| LIFE WFH - Why can't I just apply to the company?

sk33tr

el jefe
Why must a LARGE majority of these jobs be with staffing companies or companies who hire people to work for other companies through contracts? I swear about 80% of the jobs I get referred to or see on Indeed (or just about any other job board I go to) are nothing but companies like this. Why can't I just see the jobs from the actual companies and apply directly to them. I don't want to be hired by a company, then be told that I'll actually be contracted to another company and be subject to their schedule and rules.

I just left a WFH job in the middle of (6 weeks of) training because it was like that. The rules we had to abide by were very different than the ones I was told during the application/interview process.

*M-F? 8-5 (days and time I was told during application/interview process)?: NOPE.....your schedule changes weekly. Maybe mornings, maybe evenings, maybe over night
*Holidays off? (was given a list of 7 holidays we'd be off): NOPE.....this company works 24-7 and they're always there, even during holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas
*Bathroom?: NOPE.....if you go to the bathroom, then that time comes out of your break and/or lunch time. So that time is shortened by however much time you took to go to the bathroom. Not only that, but you have to have permission to go to the bathroom. WTF?! Yeah, I'm a grown-ass man. I don't ask permission to go to the bathroom; I just go. How would they know?, you ask. Well, the cameras we would have to use are always on and they're always watching.....always. So if you get up for any reason, you'd get dinged for it.
*Phone/other peripherals?: NOPE.....can't have your phone or any other peripherals in the room with you. Not out of your sight, but NOT IN THE ROOM! And that includes a printer. A printer? Really?

Sorry. Just had to rant a bit. But it's so damn frustrating trying to weed out the crappy from the not-so-crappy.

I've read about controls companies are placing on WFH employees, seems pretty excessive, but stories abound of folks having more than one job, juggling two laptops and schedules to make a double pandemic salary.

Many staffing companies are shysters, promising something to get you in and then changing everything. Some companies would rather pay a premium to a staffing company to have them weed out new hires, but the temp wages are cheap, so you get lower quality workers in the end who need greater scrutiny - a self-fulfilling cycle. Industry temps are rampant, look at how many Mercedes and Honda Alabama employees are actually employed by Mercedes/Honda vs. temp agency placements.

I've read about controls companies are placing on WFH employees, seems pretty excessive, but stories abound of folks having more than one job, juggling two laptops and schedules to make a double pandemic salary.

Many staffing companies are shysters, promising something to get you in and then changing everything. Some companies would rather pay a premium to a staffing company to have them weed out new hires, but the temp wages are cheap, so you get lower quality workers in the end who need greater scrutiny - a self-fulfilling cycle. Industry temps are rampant, look at how many Mercedes and Honda Alabama employees are actually employed by Mercedes/Honda vs. temp agency placements.
That's the definite truth.

During the interview process of the company I just left, they said:

*You'll need a computer w/keyboard, mouse, webcam, and headset w/microphone. (OK, I have all of those things; and they're good ones)
*You'll need high-speed internet (OK, I have that, too.....fiber, to be exact). They ran tests and I went WELL over their required minimums (which were quite low, imo).
*You may need dual monitors, depending on the situation; we can provide a second monitor, if needed (OK, I have an extra monitor I can use, so no worries, there)

After I get hired and into the 2nd week of training, I get a package from FedEx. Inside are a computer, (shitty) keyboard, (shitty) mouse, (shitty/uncomfortable) headset, "special" webcam, and a (shitty) monitor.

Wait.....I thought we had to have all this, already. I've got all this stuff. And it's WAY better than this box of sadness you guys sent me.

"Oh, for this particular job, you'll have to use our stuff."

The computer had all this VPN stuff on it. It also had 2 "desktops" on it; 1 normal and 1 virtual. We had to use both, with no less than 5 tabs open on each one. The headset they sent was so uncomfortable it hurt my ears and had bad sound. Their "special" webcam had detection software on it so they would get alerted if I got up from my desk during a non-break/non-lunch period, or if anyone else came into the room, or if I picked up my phone.

So I'm at my personal desk, which isn't that big to begin with, with another computer, another monitor, another keyboard, another mouse, another webcam, and another headset. All those extra wires made my desk look like a bowl of spaghetti. I know a lot of people aren't, but I'm quite OCD about my wires and my desk being neat and tidy. I run wires in walls if I can. I use wireless components if I can so I don't have extra wires on my desk if I can help it. But they wouldn't let me use my wireless stuff with their computer. It all HAD to be their stuff. Really? The headset matters? The keyboard matters? The mouse matters? I can understand the webcam thing due to the nature of the work (which I found out AFTER the initial week of training). But the rest of it? That's just asinine.

I am waiting for my company to start some of this crap. Currently they just sent me a laptop, monitor, KB/Mouse, headset, and dock. I have to use their laptop due to the sensitive nature of the work, but I can use whatever else with it I want. I use my own two monitors (secondary inputs on my personal monitors hooked up to the company supplied dock). I use their headset and keyboard only because a KVM adds too much delay when gaming on my personal PC. And I use my own webcam, and only hook it up when I have to use it on a meeting. I am not hourly so they only care that I get my work done in most cases.

