| NEWS UCLA's fundraising brought in $16.4 million in 2019

planomateo

Some interesting details here about UCLA.

Years ago I wasn't a big fan of John Wilner, but I've warmed up to him. He's been documenting the challenges of the Pac-12 for a while now.

UCLA fans are under duress these days.

The football team has averaged one-win-per-month for two seasons under coach Chip Kelly.

The basketball program, the school’s pride and joy for decades, hasn’t won a conference championship (regular season) in seven years or a postseason game in three.

The athletic department’s budget is messier than the 405 at four minutes after five.

The school is ensnared in Operation Varsity Blues, a three-pronged scandal that infected athletics, academics and admissions, which is to say, everything.

The state-of-affairs, arguably the gloomiest in UCLA history, raises the stakes and lowers the margin-for-error in the school’s search search for an athletic director to replace Dan Guerrero, who’s retiring this spring after nearly two decades on the job.

As we evaluate the framework of the AD search and the multi-front challenges facing the Bruins, a question emerges:

To what degree, if any, do chancellor Gene Block and campus officials care about athletics?

Because the evidence suggests that Block’s interest in athletics is, at best, non-existent.

At worst, we’re left to wonder if Block thinks the Pyramid of Success is, you know, an actual pyramid.

From there, the next-level questions are easy:

— If the administration doesn’t care, how likely is it that UCLA will make the right choice for Guerrero’s replacement?

— How quickly will the Bruins emerge from the multi-year, many-layered slump?

— How likely are they to reach their considerable potential in the major sports?

Let’s examine the evidence, using UCLA’s closest relative for perspective.

Because when Cal’s commitment to athletics in general and football specifically seemingly trumps your own … well, ponder that on your next stroll down Bruin Walk.

Here we go …

One reason for UCLA’s current budget shortfall, which is expected to hit $36 million over two years — is the lack of wiggle room:

Just two percent of athletic department revenue comes from campus support, in the form of about $2.5 million annually in student fees.

That’s the second-lowest support level in the conference.

Only Oregon receives less help from campus than the Bruins, and the Ducks have much greater donor support.

Oregon listed $34 million in contributions (i.e. fundraising) on their NCAA financial report for the 2019 fiscal year.

The Bruins listed $16.4 million.

So the only athletic department (among public schools) that receives less in campus support than UCLA — on both a percentage and raw dollars basis — generates twice as much in annual donations.

Only one other school is close to the Oregon/UCLA level of campus support: Washington, which checked in with $31 million in contributions in FY19.

Minimal institutional support means limited margin for error with operational expenses.

Make a few coaching changes … encounter an unexpected drop in football ticket revenue … increase resources for various sports … and suddenly a shortfall erupts.

Cal has slightly different challenges but experienced the same general result.

UCLA reported an $18.9 million deficit in FY19. The Bears reported a shortfall of $24 million.

In Westwood, the administration responded by offering a loan to athletics to cover the debt — at interest.

In Berkeley, central campus agreed to cover the tab, the entire tab, interest free.

Debate the merits of the decisions all you want — we’re not suggesting one institution’s approach is right and the other wrong.

We’re simply offering the facts:

Sister schools, similar shortfalls, one covers the bill and the other doesn’t.

That disparity, in fact, is what started the Hotline down the research wormhole that led to our decision to call into question Block’s commitment to athletics.

Did we mention that Cal chancellor Carol Christ attended “at least” eight football games last season, per a university spokesperson (six home games, plus Stanford and the Redbox Bowl).

How many UCLA football games did Block attend in 2019?

Glad you asked.

We posed the same question to UCLA’s communications department earlier this week and are awaiting an answer.

(If it’s more than two or three, the joke’s on us.)

Ask Justin Wilcox about Christ’s support for his program — we have — and you’ll get a glowing response.

Ask Chip Kelly about Block, and our guess is that Kelly will 1) mention their shared interest in sleep research and 2) not have much else to say.

But campus financial support and chancellor-level passion are just two pieces of evidence that led to our conclusion.

The structure of UCLA’s AD search is the other.

It’s a momentous hire for the Bruins and for the Pac-12, because the collective benefits when UCLA — situated in the conference’s most fertile recruiting ground and in the nation’s No. 2 media market — is thriving in the revenue sports.

The Bruins desperately need an AD who understands major college athletics generally and football and basketball specifically.

Apparently, Block doesn’t think it takes one to know one, because his choices for the search firm and the search committee are painfully lacking in athletic administrative experience and football acumen.

