| FTBL Va Tech opener that much closer to reality for '09...

TerryP

Staff
Coach Moore said yesterday that an opponent had been lined up to replace our role against Tulane in the '09 season therefore giving up an open date to face the Hokies to kick off the 2009 series.

If you recall, Va Tech announced last month they were able to push back their date against Cincy so they had the date open.

By no means is it final as of yet. But, it's closer to being a reality today than it was this time last week.

If all of this falls into place it would be a game, nationally televised out of the Georgia Dome, August 29th.

We need to begin playing more games like this early in the season and get away from as many of the "ULM" games as we can. We have nothing to gain and everything to lose in games against "ULM's". We've been burnt enough over the last decade by playing teams like this.

It's time to stop putting ourselves in that position. If we want to be in the big time again we better start playing the big times.

Not sure where to ask this and didn't want to start a new thread. Did I hear correctly that the Alabama vs. Tulane game this season which is our 2nd game will be televised on ESPN.

NTT said:
Not sure where to ask this and didn't want to start a new thread. Did I hear correctly that the Alabama vs. Tulane game this season which is our 2nd game will be televised on ESPN.

Maybe ESPN2, but I'm leaning towards PPV. I don't think there is any solid word out except Clemson and Georgia.

NTT said:

That hasn't been decided yet, but in theory, since ESPN is supposedly the man behind the curtain that is getting this deal with BAMA vs VT finalized, and appeasing Tulane in the process, it makes you wonder if that was one of their concessions to Tulane in the deal. I doubt it, but makes for a good theory! :)

Porter said:
NTT said:

That hasn't been decided yet, but in theory, since ESPN is supposedly the man behind the curtain that is getting this deal with BAMA vs VT finalized, and appeasing Tulane in the process, it makes you wonder if that was one of their concessions to Tulane in the deal. I doubt it, but makes for a good theory! :)

I hadn't thought about that. Kudos on the theory.

TerryP said:
Porter said:
NTT said:

I'm drunk.

Porter said:
TerryP said:
Porter said:
NTT said:

I'm drunk.

Ah, so that's the reason for the clarity of thought. Perhaps, you should start earlier in the day! :lol:

Bama vs Tulane on ESPN may not be so far out, and Porter seems to be dead on about a deal with ESPN

Alabama won't be playing Tulane in the Superdome next year.

Instead, the Green Wave likely will be getting a home game against Brigham Young plus four future guaranteed ESPN appearances as part of a deal with the network to allow the Crimson Tide open its 2009 season against Virginia Tech in Atlanta.

MASH HERE for the rest of the article

Porter I heard someone on D and B the other day give that same theory and said that in reality that is more than likely what is happening. ESPN apparently thinks that we will be pretty good next season and wants Bama/VT badly. They are the ones doing all the nuts and bolts behind this to make it happen.

rammerjammer said:
Porter I heard someone on D and B the other day give that same theory and said that in reality that is more than likely what is happening. ESPN apparently thinks that we will be pretty good next season and wants Bama/VT badly. They are the ones doing all the nuts and bolts behind this to make it happen.

Well, I think Cecil Hurt has said recently that ESPN is the one getting the deal done, so I feel confident that part is true. The other part was just a guess, but it makes sense.

Am I the only one that gets a little queasy when I think about ESPN acting in or favor? Kind of like using Willie Nelson's tax guy to do your return.

bamaupsman said:
Am I the only one that gets a little queasy when I think about ESPN acting in or favor? Kind of like using Willie Nelson's tax guy to do your return.

ESPN is acting in ESPN's favor, we just happen to benefit as well.

bamaupsman said:

I don't find it bothersome at all. It's a win situation all the way around. In our case, a win on the recruiting front for the exposure, a win for the fan base in getting to see a game that otherwise would have been a season opener on PPV and so fans missing it because of that, a win for team in terms of SOS.

And yes, it's a win for ABC/ESPN to have a great match-up to kick-off the '09 season.

Recall, ESPN played a large role in helping getting our series with Hawai'i done a few years ago.

NTT said:

According to the recent announcement on rolltide.com , our first two home games (Tulane and Western Kentucky) will be pay per view night games. Good for tailgating, bad for watching at home.

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081508aaj.html

I'm a little hesitant to be very excited about the Virginia Tech game. We will be breaking in a new quarterback that game. It'd be nice if he could start a game or two before having to play a top 10 team.

Back
Top Bottom