| FTBL What's your opinion on how Brian Kelly will do at LSU?

Did well with Hurts...to
Why you think Hurts chose OK....

Playing time. He wanted to go to the NFL, and playing behind Tua wasn't going to help. Remember, he smoked a cigar when Bama beat UTurd. He's Bama; he just needed a place to play.

And I agree with the others; I don't think Riley did that great of a job with him. Playing in a crappy conference helped. Currently playing in a crappy division is helping him, also.

Playing time. He wanted to go to the NFL, and playing behind Tua wasn't going to help. Remember, he smoked a cigar when Bama beat UTurd. He's Bama; he just needed a place to play.

And I agree with the others; I don't think Riley did that great of a job with him. Playing in a crappy conference helped. Currently playing in a crappy division is helping him, also.
Playing in the Big12 where they don’t play defense helped. Jalen has talent, but he’s a thrower not a passer. At Alabama he was too quick to pull the ball down and run. He’s improved on this in Philly, but he still has a way to go.

Is it possible something still comes of the instititution looking the other way on these secual abuse charges? If so Kelly will not win but it would not have anything to do with his coaching. I think he is a pretty good coach but not great. He has some snake oil salesman in him aka politician.

@XXL TideFan

True....he was behind Tua.....and contributed a lot to nick/ bama
But...he was a different QB at OK....He got out of the "run right" and developed into a QB.....
and really have to give Riley some credit...and the big12 D didnt hurt playing against...but still....he looked different at OK then he did at bama...

And ....now he is a starting NFL QB ...regardless what some may think of division he plays in......

Hurts was more organic growth than Riley teaching him. He clearly got better over the years. Riley adopted a veteran winner, he didn't develop him.
He didn’t develop the CF Quarterback...but developed him into a NFL quarterback

Riley also has a couple Heismans QBs to his developed list...

I think Rileys resume is very strong....for developing the QB position

He didn’t develop the CF Quarterback...but developed him into a NFL quarterback

Riley also has a couple Heismans QBs to his developed list...

I think Rileys resume is very strong....for developing the QB position

I do not agree with you on Hurts. Riley did zero for him in my eyes. The defenses only got worse compared to what hurts was used to. Hurts maturation is what helped him.

As far as Kyler and Baker, they as well played in a wide open league defensively. Baker ain't worth a shit in my mind. I never understood the draw to him other than him eating up the attention with his dumb little dance moves and stupid quips. No substance there. I have never been enamored with Kyler Murray either. He is better than Baker for sure, but Riley did not teach him to be as fast as he is. He is dangerous due to his legs, and widely regarded as the best quarterback to ever come out of high school in Texas ever. He's a multi-sport athlete (football and baseball) that is just that, a great athlete. I can't see how Riley taught him any of that. They all transferred to Riley as well. He hasn't recruited and developed a quarterback yet. We saw where Rattler went. Caleb Williams is his next opportunity, but I feel he will be figured out and handled, muchlike Murray when he finally faced a solid team in Alabama in the Orange Bowl.

Last edited:
I do not agree with you on Hurts. Riley did zero for him in my eyes. The defenses only got worse compared to what hurts was used to. Hurts maturation is what helped him.

As far as Kyler and Baker, they as well played in a wide open league defensively. Baker ain't worth a shit in my mind. I never understood the draw to him other than him eating up the attention with his dumb little dance moves and stupid quips. No substance there. I have never been enamored with Kyler Murray either. He is better than Baker for sure, but Riley did not teach him to be as fast as he is. He is dangerous due to his legs, and widely regarded as the best quarterback to ever come out of high school in Texas ever. He's a multi-sport athlete (football and baseball) that is just that, a great athlete. I can't see how Riley taught him any of that. They all transferred to Riley as well. He hasn't recruited and developed a quarterback yet. We saw where Rattler went. Caleb Williams is his next opportunity, but I feel he will be figured out and handled, muchlike Murray when he finally faced a solid team in Alabama in the Orange Bowl.
Ok.....no disagreement on big 12 Ds.....
But a bunch of other QBs in big 12....and it wasnt just 1....for LR ....several...
And regardless of all that...he now has that reputation...as a QB development HC...reputation recruits...as it does for NS

And Murrey had quite a day vs bama....we were just to much to overcome...with the big lead...

I think he and USCw will really be a force outta the west...whether it be Big 10 or whatever....
And we have gotten 2 hugh recruit QBs from California.....LR may keep the next one there...?
I

Ok.....no disagreement on big 12 Ds.....
But a bunch of other QBs in big 12....and it wasnt just 1....for LR ....several...
And regardless of all that...he now has that reputation...as a QB development HC...reputation recruits...as it does for NS

And Murrey had quite a day vs bama....we were just to much to overcome...with the big lead...

I think he and USCw will really be a force outta the west...whether it be Big 10 or whatever....
And we have gotten 2 hugh recruit QBs from California.....LR may keep the next one there...?
I

We held him down long enough to the point where the game was in our hands, and then we took our foot off the gas, unlike LSU did to them the next year. His yardage was all late in the game, when it was already decided.

