| CURRENT EVENTS Wall to Wall: Russia, Russia, Russia. This Ukraine mess, what's your feelings on the matter?

bama alum

Normally, I avoid politics on discussion boards because arguing with handles and avatar pics is as useless as or the equivalent of explaining politics to a toddler. This guy though...I didn't like Trump at all, but I think I'd rather have a mean tweet than a senile old puppet...If I'm a citizen of Ukraine, I'm thinking I need a new set of diapers right now.

What is your opinion about the US getting involved in this conflict? While I do understand that the USA has historically kept some countries from being bullied by larger countries; strategically speaking, Ukraine offers little and right now we have more than enough domestic problems. Most importantly, I just do not see Biden and his clan making wise decisions.

Watching it closely. Russia has had a build up on the Ukrainian border for quite sometime. It's funny to see people like this saying "Russia will not invade Ukraine" and "Russia won't start a war" when they've actually been fighting since 2014.

I watched this video from Vice News when it first came out. Thought it was pretty good journalism. Tells you a different story than one of someone who gets their news online and bases their opinion on mindless drivel.

The shit storm started with a “color revolution” that was used to remove a pro Russian government and ensure a pro US regime. Crimea was part of Russia proper since Catherine the Great purchased it from the Turks. Kruschev shuffled it under Ukraine administration in ‘54. It’s been Russia’s only warm water port for a long time. None of our business nor is Taiwan. We would get our asses handed to us or it will go nuclear ☢️

The Baltics are at risk as well, Estonia the most exposed. Interesting that Estonia has tried to ship weapons to Ukraine, but since it was German made they retained veto power over the move, and disallowed it.

I'm already tired but can anyone blame me? I'm seeing to many who claimed to be experts on Afghanistan now claim the same with Ukraine. Fool me once comes to mind.

A lot of America doesn't seem to want the US involved.

US will not get involved militarily. Sanctions will be it.

Remember how Russia took The Crimea from Ukraine in 2014? Same thing happening here again. Russia says the people of these areas want to be part of Russia again so they are just helping them escape from the Ukrainian government that will not allow them to make their own decisions. But a lot of this is because Russia (or at least former KGB officer Putin) believes the Ukraine is Russian territory and is obviously slowly trying to annex it all. It remains to be seen if Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Moldova, and Belarus will suddenly really, really want to be part of Russia again or not.

TLDR : Putin trying to get a lot of the Iron Curtain Gang back together by hook or crook. No other countries are going to enter the fighting.

I read an interesting theory on another forum I frequent. (hunting)

Said that all of this is a stage show in order to make Dementia Joe look good with mid-terms coming up. The Biden family and Crack Head Hunter have long been incahoots with Ukraine. Putin knows he has a puppet in the oval office and can do whatever he wants when he wants. The theory is that all of this is a stage show so that down the road Putin can flex when he really wants to and Biden looks good in the short term.

IDK what Russia wants with Ukraine anyway. Not like there is a ton of natural resources or something rare in the region that they want or need.

IDK what Russia wants with Ukraine anyway.
I'm asking a related question to the whole story: what does the US want out of this? I've heard "we can't let a bully..." and I don't find that convincing.

I know I could spend more time learning about this and I'd have to start with finding the answer to "what's the impact on us?"
Said that all of this is a stage show in order to make Dementia Joe look good with mid-terms coming up.
This I don't understand. Assuming reports are true and it's going to lead to even higher gas prices how does that make him look any better?

I saw a headline yesterday referencing a poll where only around 25% were in favor of intervention. I didn't read the poll but my gut tells me those who are against this are focused on other matters they feel are more important.

I'm asking a related question to the whole story: what does the US want out of this? I've heard "we can't let a bully..." and I don't find that convincing.
Warmongers gonna warmonger. Don't forget that Joe not only supported the war in Iraq, but actually championed it and helped gets other Dems behind it.

But, on a more non-political point, those who truly push it for anti-bully reasons see this as a prelude to either continued annexation by Russia of all of the area that was part of the USSR or actual World War. The latter is doubtful if we do not get involved militarily in the former.

@rocknthefreeworld who was it that said (paraphrased) "No matter the political reasons voiced for war it's always economic?" I want to say it's from a book about WW1. That thought has crossed my mind considering economic conditions and forecasts. From what I've seen the neo-cons of the '60's have taken an about face. That's disconcerting, but not surprising.

@TerryP I can't find the economics on this one. Putin has repeatedly said Ukraine is not a state and that the Russians and Ukrainians are one people. But there is more. NATO has expanded its military presence and Russia does no like it. One of their big calls has been for NATO to withdraw back to where it was 25 years ago (for example, get out of Bulgaria and Romania) and no expansion into Sweden and Finland. These are areas the USSR/Russia has historically considered buffer zones between them and the West. Bosnia and Serbia are heating up over secessionists. Moldova, particularly the Russian supporting region of Transnistria, is starting to crack also. I believe that Russia (particularly Putin himself) is sensing its power declining and is now pushing back to maintain their former glory.

Back
Top Bottom