| MBB/WBB When we decide which possessions we’re gonna play hard on, we’re a really average team.” — Nate Oats

Bama Basketball is frustrating
Yep - it's been frustrating as a longtime fan. I do get a different feel with Oats though. His coaching staff is recruiting light years better than staff we've had and he's shown the ability to adapt when adversity hits. I just remember how bad we looked last season before beating Tennessee on the road. Go back and look how bad defensively the team was vs Stanford, Clemson, WKU, and Furman. Oats' first season was littered with the same issues throughout the entire year.

I'm confident he'll get this turned around. Hopefully tomorrow night vs LSU.

I don't know. You would think a loss to Davidson or Mizzou would wake them up. Or maybe the second half of the UF game when they woke up and played with high energy and effort.

The chemistry on this team is off. Just goes to show you talent isn't everything.
I absolutely agree with your sentiments … but Davidson’s not a bad team. FWIW they’re something like 15-2 and getting points in both polls. And Bama always find a way to lose at Missouri for some reason. I think the wake up call should be that other than in the two big games they’ve played like crap … way too many turnovers, horrible shot selections and even worse shooting, weak rebounding efforts and poor defense in general … and a lack of passion. You nailed it talent that isn’t everything. If it was Kentucky or Duke would alternate winning it all every other year.

I absolutely agree with your sentiments … but Davidson’s not a bad team. FWIW they’re something like 15-2 and getting points in both polls. And Bama always find a way to lose at Missouri for some reason. I think the wake up call should be that other than in the two big games they’ve played like crap … way too many turnovers, horrible shot selections and even worse shooting, weak rebounding efforts and poor defense in general … and a lack of passion. You nailed it talent that isn’t everything. If it was Kentucky or Duke would alternate winning it all every other year.
Oh I completely agree that Davidson is a really good team. And I'll even give them the benefit of the doubt that it is probably hard to go from practicing for Colorado State to Davidson in a matter of a day or so, but that is also how you prepare for the NCAAT. No reason to drop that game if Alabama plays a full 40.

Basketball is a game of momentum swings. Eventually the pendulum will swing the other way and we'll start winning games. But what Oats has tried (and deservedly gets criticism for this slump) is to worry about the controllable things. Rebounding, defense, effort, taking charges, etc.. are all up to the players. Shooting slumps will go away. But doing what it takes to win is up to the entire team - staff included.

Oh I completely agree that Davidson is a really good team. And I'll even give them the benefit of the doubt that it is probably hard to go from practicing for Colorado State to Davidson in a matter of a day or so, but that is also how you prepare for the NCAAT. No reason to drop that game if Alabama plays a full 40.

Basketball is a game of momentum swings. Eventually the pendulum will swing the other way and we'll start winning games. But what Oats has tried (and deservedly gets criticism for this slump) is to worry about the controllable things. Rebounding, defense, effort, taking charges, etc.. are all up to the players. Shooting slumps will go away. But doing what it takes to win is up to the entire team - staff included.

I was gonna say, we can't hit a shot. Our guys from three can't hit and it causes them to drive the lane and turn the damn ball over. They need to work on shooting more than anything if you ask me. Of course our rebounding numbers will look bad when we keep missing at high rates, because they are geared to the defense. We have lost a ton of long rebounds this season.

Back
Top Bottom