people and end up getting the job when JPW leaves but neither Star nor McCarron are being recruited with the idea they'll run the scout team. Fanuzzi would have to really shine to get the job IMHO.

I don't doubt we'll be seeing him play for us though. If he's the backup he should get some p.t. Also remember that Saban has shown he isn't affraid to rotated quarterbacks in and out. We may see Fanuzzi in mop up or in certain meaningful situations. Just guessing though.

Wilson needs to increase his confident like the first year, if not next year we're gonna have some troubles, we do not have enough experience backing him. I hope Fanuzzi or McElroy step forward and pressure him hard on the QB spot, 'cause I'm losing my confidence on Wilson, especially in each of those horribles last games... :roll:

RTR,

I'm a fossil from the Bryant era, but I keep thinking that the Bear always had two quarterbacks ready to play, and he played both of them. His philosophy was that you are never more than one play from having your number two quarterback become your number one quarterback. I for one hope that Sabam shares that belief and that our talent level will be such that we can use two QB without fear.

porkchop said:
I'm only speculating and Porterhouse might be a better person to comment since he follows recruiting closely and sees the trends, but at this point I would think that Fanuzzi is the odd man out.

That's what I'm afraid of. I don't know much about his ability, but I'd like to think that he would at least get a shot.

It's a tough call but man you never know how one of the back ups will play till he gets out there.
He may jump out and get comfortable real quick like.
To me that's part of the excitement. Not knowing for sure. I have to believe that of the other guys on the roster ,someone has the confidence and ability to step up. It may be blind faith but I have to believe it.

Bama1966 said:
My personal opinion is that he can become the starter if JPW falters or gets hurt. I think he will challenge JPW for the top spot this year, with JPW edging him out. We have more than capable back ups IMHO.

what he said.

With Jackson's dual-threat ability, I believe that Saban is grooming him for "the job". It would not surprise me to see him if Wilson falters. I don't think McElroy or Fanuzzi will get the call simply because neither was called on last season when we obviously needed spark (the MSU game) under center. Jackson's our man. Count on it.
Bu the way, I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.

I'm pretty sure that this will not answer your questions, but NF is in the same place that our other QBs are in, save JPW who enjoys the status of having the job to be his to lose.

We are blessed to have talent across the board, so I suspect that the job will go to that individual who most/best surrenders himself to the process and becomes a "Nick Saban Quarterback" (whatever that is). CNS needs a leader that exemplifies how the system work. That was one of the issues this year in the the held-over leaders were not "company men", as will be documented soon and forever in concrete at the base of Denny Chimes.

Don't write off NF. He was quite the athletic QB in HZ and was CANS' choice over the previously committed Marve from Plant HS in Tampa. Also, as important as being with the program is, NF will have more time in it than Star. Who is to say what any of these kids can do if they set their minds to it. Just ask Gary Hollinsworth.

porkchop said:
c5vetman said:

We've got JPW now. Star appears to be the guy they're planning on making the heir-apparent, but he'll have to win the job. They won't just give it to him. Then we're looking to recruit McCarron as well next year, maybe redshirt him. So you'd have to think that we're set at QB for a while, assuming the players perform to projections and no one gets injured. Fanuzzi could surprise people and end up getting the job when JPW leaves but neither Star nor McCarron are being recruited with the idea they'll run the scout team. Fanuzzi would have to really shine to get the job IMHO.

I don't doubt we'll be seeing him play for us though. If he's the backup he should get some p.t. Also remember that Saban has shown he isn't affraid to rotated quarterbacks in and out. We may see Fanuzzi in mop up or in certain meaningful situations. Just guessing though.

Where in the hell did you get this idea? Saban would not take JPW out last year even when he sucked major balls.

Bones82 said:
porkchop said:
c5vetman said:

Where in the hell did you get this idea? Saban would not take JPW out last year even when he sucked major balls.

Because last year when JPW 'sucked' Coach Saban knew he was still better than the alternatives. Let's not forget too, that JPW has had to learn multiple offenses in a time where he should have only had to learn one. People are always pointing out that his sophmore year he was great but dont forget that it was his SECOND year in that system. Last year was his FIRST in the CMA system and his stats were actually not bad.

Bones82 said:
porkchop said:
c5vetman said:

First of all, you know how this forum is set up in regards to how you talk about players. That comment crosses the line.

Second of all, Porkchop is right on what he said. Mauck and Randall both shared snaps in the '03 season. He's proven he does use two QB's, but doesn't run a 2 QB systems ala Spurrier.

The battle for the QB spot is going to be who is #2. That's going to be between Nick and Greg. Thinking it may shake out differently at this point...just don't know where that is coming from...it's not coming from campus, that's for sure.

TerryP said:
The battle for the QB spot is going to be who is #2. That's going to be between Nick and Greg. Thinking it may shake out differently at this point...just don't know where that is coming from...it's not coming from campus, that's for sure.

Indeed, that's how its going to "shake out" and thats almost a guarantee. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom