| MBB/WBB When we decide which possessions we’re gonna play hard on, we’re a really average team.” — Nate Oats

While the recent struggles are no doubt concerning to Oats and his staff, there is still a long SEC schedule ahead of them filled with opportunities to overcome its shortcomings. Oats said that the first thing his team needs to focus on is developing leadership.

"We gotta get some leadership," Oats said. "We gotta get some guys that play with max effort 100-percent of the time, not a percentage of the time that they decide they’re gonna play hard. The Missouri game was case in point. They shot it really well against us, but in my opinion they shot it really well because we didn’t put enough pressure on them. We didn’t play hard enough. I mean, we saw the next night out Arkansas got their back against a wall, 0-3 in the league, they played really hard and they shouldn’t be 0-3 in the league and Missouri struggled and couldn’t score the ball against them. Well, if we had played that hard, they probably would have struggled like that against us, too. We gotta give better effort for 40 minutes, we gotta give better effort every possession in practice.

This team losses leadership, motivation, and etc. when the offense is not working. This offense is playing with at least 4 shooting guards and drive the lane, either shoot the ball or look for the 3 point outlet. If the 3's are not falling and there's no one rebounding you will get beat by the likes of Missouri, Davidson, and etc. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is not smart whether it be in sports, business or whatever.

Guys like JQ, Keon, Shack, and Gary are the ones who should be stepping up, but aren't. Gurley was actually the one getting chippy in practice before Mississippi State because guys still weren't playing tough.

Sorry but it is what it is. There's nothing Oats, Hogdson, Henry, or Pettway can do until the guys buy in. The chemistry is awful and the effort is severely lacking. Oats has clearly sent messages to the team through his press conferences, challenging their toughness and effort. Unfortunately, it isn't registering because we still see the same garbage play over and over again.

CNO can talk all he wants to about leadership, playing 100%, and etc. However, until he sits some of these starters that know they are going to play no matter what he will continue to get the same results. Yes, Davidson needs to play but he’s a turnover waiting to happen…that’s coaching. JQ and Shackleford driving the lane completely out of control throwing the ball away, committing a foul and etc. That’s coaching. Not to mention no defense whatsoever and rebounding. Sitting these guys is no guarantee he will get their attention but heck he’s losing games anyway.

As the coach figuring this out is squarely on Oats shoulders. That is his job. He has to find the right balance. I personally believe part of this is the jimmy's and joes he has in the paint. You add a Herb Jones back in the mix and this is a much different team. I was hoping the Gurley kid was going to figure it out but it is hard for a transfer to take on that role especially when players that are there have been in the program longer than he has.

CNO can talk all he wants to about leadership, playing 100%, and etc. However, until he sits some of these starters that know they are going to play no matter what he will continue to get the same results. Yes, Davidson needs to play but he’s a turnover waiting to happen…that’s coaching. JQ and Shackleford driving the lane completely out of control throwing the ball away, committing a foul and etc. That’s coaching. Not to mention no defense whatsoever and rebounding. Sitting these guys is no guarantee he will get their attention but heck he’s losing games anyway.
Nate might have to start Shacks father if things don't get better. I wonder if Nate had it to do over would he spend so much time in trying to please Shack and his father. JMO but having a winning season or a losing game will depend on the last game of the season.

Nate might have to start Shacks father if things don't get better. I wonder if Nate had it to do over would he spend so much time in trying to please Shack and his father. JMO but having a winning season or a losing game will depend on the last game of the season.
So your thinking we would be somewhere around a 4-10 record the rest of the way to put us around a 15-15 record? Am I interpreting your statement correctly? I sure hope that is not the case.

Yes sir. Then the SEC tournament.

Hard to win when your guards can't play a lick of defense and for some reason the 3pt shooting has gone South.
Probably naive on my part but I keep hoping they will figure some things out and start playing more like they did in December. No way a team with the talent at guard should be struggling this much. It is not like they are not in the games. Just need a key stop or hit a key shot at the right time to win more of these games.

I think Oats will figure it out. He has faced the team looking like this in his first two years, and they ended up turning it around. The first thing that needs to happen is for the guard rotation to be better. Lower Shack's minutes and increase Darius Miles'. Miles played only 20 minutes vs MSU, but had 14 points and six rebounds. Shack had 17 and five. With Miles on the court more, this gives us length and the ability to crash the glass with he and Keon. Secondly, find a way to get more paint touches before taking a three. Oats has said this is his philosophy, yet for the last month or so, we're just passing it around the arc and firing it up. That's not going to work. Lastly, take a risk and maybe not start JQ. Take the approach we had last season and have him come off the bench. Earn the PT back with more quality play. Give him starter minutes, but don't allow him to start.

I personally believe part of this is the jimmy's and joes he has in the paint. You add a Herb Jones back in the mix and this is a much different team. I was hoping the Gurley kid was going to figure it out but it is hard for a transfer to take on that role especially when players that are there have been in the program longer than he has.
Gurley has actually turned the corner since the Tennessee game. He got in a little bit of foul trouble vs State and it hurt. Overall, I think he's finding his role. He was reportedly chippy at practice leading up to State because guys still weren't playing well (which we saw).

What has really hurt us is that Nimari Burnett went out before the year. He was shooting well all offseason and would have likely been a starter. That would have given us two good on ball defenders with him and Keon.

Also, Bediako not playing at the level he did before Memphis. He and JD are both going to be special players, but both need more time to gel. It would serve them both well if they returned.

JD and Bediako will have to play significantly better to even consider going pro in my opinion. Now if they did I think the wins for the team would follow.

With regards to Gurley I think his play is likely the key. Need his D. Heck Rojas may be another key. I think he will get down and dirty. This team needs that big time.

What the heck why does it take losing 3 in a row and looking at a 4th to get a team to show urgency? Seems like there is more to it especially on the offensive end. Turnovers and shooting woes have taken a hit on the teams confidence.
I don't know. You would think a loss to Davidson or Mizzou would wake them up. Or maybe the second half of the UF game when they woke up and played with high energy and effort.

The chemistry on this team is off. Just goes to show you talent isn't everything.

Back
Top Bottom