| LIFE What do you think is the most influential invention from the past 100 years?

Then I would say Television (since '27) as it has been around for a long time and influenced many generations of people when before they were entertained and influenced by Radio (sjnce '01?). I also will say that the Internet runs a very close second. If Internet and Computers were invented earlier and as proliferated and common as TV for a longer period of time, then I could see PC's as most influential. A running poll of world opinion would likely say Internet and Computers, IMO.

Then I would say Television (since '27) as it has been around for a long time and influenced many generations of people when before they were entertained and influenced by Radio (sjnce '01?). I also will say that the Internet runs a very close second. If Internet and Computers were invented earlier and as proliferated and common as TV for a longer period of time, then I could see PC's as most influential. A running poll of world opinion would likely say Internet and Computers, IMO.
1927 is more than 100 years ago.

Proliferation. There's the big difference I see between the two. How quickly did the majority of those living in the states have a TV versus how quickly they had the Internet.

You're right. Internet and computer ownership did spread very quickly, in times of a much larger economy and more leisure money in most households and there was probably not as much skepticism or wariness among users as was back in the day. TV came along in depressed years where there was not much extra money for frivolous expenditures. And people were skeptical of the talking picture box.

Back
Top Bottom