| FTBL We're actually close

bamafan850 said:
quote]

252BAMA,

BTW, anyone who insinuates that was a below average D for the 'noles needs to show me what an above average D looks like.

Yea Florida State's D was able to hold UAB to 24 points. Very impressive.[/quote]

:roll:

bamafan850,

I am so sure that the FSU players were as ready for UAB as they were us. :roll: The level of talent they have is undeniable. If you don't believe me, listen to what Coach Saban says about them in his press conference that Porterhouse linked.

bamafan4ever said:
252BAMA said:
BigAl said:
Optimus said:
bamatommy said:
I think we're actually close to being pretty good. Even though our offense played so poorly most of the day, we still came back and made it a close game. We almost got the onside kick, but it hit Jimmy Johns in the head. :D

I'm encouraged that we can still hang in to the end. When we went down 21-7, it looked pretty bleak. We scored a touchdown to make it 14-7 and then the Seminoles scored on one play. Very disheartening. But we still made it go down to the wire. We're actually not too far away from breaking out, in my opinion. We came back against Georgia and put it into overtime, and we overcame a late surge by Arkansas to win.

Hang on, fellow Tiders. We're almost there.

I don't know what game you watched buddy. I can't see us being close. When the team doesn't show any life till the 4th qtr to start playing... Call me crazy, the good teams like to put points up through out the game...
Actually we've played 3 hard fought games back to back to back with very little depth. All things considering we're doing fairly good the coaching is there but the execution isnt there yet. You know the old saying that dont kill us only makes us stronger. Time is the only thing that will correct this situation.

The 3 hard fought games back to back was really showing yesterday. Actually I would include Vandy, and call it four. Debate all you want about open dates, but facts are facts. When Bama played Vandy, Arkansas was off. When Bama played Arkansas, UGA played WCU. When Bama played UGA, FSU was off. Don't try to tell me that doesn't mean anything, because I've been watching this stuff too long, and I ain't buying it.

252BAMA,

You made a very good point! There are a total of 5 teams that have off weeks before they play us this year. Tennessee, for once, will not be one of them but it should be noted that during their run of success against Alabama, they almost always had off weeks before they played UF and us.

This year, our off week comes before LSU and we have UL-Monroe before we play AU. Could bode well for a couple of big games down the road.

BTW, anyone who insinuates that was a below average D for the 'noles needs to show me what an above average D looks like.

I'm glad you mentioned Tennessee, because there is a 24 year period during that series which is the reason I feel so strongly about this subject of open/off dates. I am talking about 1971-1994. Bama was 19-4-1 against UT during this period. Beginning in 1982 Coach Bryant had off dates scheduled prior to the UT game from 1982 through 1985. Then when he and Paterno worked up the 10 year series, he used those dates for PSU. Of the 24 years with only 4 losses, guess which 4 years Bama lost to UT.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...t=1971&end=1994&team1=Alabama&team2=Tennessee

252BAMA said:
bamafan4ever said:
252BAMA said:
BigAl said:
Optimus said:
bamatommy said:
I think we're actually close to being pretty good. Even though our offense played so poorly most of the day, we still came back and made it a close game. We almost got the onside kick, but it hit Jimmy Johns in the head. :D

I'm encouraged that we can still hang in to the end. When we went down 21-7, it looked pretty bleak. We scored a touchdown to make it 14-7 and then the Seminoles scored on one play. Very disheartening. But we still made it go down to the wire. We're actually not too far away from breaking out, in my opinion. We came back against Georgia and put it into overtime, and we overcame a late surge by Arkansas to win.

Hang on, fellow Tiders. We're almost there.

I don't know what game you watched buddy. I can't see us being close. When the team doesn't show any life till the 4th qtr to start playing... Call me crazy, the good teams like to put points up through out the game...
Actually we've played 3 hard fought games back to back to back with very little depth. All things considering we're doing fairly good the coaching is there but the execution isnt there yet. You know the old saying that dont kill us only makes us stronger. Time is the only thing that will correct this situation.

The 3 hard fought games back to back was really showing yesterday. Actually I would include Vandy, and call it four. Debate all you want about open dates, but facts are facts. When Bama played Vandy, Arkansas was off. When Bama played Arkansas, UGA played WCU. When Bama played UGA, FSU was off. Don't try to tell me that doesn't mean anything, because I've been watching this stuff too long, and I ain't buying it.

252BAMA,

You made a very good point! There are a total of 5 teams that have off weeks before they play us this year. Tennessee, for once, will not be one of them but it should be noted that during their run of success against Alabama, they almost always had off weeks before they played UF and us.