UCLA hired WittKieffer to run the search; it’s a Chicago-based firm that specializes in every type of executive search known to humankind … except college athletic searches.

(Need a university librarian? Call WittKieffer.)

In the description of UCLA’s open position on the WittKieffer website, we found the following:

“All applications and nominations are invited. The position will remain open until filled. Applications should include, as separate documents, a letter of interest addressing the themes in this profile and a CV or resume. References will not be contacted without candidate’s consent. These materials should be sent electronically via email to Jeff Compher, Zach Smith, Ph.D., Kim Brettschneider and Horace Mitchell, Ph.D.”

Who are these folks?

Compher is a former athletic director who oversees WittKieffer’s intercollegiate athletics searches.

(The firm has 127 consultants listed; best we can tell, Compher is the only one dedicated to college athletics.)

But Compher is based in Chicago — he’s not the point person for UCLA’s search, according to sources.

The point person, as we understand the situation, is Mitchell, the former Cal State Bakersfield president who has no background in college sports. (He’s also a former Vice Chancellor/Business at Cal and VC/Student Affairs at UC Irvine.)

The other executives listed in the UCLA profile are Brettschneide, who’s based in New York, and Smith, who’s in Southern California.

According to her profile, Brettschneide’s expertise includes “healthcare policy, education policy, fundraising and management, resulting from her prior years as Executive Director of the Children’s Defense Fund-California, Development Director of the Wonder of Reading in Los Angeles, and Interim Education Director of the Conservation Corps in Long Beach, California.”

According to his profile, Smith has “supported and led presidential searches for AAU, research, regional comprehensive, polytechnic and liberal arts institutions. He has also supported executive leadership searches for a broad range of public and private universities and healthcare organizations, in areas ranging from advancement to finance.”

So the collective experience in college athletics administration from that trio is a big zippo.

Compher is a former AD, but his level of day-to-day involvement in the search is believed to be limited as Mitchell runs the show.

We asked UCLA for details on the search operations and were told, politely, that a November letter from Block to constituents would be the school’s only comment on the search:

“It was decided at that time that UCLA would let the process run proper its course without further comment on the matter until the announcement of the new AD in May.”

In that same letter, Block listed the members of the search commitment, who will take the guidance and information provided by WittKieffer and make a recommendation to Block.

That search committee is — you guessed it — a bit short on experience in intercollegiate athletics and wholly lacking in football expertise.

There are eight members, and only one works for Guerrero’s department: Christina Rivera, who serves as Senior Associate Athletic Director/Senior Woman Administrator.

Her role, according to UCLA: “Dr. Rivera directly supervises several sports, administrative areas and leads department initiatives, especially in the areas of Title IX and gender equity, women in sport, governance and legislation, and performance evaluation and program assessment.”

Rivera understands college athletics, but 1) she is the only search committee member (out of eight) who does and 2) she’s not exactly walking with Kelly and Mick Cronin to practice on a daily basis.

The chair of the search committee is Monroe Gorden, the VC/Student Affairs.

In an interview posted on the UCLA alumni page, Gorden referenced his time on the UCLA football team, which was truncated by injury.

We checked: There is no Monroe Gorden listed as a UCLA football letter-winner, suggesting an extremely limited role.

Gorden has no intercollegiate administrative experience and, according to his bio, is “a licensed attorney in California with experience in business and health care law, he served as manager of legal contracting at United Healthcare and assistant general counsel at Tenet Healthcare prior to joining UCLA in 2006.”

Now, some UCLA fans might recall that Cal employed WittKieffer to assist on its search for an athletic director in the spring of 2018. And Jim Knowlton has, at this early stage, proven to be a solid hire.

But— you probably figured a ‘but’ was coming — there is a crucial difference in the makeup of the search committees.

While Chip Kelly might not be able to recognize anyone on the UCLA committee, Justin Wilcox assuredly could have identified at least one member of the Cal version.

Because Wilcox was on the committee.

(So, by the way, was Lindsay Gottlieb, the Bears’ former ace basketball coach now on the Cleveland Cavaliers’ staff.)

Does the severe tilt away from athletics in the makeup of UCLA’s search committee and search firm portend a bad hire?

Not necessarily, but it undercuts the likelihood of a good hire — just like the lack of campus financial support undermines the Bruins’ ability to navigate inevitable budgetary storms.

And all of it … every shred of it … suggests a deeply-rooted indifference to athletics at the top of the org chart.

