| FTBL Walk of Champions video

G

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68U-9GyCPQI
[/youtube]
I really don't want to get off on a soapbox, but I saw this floating around the internet today. I can't stand that the players don't even seem to acknowledge the fans. While we're griping about fan bases and noise of Bryant-Denny just thought I'd throw that in.

The players seem to feed off the crowd and will even look you straight in the eye during the middle of the game when wanting support. Contrast that to when they're walking into the stadium it's like they don't even want to be bothered. Just bugs me! Maybe I don't "get" their zone and mental focus. I certainly don't want a big party going on before game-time.

Last year the only ones that even smiled at me and my daughter were Earl Alexander, Cory Reamer, Greg McElroy and a few others even I didn't recognize. They don't need to pat me on the back, have a conversation with me or thank me for coming...just a smile or an occasional moment of eye contact from a few would do. I don't need a whole meal, just some crumbs thrown every now and then. :lol:

Aren't you glad I didn't get off on my soapbox? :wink:

The way I see it, the walk is for them, not for us. I know personally I would feel pretty nervous and focused on the task at hand right before a game and probably wouldn't be worried about whether I should smile and wave at the crowd or not. I get where you're coming from though.

They need to just take it in and get focused. Equate it to a fighter walking to the ring. They might slaps some hands but for the most part they are focused on what they are about to do.

Just the the other day we (staff) were having a bit of a discussion about their focus on the Walk of Champions. One thing that was pointed out was a beautiful brunette that was right on the rail, but not a single player happened to look her way. Believe you me, that wasn't something easily done.

I'm reminded that Mark Richt doesn't participate in their walk now because he said it was a distraction from the task at hand.

Personally, I don't mind the focus and that they don't pay a lot of attention to those gathered. I'd much rather them be focused on the task at hand.

BamaCore said:
The way I see it, the walk is for them, not for us. I know personally I would feel pretty nervous and focused on the task at hand right before a game and probably wouldn't be worried about whether I should smile and wave at the crowd or not. I get where you're coming from though.

For them? Well they don't seem to care anything about it. If it's "for them" wonder why we even do it. The last time I went most of the guys have I-pods and such and some are turned up loud enough for me to hear it. So, they're not listening to us and they're not looking at us or paying any attention to us. I don't mean to pick on you Core, but it must not be "for them". Some of them look like they'd rather be anywhere but there.

TerryP said:
Just the the other day we (staff) were having a bit of a discussion about their focus on the Walk of Champions. One thing that was pointed out was a beautiful brunette that was right on the rail, but not a single player happened to look her way. Believe you me, that wasn't something easily done.

I'm reminded that Mark Richt doesn't participate in their walk now because he said it was a distraction from the task at hand.

Personally, I don't mind the focus and that they don't pay a lot of attention to those gathered. I'd much rather them be focused on the task at hand.

There are a couple of issues with this line of thought, to me.

First, if this a distraction then why did the Athletic Department conceive it, design it, and spend big buck to create this walk and arrival event?

Second, if eye contact, a smile, mouthing "thank you", or a wave are so threatening that the team can not recover from it in the HOURS before kickoff, how does one suppose some players listening to I-Pods is not at least as threatening? (Of course CNS may have recorded coaching points on the I-Pods and the headphones simply indicate those that need some extra help. :D )

Third, the fact that we are discussing the negative impression this is leaving on the fans there means that it is not helping the program and thus will be changed for the better. In the true Saban way, if it is bad...it dies. Do we foresee any change with this?

Fourth, if a player can't overcome waving to a fan on the way into the stadium, how can he be expected to overcome making a bad play during the game?

I believe the Walk is intended to be a weekly affirmation of the One Team, One Fight approach. It is one of many things that set the tone, like a coach's pep talk, or coming out the tunnel, or that first. That is what WE give to THEM. At the same time acknowledgement or OUR support to THEM, like the COACH commenting about the FAN noise, or the SIDELINE PLAYERS joining the FANs cheering when it is really rocking, is what they give to us. It is best when it goes both ways.

For these reasons I was disappointed in the video. WE are missing the mark on this one. It doesn't have to be Mean Joe Green swapping Cokes for Jerseys, but the cold shoulder is way wrong.

BamaDelta said:
BamaCore said:

For them? Well they don't seem to care anything about it. If it's "for them" wonder why we even do it. The last time I went most of the guys have I-pods and such and some are turned up loud enough for me to hear it. So, they're not listening to us and they're not looking at us or paying any attention to us. I don't mean to pick on you Core, but it must not be "for them". Some of them look like they'd rather be anywhere but there.

Oh no, it's all good. You actually make very good points about it.

:D :D

I am so glad you brought this discussion up.

I married and Barner. Yeah I know what some of you think. I dont care about that. However, I have had to sacrifice a few times and go to the cow town for a game. She grew up going to tigerwalk. Of course she just had to have me go and I will say this, The Walk of Champions doesnt hold a candle to it. Over there they have a certain energy about it. Kids slap hands with players, they acknowledge their fans, the band is there, its just totally different. I honestly think that they are doing it they way it should be done. Now with that said, knowing Im gonna take some heat for it; I dont think it would kill any of the players or coaches to pay us our dues. If it were not for fans, there would be no football plain and simple. Many colleges have similiar walks. I have been to a few, LSU and Ole Miss are notable. Maybe its all new to us. I would like to think Im doing my part as a fan to boost the energy level. Thats my banner and music playing out there. People come up and say thanks and thats cool. Im like the guy who started this though, I wish the team and coaches gave us "something" back. Im very critical of the small things and hope I didnt piss anyone off.

Back
Top Bottom