This year, our off week comes before LSU and we have UL-Monroe before we play AU. Could bode well for a couple of big games down the road.

I'm glad you mentioned Tennessee, because there is a 24 year period during that series which is the reason I feel so strongly about this subject of open/off dates. I am talking about 1971-1994. Bama was 19-4-1 against UT during this period. Beginning in 1982 Coach Bryant had off dates scheduled prior to the UT game from 1982 through 1985. Then when he and Paterno worked up the 10 year series, he used those dates for PSU. Of the 24 years with only 4 losses, guess which 4 years Bama lost to UT.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...t=1971&end=1994&team1=Alabama&team2=Tennessee

That is amazing! :shock:

I used to overlook the open week and felt it could go either way. I have started to re-evaluate that after these cold, hard facts! :shock:

bamafan850 said:
quote]

252BAMA,

Yea Florida State's D was able to hold UAB to 24 points. Very impressive.[/quote]

Did UAB play Vandy, Arkansas, and UGA on the three weeks prior to FSU? Uh, no.
Did FSU have an off week prior to UAB? Uh, no.
Did FSU give a $hit how many points UAB scored? Uh, no.
Did FSU give a $hit how many points Bama scored? Uh, YES!

Tideboy said:
Meh....I dunno. I'm deeply, deeply concerned about our O. Something is terribly amiss there. We are a lot further away than I thought after the Arkansas game.

This is not a very good FSU team.

If you look at this game on paper, we shouldn't have in been in it. FSU has always been a good, talented team. What they have lacked in the last couple of years is the heart to "get it done."

Yesterday, they had that heart.

You don't put together recruiting classes as well as the FSU staff has for a long time and not be good. Now, getting that talent to perform on the field can be a different circumstance.

Yesterday, they did.

At the end of this season, I'm willing to bet the notions about "FSU not being a good team" are changed.

TerryP said:
Tideboy said:
Meh....I dunno. I'm deeply, deeply concerned about our O. Something is terribly amiss there. We are a lot further away than I thought after the Arkansas game.

This is not a very good FSU team.

If you look at this game on paper, we shouldn't have in been in it. FSU has always been a good, talented team. What they have lacked in the last couple of years is the heart to "get it done."

Yesterday, they had that heart.

You don't put together recruiting classes as well as the FSU staff has for a long time and not be good. Now, getting that talent to perform on the field can be a different circumstance.

Yesterday, they did.

At the end of this season, I'm willing to bet the notions about "FSU not being a good team" are changed.

IMHO, FSU looked horrable yesterday. We were going 3 and out and giving them great field position and they went into half time with 0 points. I personallt think should be very embarrased to only have a one touchdown win. I have thought about it and I wish there was a good excuse, but there is not. I really do not think FSU looked good at all and yes I believe Auburn would have absolutely slobbered FSU last night. Again I am only stating my 2 cents on the deal. However, I am confident that we will come out great by the end of the season. And remember it is a great season if we beat Tennessee and Auburn no matter what else happens.

252BAMA said:
bamafan850 said:
quote]

252BAMA,

Yea Florida State's D was able to hold UAB to 24 points. Very impressive.

Did FSU give a $hit how many points UAB scored? Uh, no.[/quote]

This would be the first time I have ever heard of a football team not caring how many points there opposing team scored :?

bamafan850 said:
252BAMA said:
bamafan850 said:
quote]

252BAMA,

This would be the first time I have ever heard of a football team not caring how many points there opposing team scored :?[/quote]

When you know you are going to score more that they are, why should you care? Like playing Louisville. You don't worry about how many they score. You worry about how many you score.

252BAMA said:
bamafan850 said:
252BAMA said:
bamafan850 said:
quote]

252BAMA,

This would be the first time I have ever heard of a football team not caring how many points there opposing team scored :?

When you know you are going to score more that they are, why should you care? Like playing Louisville. You don't worry about how many they score. You worry about how many you score.[/quote]

Any team in the world worries about how many points the opposing team scores or a Michigan/Appy State would happen all the time. (sorry but I have to) :roll:

I have to agree with the statement that FSU was not that great. We had a very weak offensive attack and I think most SEC teams would have also held us scoreless the first 45 plus minutes. We had like 5 total return yards on several punts and 3 kickoffs. Our D actually looked strong considering they started at midfield or better on onver half of their possessions in the first half and didn't score.
Our offensive selctions were questionable and JPW is making terrible decisions. There were times when receivers (not his primary) were downfield with no covering them and nothing but open field between then and the endzone and he would run or throw the ball away or hit the receiver 3 yards in front of him. I have never played QB or coached QB's but watch other teams and tell me we are getting quality play back there.

Back
Top Bottom