There was a time, back when the Bruins were winning Rose Bowls and NCAA basketball titles, that UCLA’s chancellor was deeply passionate about athletics — not only on campus but across the conference.

In fact, one could argue that Chuck Young ran the conference during his multi-decade tenure in Westwood.

We’re not suggesting a return to that model. But the Bruins, and the Pac-12, would benefit from an administration that was committed to athletics.

The current edition, according to the evidence, clearly is not.

I follow Wilner on twitter, it's interesting. Thought I'd share.

I do have an interest in college athletics, for how long, yet to be determined.

I hear that. To be honest I am seeing a lot of similarities in Hollywood and the NCAA/Athletic Departments. Sexual harassment, covering up of legal issues, buying off people, big money running the show, and then athletes being abused in multiple ways by the powerful people behind a title. Almost makes you wanna give up on it all.

There's a lot of people in Higher Ed that just don't care that much about athletics... I think there is an argument to be made that if you don't see a clear path to legitimate success, investing in athletics isn't a great business model anyway.

On the other hand you see what CNS has done for Alabama and it's hard to argue that IF you can push the right buttons and win games in football & mens basketball (because let's be real, the other sports don't make $), you can boost enrollement, interest, funding, etc.

In my subjective opinion, the further you go out west, the less competitive football & mens bball is down to a young age. I personally think it has to due with the weather & outdoor activities... Potentially just the way a lot of these people prioritize their free time... But the past the midwest and Texas, I just don't see the same level of desperation in these sports.

For instance - The last school outside of Kansas in 2008 (I believe?) West of the Mississippi to win a hoops National Championship was.... Arizona in 1997! 23 years, 2 teams. Crazy

There's a lot of people in Higher Ed that just don't care that much about athletics... I think there is an argument to be made that if you don't see a clear path to legitimate success, investing in athletics isn't a great business model anyway.

On the other hand you see what CNS has done for Alabama and it's hard to argue that IF you can push the right buttons and win games in football & mens basketball (because let's be real, the other sports don't make $), you can boost enrollement, interest, funding, etc.

In my subjective opinion, the further you go out west, the less competitive football & mens bball is down to a young age. I personally think it has to due with the weather & outdoor activities... Potentially just the way a lot of these people prioritize their free time... But the past the midwest and Texas, I just don't see the same level of desperation in these sports.

For instance - The last school outside of Kansas in 2008 (I believe?) West of the Mississippi to win a hoops National Championship was.... Arizona in 1997! 23 years, 2 teams. Crazy

You are correct in your statement about the sacrificing given for football and basketball out West. It's just not in their DNA out there. We have some renters currently from California and she answered a question I had about the cultures in California. She told me the reason it is so different from the South is because there are so many cultures and everyone is raised with a little bit of this culture and a little bit of that culture in their upbringing that no one has a true understanding of what to believe or one background to fall back on. In the South we are a majority culture that is raised relatively the same, athletics, manners, and helping out your neighbor. I'm hoping you can understand loosely what I mean by that. That being said, we are raised on football, basketball, and baseball. That is our culture. Not like that out West, with those sports, golf, water polo, surfing, and so many other varieties. She explained to me that so many people out there don't know who they are because they spend their life seeing so many cultures that they don't have their own, therefor no background. It made 100% sense to me. Not sure if anyone else believes it, but that came from a native Californian herself when I questioned her on it.

You are correct in your statement about the sacrificing given for football and basketball out West. It's just not in their DNA out there. We have some renters currently from California and she answered a question I had about the cultures in California. She told me the reason it is so different from the South is because there are so many cultures and everyone is raised with a little bit of this culture and a little bit of that culture in their upbringing that no one has a true understanding of what to believe or one background to fall back on. In the South we are a majority culture that is raised relatively the same, athletics, manners, and helping out your neighbor. I'm hoping you can understand loosely what I mean by that. That being said, we are raised on football, basketball, and baseball. That is our culture. Not like that out West, with those sports, golf, water polo, surfing, and so many other varieties. She explained to me that so many people out there don't know who they are because they spend their life seeing so many cultures that they don't have their own, therefor no background. It made 100% sense to me. Not sure if anyone else believes it, but that came from a native Californian herself when I questioned her on it.

Definitely a lot of truth to that!

My opinion having lived in Southern California for ~10 years. Lots of transplants due to military, jobs, and the idea of living in California. They have many foreigners from India, Mexico, Philippines, China, etc where perhaps some of these sports just aren't important.

