| FTBL UCF hires Gus Malzahn

I don't know, @TerryP. "Substituting process" is quite vague. Likely the reason it wasn't called on the field (And/or why it's hard to recall the rule ever being invoked).

And my 2nd point remains - 12 players aren't allowed under ANY circumstances. No fine print needed
Called correctly, offsetting.

The mention of a running back passing as a counterpoint has what to do with substitute process? These examples as counters don't.

The officials either didn't know or missed the infraction.

Saban didn't, as well as others.

no infraction noted by officials....no penalty assessed...

youknow...the axiom....if a tree falls in the forest...etc...
Doesnt make tree a bad piece of vegetation..( i know...real stretch there...lol)

A blatant disregard for an established rule in college football: cheating is one word for that, gotta another?

"I might get away with it...". Yeah, that's who I want as a coach. Good person?

Ok....
I buy that...but D lineman dont....have such...are GENERALLY more agile than O lineman...and are used in backfield in FB...positions..
No issues here...

And if a D lineman (with a traditional lineman number 50-79) comes onto the field as a blocking back, they have to check in with the referee. I think even lineman with numbers 90-99 have to check in too if they'll be in the backfield.

Called correctly, offsetting.

The mention of a running back passing as a counterpoint has what to do with substitute process? These examples as counters don't.

The officials either didn't know or missed the infraction.

Saban didn't, as well as others.

Can we do this? Please explain how/why the rule was broken from your perspective. As I'm a bit confused (nothing new)

Because from my understanding, you're basically accusing Auburn of cheating through the substitution process... Which is highlighted by putting a punter in and lining him up at WR. From my POV - First of all, they never ran a play. So who's to say the punter wouldn't have motioned into the backfield to punt the ball? Now you're trying to retroactively officiate intent.

And to further explain my previous point of an RB throwing a pass - It's just the idea of because someone plays a certain position, it's a penalty to mislead through the substitution process.... That happens consistently when you see QB's get split out to WR and non QB's take snaps, with another skill player subbing in to take the snap...Or punters throwing passes, holders running with the ball, etc. Which again, points to the idea of how vague the wording of "substitution process" is, and why we never see this penalty enforced.

Last edited:
Can we do this? Please explain how/why the rule was broken from your perspective. As I'm a bit confused (nothing new)

Because from my understanding, you're basically accusing Auburn of cheating through the substitution process... Which is highlighted by putting a punter in and lining him up at WR. From my POV - First of all, they never ran a play. So who's to say the punter wouldn't have motioned into the backfield to punt the ball? Now you're trying to retroactively officiate intent.

And to further explain my previous point of an RB throwing a pass - It's just the idea of because someone plays a certain position, it's a penalty to mislead through the substitution process.... That happens constantly when you see QB's get split out to WR and non QB's take snaps. Or punters throw passes, etc. Which again, points to the idea of how vague the wording of "substitution process" is, and why we never see this penalty enforced.

The play in question had the punter go onto the field and into the huddle (there may have been additional players go onto the field/come off the field to give the impression of a full punt team going in). Alabama coaches in the press box saw it and alerted the field coaches who called for the punt return team to go onto the field - including Waddle. Auburn broke the huddle and the punter lined up as a WR. Nix (the QB, never left the field). When the Alabama coaches saw this, they tried to pull Waddle off the field. This caused a penalty of five yards for illegal substitution which gave Auburn a first down.

This wasn't against the rules, but it was a sneaky way to get a first down. Was Alabama to blame for not realizing what Auburn was doing or was Auburn to blame for stretching the rules?

And if a D lineman (with a traditional lineman number 50-79) comes onto the field as a blocking back, they have to check in with the referee. I think even lineman with numbers 90-99 have to check in too if they'll be in the backfield.
Does ref run over n tell opponent coach? Might...but never have seen...
And might have to....but do they....
When nick sends in jumbo package.... never seen anyone run to official...
And official run to other sideline...by then it would be to late... already have "cheated."....

The play in question had the punter go onto the field and into the huddle (there may have been additional players go onto the field/come off the field to give the impression of a full punt team going in). Alabama coaches in the press box saw it and alerted the field coaches who called for the punt return team to go onto the field - including Waddle. Auburn broke the huddle and the punter lined up as a WR. Nix (the QB, never left the field). When the Alabama coaches saw this, they tried to pull Waddle off the field. This caused a penalty of five yards for illegal substitution which gave Auburn a first down.

This wasn't against the rules, but it was a sneaky way to get a first down. Was Alabama to blame for not realizing what Auburn was doing or was Auburn to blame for stretching the rules?
Exactly.... because also the QB ( nix) has been used as punter before....and had shifted from "under center" to punt formation..several times....so....
Maybe just sent the regular punter in to be a receiver...

probably...probably...won AU game vs major rival...

You laugh? Don't be throwing unsportsmanlike around.

I'm a golfer first and foremost. It matters.

it s funny...all started on innocent personal comment "he isnt a bad guy"...in reference to Gus..
...and so many getting shorts in a wad... and calling him a cheater...and unsportsmanlike.... for a single play... that was neither cheating nor unsportsmanlike
....in my eyes anyway...nor several others...

Does ref run over n tell opponent coach? Might...but never have seen...
And might have to....but do they....
When nick sends in jumbo package.... never seen anyone run to official...
And official run to other sideline...by then it would be to late... already have "cheated."....

Most of the time it's done on the way onto the field. They just need to get the refs attention, they know to look for it. It's no longer running up to the ref and explaining it to him.

Back
Top Bottom