| FTBL What's your impression of the new Fox Sports 1? Which shows have you watched, or plan to...reviews,

TerryP

Staff
Over on the thread about ESPN losing subscribers the conversation started mixing in the launch of the FS1.

I'm curious as to your impressions. And by that, if possible, without prejudgment mixed in. (See Eddie George comments in a few minutes.)

My thoughts:

I knew this was coming months ago but hadn't even bothered to follow how it was progressing, how it was laid out, what their model was...and other subjects like that until this weekend.

Don't get me wrong. I knew Erin Andrews was going to be leading their college sports program, I read a headline about Clay Travis joining the group, but other than those two things I paid little to no attention. (Clay is an example of "don't judge too quickly.")

It's launched. This morning has been the first time I've paid attention to the programming and did so by accident—and then only about a third of the hour long broadcast.

The show? FOX College Football Kickoff.

Here are a few quick thoughts.

"How it was laid out."
— I hadn't considered this point about the network until realizing it when I saw it.

How easy is it going to be for FS1 to cover the entire football landscape? They already do so and have been for years.

If you think about their channel lineups before the launch of FSN they have had "bureau's" in place for years. Do they have a story they need to cover in the SEC? Fox Sport South has it's team, studios, you name it.

It's an ingenious infrastructure already in place when you look at it from a distance.

Now, as to FOX College Football Kickoff.

Five main co-host on Saturday's with Erin Andrews having the "chair:" Mike Pereira, Joel Klatt, Clay Travis, Eddie George and Petros Papadakis.

Eddie George: OK, I've already been exposed to him so I tried to dismiss those preconceived notions before he started talking.

Then he talked.

I only caught two segments with George. The one that caught my attention was the group making picks on the season and George pointing to Washington as his team in the PAC. Yeah, I hear you thinking this. That would have caught your attention as well.

As Eddie began to explain his reasoning—two terms used loosely, explain and reasoning—Erin jumped into the conversation and asked Eddie, "Have you even looked at the first month of their schedule?" Eddie was as stumped as his neck appears.

Erin Andrews: Again, preconceived notions. However, I was pleasantly shocked at how well she was keeping up with Eddie's "explanation" and her interruption. NOW, was that producer driven content like her sideline reports were back at ESPN?

We'll see. Holding judgment out on her.

Petros Papadakis: Loud. Holding judgment.

Joel Klatt: FS1's version of "Herbie." Sound reasoning. Good comments. You could tell it was personal opinion, but he also made his points clear. He's one I look forward to hearing more from this season.

Mike Pereira: It's hard to say what his "role" is supposed to be. But, when he did speak, solid factual points. I'm more curious about his "schtick" than anything else because he doesn't look like a "football guy." I'm as unfamiliar with him now as I was yesterday.

Clay Travis: So far, so good. Cursory, but good SEC content. Reserving judgment here as well.

I don't like the layout and interactive features of the Fox web site...but here's the link to FS1 if you're interested.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsports1

Interesting write-up on what Fox gave up short term. I would love to be a fly on the wall in some of these discussions.

http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/...riers-in-order-to-launch-in-90-million-homes/

How Much Did Fox Sports 1 Concede To Carriers In Order To Launch In 90 Million Homes?
Posted on August 17, 2013 by Dave Warner

For months, Fox Sports 1 promised it would launch today in 90 million homes, and it appears to have done so. What it did to keep that promise, however, will likely cost Fox hundreds of millions of dollars.

As John Ourand of Sports Business Daily reported on Thursday, Fox was forced to back off its asking price of $0.80/month for its new sports channel after multiple carriers refused to pay. Cablevision, Cox, DirecTV, Dish Network, and Time Warner Cable — that’s just over 53 million homes total, if you’re counting at home — all had contracts in place for Speed Network, the channel Fox Sports 1 replaced, which called for a $0.23/month subscriber fee. Those carriers demanded that price for Fox Sports 1 until those Speed contracts expired, and in order to hit its 90 million-home target, Fox conceded.

The end result for Fox doesn’t stop at those 53 million homes, though. According to Ourand:

A major distributor not involved with the deadline pressure was Comcast, which signed a deal with Fox earlier this year that included FS1, but it is believed to contain “most favored nation” provisions that guarantee the distributor pays the lowest rate available.​

That’s another 21.8 million homes that won’t have to pay the subscriber fee Fox was seeking. All told, roughly 75 million homes will pay only $0.23/month for Fox Sports 1.

So how much will Fox Sports 1 actually get in subscriber fees?

Let’s presume that the other carriers were willing to pay Fox’s asking price. That’s 15 million homes paying $0.80/month and 75 million homes paying $0.23/month. Here’s what FS1 will receive in subscriber fees:

$0.80 * 12 * 15 million = $144 million

$0.23 * 12 * 75 million = $207 million

TOTAL: $351 million

That’s $513 million less than what FS1 was projected to get in subscriber fee revenue in its first year, had Fox gotten its 80-cent asking price. Starting next season, Fox will pay Major League Baseball $500 million a year for broadcast rights. Fox will have to eat that contract for a year or two until it can renegotiate deals with carriers as those Speed contracts expire.