Thing is in many cases is companies do not want to actually hire people, they want contractors from third parties. It absolves them of having to do most of HR and makes it easier to cut people lose if you want to do so. If one works out really well then the company may decide to try to hire them permanent later. And of course you get the whole issue of hiring folks from overseas instead of local citizens that companies can have plausible deniability about.

Almost 30 years ago I cold called for a job at Sterilite. Walked in and spoke to the receptionist that informed me they were not engaging anyone directly. I told her to tell HR that a mold maker was here and they would see me. She did, they did. Gave the HR lady my resume and she repeated the same line about maybe hiring on temp or through an agency. I said, “ No thank you ma’am but please show your plant manager these.” I pulled out 2 small parts made from 2 molds that I built. In 15 min I had an interview with the plant mgr and tool room supervisor. Both yankees, the super from Buffalo, NY. Started the next day. I was cocky but good in my youth.

Keep plugging away brother and never devalue yourself, it will get better.

Almost 30 years ago I cold called for a job at Sterilite. Walked in and spoke to the receptionist that informed me they were not engaging anyone directly. I told her to tell HR that a mold maker was here and they would see me. She did, they did. Gave the HR lady my resume and she repeated the same line about maybe hiring on temp or through an agency. I said, “ No thank you ma’am but please show your plant manager these.” I pulled out 2 small parts made from 2 molds that I built. In 15 min I had an interview with the plant mgr and tool room supervisor. Both yankees, the super from Buffalo, NY. Started the next day. I was cocky but good in my youth.

Keep plugging away brother and never devalue yourself, it will get better.
You know, I honestly wish it was that "easy" these days. And I don't even know of a place that does paper applications, anymore. The last few jobs I've had have all been done by filling out an application online. And that's after walking in and asking for an application.

Now, you search, apply, and interview, all online. And I'm OK with that. But to have to go through some 3rd-party company just to get to talk to someone at another company that you really want to work for is just crazy, to me.

And I get what you're saying, @XXL TideFan. Removing a lot of the liability and definitely removes a lot of the work they'd normally have to do in looking for people for a job. But I couldn't believe the number of places that are just staffing companies that will hire you to be contracted to another company to do THEIR work.

And the thing is, I'm not even looking for anything that's super difficult or specialized. I have a ton of CS experience with some data entry thrown in. I'm currently looking for a date entry position (I've had enough of CS and retail bullshit). But even that is turning out to be difficult. I had to unsubscribe from 3 email chains so far due to the BS that they send me. And one, Career Builder is a total sham/scam. Every link I clicked on, EVERY...SINGLE...ONE...in any email they sent me just sent me to a site that was about doing surveys for money. And the money is either a gift card to a specific place (that I can choose from a list), or cash (mostly likely a cash card or something) with no taxes taken out. I'm not wanting to fill out a bunch of 1099 BS at tax time and deal with that mess. It's bad enough I have to do one for my HSA and my 401k (which sucks since it's losing money at this point instead of making money). But adding more is something I definitely don't want to do.

I wish I had a good idea for a business so I could just work for myself. And I wouldn't even need to get rich from it. Just enough to keep my bills paid and then put some back in the bank for later.

You know, I honestly wish it was that "easy" these days. And I don't even know of a place that does paper applications, anymore. The last few jobs I've had have all been done by filling out an application online. And that's after walking in and asking for an application.

Now, you search, apply, and interview, all online. And I'm OK with that. But to have to go through some 3rd-party company just to get to talk to someone at another company that you really want to work for is just crazy, to me.

And I get what you're saying, @XXL TideFan. Removing a lot of the liability and definitely removes a lot of the work they'd normally have to do in looking for people for a job. But I couldn't believe the number of places that are just staffing companies that will hire you to be contracted to another company to do THEIR work.

And the thing is, I'm not even looking for anything that's super difficult or specialized. I have a ton of CS experience with some data entry thrown in. I'm currently looking for a date entry position (I've had enough of CS and retail bullshit). But even that is turning out to be difficult. I had to unsubscribe from 3 email chains so far due to the BS that they send me. And one, Career Builder is a total sham/scam. Every link I clicked on, EVERY...SINGLE...ONE...in any email they sent me just sent me to a site that was about doing surveys for money. And the money is either a gift card to a specific place (that I can choose from a list), or cash (mostly likely a cash card or something) with no taxes taken out. I'm not wanting to fill out a bunch of 1099 BS at tax time and deal with that mess. It's bad enough I have to do one for my HSA and my 401k (which sucks since it's losing money at this point instead of making money). But adding more is something I definitely don't want to do.

I wish I had a good idea for a business so I could just work for myself. And I wouldn't even need to get rich from it. Just enough to keep my bills paid and then put some back in the bank for later.
I understand. My last 20 years was using headhunters. Several “technical staffing” companies over the years tried to get me to sign on with them (Areotek pops to mind) but I was lucky enough to be in demand at a premium so I always politely declined.
My neighbor supports his family as a one man lawn care business.

I understand. My last 20 years was using headhunters. Several “technical staffing” companies over the years tried to get me to sign on with them (Areotek pops to mind) but I was lucky enough to be in demand at a premium so I always politely declined.
My neighbor supports his family as a one man lawn care business.
I had a landscaping job one summer when I was younger. It made me realize I like doing it to my own yard, but not other people's, lol.

Back
Top Bottom