Their enrollments are similar to the SEC and I would guess they have as many legit fans as the SEC. Just don't think that they have to sit in front of a TV, perhaps they can't because Larry Scott cannot setup the deals he should be with providers, or there are just other things to do out there.

Living in an area where there is so much to do in the outdoors...do you want to be tied up in the house or do you want to be outside? Same kinda thing in California as well.

I can't remember if it was this year or last year.... But someone posted a graphic about the athletic departments that make the most $. It was very clear that the schools with the powerhouse football programs made the $. The shocking thing was how few departments actually made ANY $. There were maybe a dozen or so that weren't in the red after a season (IIRC correctly).

So if you're a middling athletic dept who prides itself in high academics, does it really pay off to invest a bunch of dough in athletics? I genuinely don't know. I know that if you're successful it does... But if not, it's just another bad investment. I couldn't blame a school who does the research and truly believes that it's not beneficial for the overall bottom line to invest more in athletics.... We are all die hard sports fans, obviously, but not everyone is. So taking that risk or blatantly deciding to lose $ just to have a better "athletic experience" on campus may not make sense to a whole lot of people!

There are a lot of kids in the west who don't grow up playing football or any other major sport. The influx of cultures that don't have the physical size (Asian-both oriental and Indian, Hispanic) keeps the talent pool, and interest level low. They may play soccer, tennis, golf or swimming, but these are not revenue producing sports. Growing up they are drilled by their parents to focus on academics and culture (music). I'm not hating on these groups, just pointing out what's contributing to the decline. It would be interesting to see what percent of the football, baseball and basketball rosters come from the states in the conference and compare that to the SEC, Big 12, ACC and BIG10.

There are a lot of kids in the west who don't grow up playing football or any other major sport. The influx of cultures that don't have the physical size (Asian-both oriental and Indian, Hispanic) keeps the talent pool, and interest level low. They may play soccer, tennis, golf or swimming, but these are not revenue producing sports. Growing up they are drilled by their parents to focus on academics and culture (music). I'm not hating on these groups, just pointing out what's contributing to the decline. It would be interesting to see what percent of the football, baseball and basketball rosters come from the states in the conference and compare that to the SEC, Big 12, ACC and BIG10.

While I agree with the general sentiment... As far as hoops is concerned, the Northeast produces gobs of talented dudes. I think those big cities have a decent amount of cluture especially in the NYC & surrounding areas. There is some football talent there as well (Obviously not like the southeast per capita).

That is where I believe weather comes into play. I firmly believe the cold weather makes tough people. Can't recall and Russian or Siberian weenies... lol

While I agree with the general sentiment... As far as hoops is concerned, the Northeast produces gobs of talented dudes. I think those big cities have a decent amount of cluture especially in the NYC & surrounding areas. There is some football talent there as well (Obviously not like the southeast per capita).

That is where I believe weather comes into play. I firmly believe the cold weather makes tough people. Can't recall and Russian or Siberian weenies... lol

It would be interesting to see how basketball rosters are skewed by region. Are 10% of recruits/players coming from 10% of the country (an average distribution) or are 10% of recruits/players coming from 5% of the country (2x the average distribution). Anybody want to dissect every baseball, basketball and football roster to see where they come from?

It would be interesting to see how basketball rosters are skewed by region. Are 10% of recruits/players coming from 10% of the country (an average distribution) or are 10% of recruits/players coming from 5% of the country (2x the average distribution). Anybody want to dissect every baseball, basketball and football roster to see where they come from?

It's probably more of a player by square mile vs number of players. California in the 2nd link has 384, where North Carolina has 234 and Georgia with 225. North Carolina is 1/3 the size of California in terms of square miles and 1/4 of the population, similar for Georgia. Texas is 70% larger than California with 25% less population, but produced 408 players on D1 teams.

From 2nd link, 61% of the D1 basketball players come from 12 states.

1582364978602.png

It's probably more of a player by square mile vs number of players. California in the 2nd link has 384, where North Carolina has 234 and Georgia with 225. North Carolina is 1/3 the size of California in terms of square miles and 1/4 of the population, similar for Georgia. Texas is 70% larger than California with 25% less population, but produced 408 players on D1 teams.

From 2nd link, 61% of the D1 basketball players come from 12 states.

View attachment 13518

This is part of the equation, but where are they going to? Are California kids staying in California?

Back
Top Bottom