So why did Fox concede? The answer is right there in its own press release:

Ford Motor Company, GEICO, and Yum! Brands, three of the country’s leading marketers, are among the many that have taken ground-floor positions with FOX Sports 1 and are the network’s leading brands in the automotive, insurance and quick service restaurants categories. Samsung Mobile leads the electronics category, while several movie companies have also made significant investments in FOX Sports 1 and other FOX Sports outlets.​

Simply put, Fox promised 90 million eyeballs to some very rich advertisers, and it had no choice but to deliver — even if it meant conceding more than half a billion in subscriber fees in its first year. Consider that ESPN could make as much as $3.5 billion in TV ad revenue in 2013. If Fox is able to bring in even one-third of that, that’s more than $1.16 billion, and that’s a bigger pot to risk than $864 million. Thus, it behooved Fox to establish the channel and make it as attractive as possible to advertisers first and foremost, even if it meant losing out on subscriber fees in the short term.

Make no mistake, though — Fox will come back for those subscriber fees soon enough. It might even escalate into a full-blown carrier dispute that makes that CBS-Time Warner Cable spat look small. For now, though, the carriers have won the day, and so have pay TV subscribers, who won’t have to pay extra for a shiny new competitor to ESPN. If the Fox Sports 1 proves popular enough, though, that niche-channel subscriber fee won’t stick around for long.

I'm watching it right now, the 1-on-1 with Tom Brady thing. Its okay i think the College Kickoff is going to replay in a cpl hours and im gonna DVR it. One annoying thing is my TiVo hasn't updated the listings so it still has all the SPEED channels lineup. That is aggravating.

lmao Gerry Dinardo is an analyst on FS1, pricceless. I cant stand Clay Travis, guy made a career out of trashing every school not named Tennessee and now hes playing the "SEC is great" role, gtfo. Other than that the college football show was good. They got UFC coming on tonight and UFC is obviously gonna be huge for FS1.

Petros wears me out in 15 seconds...

Erin...I never understood why she was lead sports analyst...let alone why anyone would stalk her

ESPN is safe on all accounts

"Petros wears me out in 15 seconds..."

Same here, the guy is a know BAMA hater. He talked all kinds of garbage about us last year, especially before the championship game. If he's talking I just mute the sound.

UFC is def. gonna be their biggest asset, people were blowing up twitter talkin bout the fights tonight and i gotta say the coverage is pretty damn good. They're doing football like pregame and post game shows, plus showing all the prelim fights as well as the main card. Now they're doing Golden Boy Live with Oscar de la Hoya's fighters on Mondays so they wont go head to head with Friday Night Fights on ESPN.

lmao Gerry Dinardo is an analyst on FS1, pricceless. I cant stand Clay Travis, guy made a career out of trashing every school not named Tennessee and now hes playing the "SEC is great" role, gtfo. Other than that the college football show was good. They got UFC coming on tonight and UFC is obviously gonna be huge for FS1.

Dinardo: No issues with him voicing his opinion. None at all. A decade of coaching in the SEC with a pretty good record at LSU tells me the guy understands football.

You know, now that I think about Gerry...he's a lot like Bill Curry. I'm not a big fan of Curry for a few reasons but I do stop and listen to what he has to say. Dinardo garners the same respect from me.

Travis: I've said this for years here about Travis, Paul, and others. You may not like what they're saying, but you have to respect their success.

Take Clay's little journey. Good degree, but he's not tearing up the "attorney for hire" world and he starts a blog. A blog.

Because of content, that traffic turns into radio spots and he eventually graduates to make it on Paul's show. From there, consistent interviews around the nation on the SEC.

Now...guys got a pretty cool job.
Fox Sports Live: (their version of ESPN's Sportscenter)

From a production standpoint they've done a good job.

Their use of the scroll—along with stats in the side bar—provides more information than ESPN.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear how well Andy Roddick talks baseball.

Please, share your thoughts on this reaction:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>My first Fox Sports 1 moment: Why should I care what Donovan McNabb, Andy Roddick &amp; Gary Payton have to say about the Dodgers?</p>&mdash; Jon Solomon (@jonsol) <a href="https://twitter.com/jonsol/statuses/368930334131224576">August 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/KySportsRadio">@KySportsRadio</a> They have expertise in specific sports. Let me hear that. Tell me something insightful, not what I can hear anywhere.</p>&mdash; Jon Solomon (@jonsol) <a href="https://twitter.com/jonsol/statuses/368936257407053825">August 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Have to agree on all points. Star power and no expertise. I repeat, no one, no one, can compete with the MLB Network for baseball coverage.

Think about this for a minute...

Over the years who on the ESPN GameDay staff would you call an expert? A person that you couldn't put in that "no expertise" column?

Those people. Where they "experts" when they joined ESPN?

^^ IDK that you would say Kirk was an "expert" when he got there, but I would consider him one now. Corso would probably be considered an expert by many, with his coaching experience especially.

I said "some people"! Not me, I think Corso is a goofball. Many would consider Lou Holtz an expert, I personally think hes a goofball too but I cant take away his "pedigree." I can't stand Dinardo tho, never thought he was a good coach. I wasnt alive for Corso's coaching career lol

:laughcry:
I said "some people"! Not me, I think Corso is a goofball. Many would consider Lou Holtz an expert, I personally think hes a goofball too but I cant take away his "pedigree." I can't stand Dinardo tho, never thought he was a good coach. I wasnt alive for Corso's coaching career lol

Since you're going to go to the point of using quotation marks for added emphasis, you said "many," not "'some people'!'" [sic]

Up until his stroke, if you waded through Corso's schtick you'd find some solid football observations. He's predominantly schtick and that's part of the reason people doubt what he says. Now, his picks? Two different subjects now.

In the same light, let's see how they use Dinardo. I think it may be more along an X and O role for team break-downs.

Even if you were alive when he was coaching...in that day and age, combined with his success, you wouldn't have heard his name anyway.

Back
Top Bottom