| FTBL What position battle / group are you looking forward to the most this spring?

TerryP

Staff
Is it the secondary?

Perhaps special teams?

As strange as this may seem, I'm more interested in a third string and fourth string battle. Yes, it's in the offensive backfield, but it's not the QB position.

I wonder what's going to happen with the depth we have in our backs. Geez, when you start thinking about it and the shear number of players...Ingram, Richardson, Grant, Goode, Fowler, Lacy, Marrow...

See what I mean?

My gut tells me we'll see at least two of those guys being looked at in another position.

The idea of a guy that's 240lbs, runs VERY well, and playing in a linebacker position makes me smile.

LB and DB is what im lookin forward to

I'm pretty sure on what the LB'ing corps is going to look like coming out of spring. So, that gives me a pretty good feel on how the front seven is going to look in the fall. Combine all of that and I don't have much concern with how the DB's will look.

Add the coaches all these guys are working with...???

From the what the hell corner...a recent blog entry from ESPN's Chris Low.

Alabama's defense looks to reload up front
March, 9, 2010
MAR 9
4:00
PM ET
Email Print Share
By Chris Low
It’s only natural that most eyes will be on the secondary when defending national champion Alabama opens spring practice on Friday.

The Crimson Tide lost seven defensive backs from last season’s team, including three starters, while another one, safety Robby Green, is in limbo for this coming season.

Green’s eligibility is in question, but Alabama is appealing and hopes the matter will be resolved.

Although there might not be as many holes to fill as the secondary, the defensive line will be another area that’s closely monitored this spring.

Starters Terrence Cody, Brandon Deaderick and Lorenzo Washington are all gone, but Alabama rotated its defensive linemen throughout the season a year ago.

Noseguard Josh Chapman and ends Marcell Dareus and Luther Davis have all played. Dareus is a budding star. He led the Crimson Tide in sacks last season and was the Defensive MVP of the BCS National Championship Game. He’s poised to become one of the most dominant defensive linemen in the SEC next season.

The Crimson Tide will also need Davis to take a big step, while sophomore Kerry Murphy has the kind of ability to be a breakout player at noseguard.

Alabama coach Nick Saban really liked Damion Square’s versatility last season. He was one of their more effective inside pass-rushers until he hurt his knee. He’ll be back next season, but could be limited this spring.

Junior college newcomer Brandon Lewis is on campus and will go through spring practice, and these next 15 practices will be especially important for redshirt freshmen Chris Bonds, William Ming, Brandon Moore and Darrington Sentimore.

The numbers are there. And while there might not be a space-eater like Cody on campus, if Murphy develops the way most think he will, the Crimson Tide will again be imposing up front defensively.

Honestly I'm looking forward to seeing what we got coming back battling for playing time at nose guard. I'm really excited to see what Kerry Murphy can do.

Honestly I'm looking forward to seeing what we got coming back battling for playing time at nose guard. I'm really excited to see what Kerry Murphy can do.

If Kerry can fill the role that Chapman did this season he'll meet the "expectations" I have for this fall. I'm interested in seeing what he looks like in passing downs.

I'm like you Terry. I wonder just what will happen in the backfield with the RB position. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fowler make a position move over to LB.

I'm like you Terry. I wonder just what will happen in the backfield with the RB position. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fowler make a position move over to LB.

Or possibly see Marrow get a look there as well? Both of those guys are "trucks." Proto-typical, run stopping 'backers.

Who fits the Upchurch role in '10? Does Grant take it outright? Goode challenge for the same position? I've wonder at times if Demetrius gets a look in the secondary.

Geez...where does Lacy fit in?

I can't argue with any of the points made. While much has been said regarding who will handle returns (kickoff and punt( I will go out on a limb and say I'm very interested to see if we can finally improve our kickoffs and punting. I'll will say that Fitzgerald improved alot this season, but with our kickoff and punting coverage suffering, well... forever, moving up from our #8 spot in the SEC on punting and actually putting every other one in the end zone sure wouldn't hurt. It will all be on the incoming Freshmen.

I could see Lacy in Upchurch's role and the idea of Morrow and Fowler at inside backer, backing up 2 studs is scary thinking. I will be down there for the clininc on the 26th and I plan on getting a look at our RBs and the QB position as well. I'll be doing alot of moving around and observing on that day.

It is good to have that "problem"

I would like to see Lacy get some touches this year. He has the skills to be very complimentary to MI and TR.

The front seven is where we will see a lot of new blood(along with DB's) and still leaves some questions. Dareus is beast and is not one of those questions. Felt sick for Square. He is talented as well and I think would have become a problem last year for offensive lines. Had one of , if not the best first steps on the team. Hope he is healed and ready to go for the season.

I can't argue with any of the points made. While much has been said regarding who will handle returns (kickoff and punt( I will go out on a limb and say I'm very interested to see if we can finally improve our kickoffs and punting. I'll will say that Fitzgerald improved alot this season, but with our kickoff and punting coverage suffering, well... forever, moving up from our #8 spot in the SEC on punting and actually putting every other one in the end zone sure wouldn't hurt. It will all be on the incoming Freshmen.

That brings another question to mind but one better off left for another thread.

I'll say this. I expect we'll see the same mistakes on kick coverage this fall as we've seen in the past. The main reason behind that is the youth—a lot of the time true freshman—that we have on our kick coverage team. Hopefully, HOPEFULLY, the leg strength that Cade Foster has will eliminate some of the things we saw last year.

OR, is this time to rethink Bobby Williams as a special team coach?

I can't think of the kids name...walk-on from Hargrave that's a punter...I wouldn't be shocked if he makes some waves this spring at that position.

I could see Lacy in Upchurch's role and the idea of Morrow and Fowler at inside backer, backing up 2 studs is scary thinking. I will be down there for the clininc on the 26th and I plan on getting a look at our RBs and the QB position as well. I'll be doing alot of moving around and observing on that day.

I'll look forward to hearing your impressions.

I'm seeing DH taking Ro's spot with Nico, then Upshaw and Harris. You?

That's been my thinking as far as the LBs go. Atchison, Jordan and others could surprise. You never know who will have the light turn on.

How do you see the two deep...more interested in who you see as back-ups?

I'm thinking Atchison takes an inside role but I wonder if it's behind Nico or Hightower. I wonder if Ming can see time at JACK to be honest. Chavis? Is Watkins someone we should look at with attrition?

Bottom line. It's going to be a fun spring camp.

They are all possibilities Terry. I'm going to try and bounce around throughout the practice and catch the RBs,ILBs, OLBs, and the QBs in some of the drills. I may spend most of the time looking at the QBs during any of the 7 on 7 drills. I'll try to take a few notes and send along some info.

They are all possibilities Terry. I'm going to try and bounce around throughout the practice and catch the RBs,ILBs, OLBs, and the QBs in some of the drills. I may spend most of the time looking at the QBs during any of the 7 on 7 drills. I'll try to take a few notes and send along some info.

One thing I don't have a lot of doubt about.

We'll exit the spring Greg, A.J., Star, Sims.

I just want to see the Sims kid in person. I've seen video but nothing is better than seeing it live.I look for Star to step up to the challenge but Sims is gonna be nipping at his heels.

Tana Patrick and Ed Stinson will be pushing for time. Upshaw better look over his shoulder and work hard or he may find himself not in a starting role.

Back
Top Bottom