Riley has that reputation because the media is mostly enamored with a young hot shot that they can write about. hence why you see zero imagination on pre-season award lists, and why a guy can have one great game and they think he's an All-American. You can only write so many articles about Nick Saban before you gotta find a new topic. The Big 12 has produced so many eye popping statistic quarterbacks that none of Riley's make my list of ones that looked very special, maybe outside of Murray. I can't stand the guy, so maybe my feelings won't allow him to have success in my mind, but I still stand by the fact that he isn't doing anything that a lot of others are doing as well. There are a lot of coaches out there winning nine and ten games a year. Mack Brown doing it at North Carolina, Matt Campbell doing it at Iowa State, James Franklin at Penn State, PJ Fleck at Minnesota, Lane Kiffin starting to look the part at Ole Miss etc. He doesn't stand out to me at all, he's just had a very easy path to the Playoff, unlike those in the SEC and Big Ten.

We held him down long enough to the point where the game was in our hands, and then we took our foot off the gas, unlike LSU did to them the next year. His yardage was all late in the game, when it was already decided.

Riley has that reputation because the media is mostly enamored with a young hot shot that they can write about. hence why you see zero imagination on pre-season award lists, and why a guy can have one great game and they think he's an All-American. You can only write so many articles about Nick Saban before you gotta find a new topic. The Big 12 has produced so many eye popping statistic quarterbacks that none of Riley's make my list of ones that looked very special, maybe outside of Murray. I can't stand the guy, so maybe my feelings won't allow him to have success in my mind, but I still stand by the fact that he isn't doing anything that a lot of others are doing as well. There are a lot of coaches out there winning nine and ten games a year. Mack Brown doing it at North Carolina, Matt Campbell doing it at Iowa State, James Franklin at Penn State, PJ Fleck at Minnesota, Lane Kiffin starting to look the part at Ole Miss etc. He doesn't stand out to me at all, he's just had a very easy path to the Playoff, unlike those in the SEC and Big Ten.
Well...we know one thing...move to big 10....path will get tougher....
Then we will know...for sure....but has 2-3 years.....in pac 10/12 or whatever its called...to get things going...before big10

I still think eventually LR will be scooped by NFL....

Did well with Hurts...to
Anyone who watched Hurts during his last year at Alabama saw how much he improved under Dan Enos.

Anyone who watched Hurts during his only season at OU didn't see this "development" of which you speak.

Yes, we saw more yards per game. It's what you can expect when your attempts increase by over 550%. His completion rate dropped and while his yards per attempt remained about the same his TD to INT ratio was worse under Riley.
Its development once you get em
Which is the question at hand. We've seen four, sans Jalen here, and two of the four have done well. Where did they come from? It wasn't Riley's recruitment or development we've witnessed with Rattler and Williams.

It's funny how people can watch the same team, have the same opinions and critiques, but close with opposing views. As example:

OU has a good offense under Riley.
Look how open the receivers are under that offensive system.
Look what Riley does with his quarterbacks?

His is certainly a QB friendly offense which derives its power from its wide receivers and scheme ... which is why we see a lot of pitch and catch in OU games.

Anyone who watched Hurts during his last year at Alabama saw how much he improved under Dan Enos.

Anyone who watched Hurts during his only season at OU didn't see this "development" of which you speak.

Yes, we saw more yards per game. It's what you can expect when your attempts increase by over 550%. His completion rate dropped and while his yards per attempt remained about the same his TD to INT ratio was worse under Riley.

Which is the question at hand. We've seen four, sans Jalen here, and two of the four have done well. Where did they come from? It wasn't Riley's recruitment or development we've witnessed with Rattler and Williams.

It's funny how people can watch the same team, have the same opinions and critiques, but close with opposing views. As example:

OU has a good offense under Riley.
Look how open the receivers are under that offensive system.
Look what Riley does with his quarterbacks?

His is certainly a QB friendly offense which derives its power from its wide receivers and scheme ... which is why we see a lot of pitch and catch in OU games.
And 2 Heisman QBs.....i watched ok a couple of games....
Hurts was different... maybe year with Enos helped....
But...time at ok....big difference...and maybe was offense at ok and Ds of big ..12......
And
"He iscertainly a QB friendly offence which derives its power from its wide receivers and scheme"
Which is why he will recruit and achieve success....at USCw

Last edited:
Did well with Hurts...to

Recruiting ...ha!

Its development once you get em....recruiting is gonna take a back seat to transfer....especially more...if ncaa goes with unlimited transfer without sitting out a year...instead of a one time shot

Southern CA...( its a different world)
Reputation of QBs
USCw traditions
NIL possibilities
His reputation

A lot going for USCw
I read that Saban recommended he go to OU because he would be surrounded by more talent there.

I read that Saban recommended he go to OU because he would be surrounded by more talent there.
Not exactly. Saban recommended he go to OU for several reasons: the offense they run; the defenses they play against; the coach who would be responsible for his development; and the current QBs on the roster. Saban knew what Hurts was capable of and he knew the QBs he would compete with since he had recruited the better ones.

Hurts had a pretty solid WR corp all three of his seasons in T-Town. Better than he had at OU, I’d argue.

If I was burdened with lots of free time, I’d go watch his snaps the last 2 years for the good guys. He tucked and ran a bunch of times, many when running out of bounds horizontally for a 1 yard gain, no gain or even a loss. It got frustrating given the talent around him. I watched a few games at OU and didn’t notice him running straight for the sidelines but I know the defense they play is different. But that different?

Back
Top Bottom