| FTBL UA nears decision on adding to stadium

RussB said:
Are u kidding? Students should be allowed to have the opportunity to attend every home game they wish too. At this point freshman aren't afforded that opportunity. That must be rectified before increasing general seating.
I do not see the logic in spending a minimum of $50MM to add seats to the stadium just to add seats for students who show up in record numbers for games against Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida and there are blocks of empty seats for games against the likes of Duke, UL-Monroe, etc.

Maybe I will have to explain the difference between student and non-student tickets afterall?

TerryP said:
I wouldn't mind seeing the students being put on a point system like Tide Pride members are. If they support more than one program, they get higher priority in terms of tickets.

Freshman not having access to tickets means nothing to me. The upper classman should have access to those seats long before frosh.
That first idea is truly a great idea.

Honestly, send that suggestion to someone in the athletic department with responsibility over student ticket allocation.

So you don't think students should be allowed to go to games, but rather people who never attended the university should, I can't argue with that logic. I mean, silly me to forget that collegiate sports have nothing to do with students.

RussB said:
So you don't think students should be allowed to go to games, but rather people who never attended the university should, I can't argue with that logic. I mean, silly me to forget that collegiate sports have nothing to do with students.
Before you completely jump off the deep end, perhaps you can re-read my initial post in this thread and see where I commented that the size of the student section be determined by how many actually show up for all the games - not just the 'primetime contests.'

Did you miss it where I said that if the student section is full for all games that it should then be enlarged? Can you reconcile that clear statement of finding a way to EXPAND the size of the student section with your assertion that I said "students should (not) be allowed to go to games?"

I admit I am an old guy who does not know the language as well as you younger brains, and I would appreciate you helping me understand where I went wrong?

But good job. You attributed an argument to me I did not make and then demonstrated what an illogical fool I am for holding that opinion. I am so ashamed and embarrassed for my error.

I guess they have removed logic and reason from the SATs or ACTs if this is an example of yours. Good grief.

There are in fact 'UA Fans" who have tickets to UA games and go and cheer their precious little hearts out. There are students at UA who want to buy tickets to resell at a profit and others who go to the games to see and be seen and cannot tell you squat about the contest. If you personally engage in a campaign to deny tickets to the former group, then perhaps all the students who have true passion to attend the games will not be denied tickets.

RussB said:

Then you have a lot to learn about economics while here in T-town. Money is what makes the world go round.......and if you think the U of A gives a flying fart in a whirlwind about you (if you do not give them money) then think again.

Logan Young gave more money than you or I could earn in a lifetime, but he never darkened the doors of the campus as a student. (alumni) There are others out there that love the U of A more than you or any other grad could, but they were not alumnus for whatever reason. Thing is money talks and BS walks. If Alabama can sell more seats and pad their bank accounts.........then guess what will happen. The students will suffer. Especially when you have boos and chants of Bull$h!t coming from that section when a bad call is made........I'm just saying. I do think that you as a student should be afforded the opportunity to go tall the games you want to, but fact is folks with the money have the final say so. Life sucks and sometimes that is just the way it is.

I think football should be done like basketball.....

The tickets are your student ID (cant be sold)....the first (total amount allowed in) through the gates get in.

I can't wait ........

to see Bryant Denny at 100,000+. I agree with the earlier post in that there needs to be a point system among students. It is disheartening to come back for a game against a lesser foe and see several thousand empty seats in the student section. I'm pretty sure that funding wouldn't be a problem, considering the big fund raiser topped $100 million within 6 months. I'd much rather see people in the stands instead of luxury boxes. The main reason being I don't have that kind of money or the connections to get in one of those boxes. RTR

Lenny Kozlowski said:

The tickets are your student ID (cant be sold)....the first (total amount allowed in) through the gates get in.

That thought is sound, but I can't get past the feeling that if a guy has spent the last 3-4 years at UA he deserves more "right" to seating at football games than a student in his first semester.

If they want to have more students seats then they should QUIT RESERVING HALF THE STUDENT SECTION FOR FRATS! It really pisses me off to see them all crammed into half the student section and the frats standing there holding their stupid signs.

alagator said:
RussB said:
Are u kidding? Students should be allowed to have the opportunity to attend every home game they wish too. At this point freshman aren't afforded that opportunity. That must be rectified before increasing general seating.
I do not see the logic in spending a minimum of $50MM to add seats to the stadium just to add seats for students who show up in record numbers for games against Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida and there are blocks of empty seats for games against the likes of Duke, UL-Monroe, etc.

Maybe I will have to explain the difference between student and non-student tickets afterall?

With the significant increase in the student population, I think we could find a middle ground. If they have 12,000 seats now at $5 a seat, increase the student seating to 14,000 and double student tickets $10 a seat. Yes, you lose 2,000 potential Tide Pride contributions, but your marginal income on the 2,000 in new student seating is $40 a seat.

If you triple it to $15 a seat (still reasonable), those 2,000 seats would yield $75 a seat, which approaches a minimum yield on seats.

The students may grumble, but we're all paying more per seat for our facilities and coaches. They can as well.

RTR,

Tim

I bet they increase the size of the student section because the administration does do things for the student body not just to make money (rec-center, rec-fields, etc.)

Also, no one here approves of booing less than me, the guy next to me who did ended up 2 rows down and made a quick exit thereafter.

RussB said:
I bet they increase the size of the student section because the administration does do things for the student body not just to make money (rec-center, rec-fields, etc.)

Also, no one here approves of booing less than me, the guy next to me who did ended up 2 rows down and made a quick exit thereafter.

Ironically, those things were paid for by the Athletic Department through donations coming from some of those people you mentioned early that didn't graduate or attend UA.

The windfall we had in the Athletic Dept. in the early 90's is what got the Rec Center off the ground.

TerryP said:
Lenny Kozlowski said:

That thought is sound, but I can't get past the feeling that if a guy has spent the last 3-4 years at UA he deserves more "right" to seating at football games than a student in his first semester.

Upperclass gets priority on road game tickets...

let the students that want in (at home) get it...no saving seats for frats as mentioned also

Lenny Kozlowski said:
TerryP said:
Lenny Kozlowski said:

let the students that want in (at home) get it...no saving seats for frats as mentioned also

Interesting thought.

I'd include some of the bigger games in that package as well though...let it be a first come, first serve for the smaller OOC games and a few of the SEC teams IE: the UK game this year, etc.

No offenses to anyone but last Sat and many before we have people leaving before the 3rd quarter that are season ticket holders and we need more seats for them. The last time I seen the student section leave that early was at the Houston game last year. As for selling tickets look at e-bay even tide pride members sell them for a profit so either way someone does not desersve them.

When I was a student eons ago, they had enough tickets left over to have a second "student guest" ticket sale. What I found odd about that was that they did not have a equal amount of tickets for every game. How could this be? The only way to buy student tickets is to get a whole season, so shouldn't there be a equal number of student guest tickets for sale for each game?

Lenny Kozlowski said:
TerryP said:
Lenny Kozlowski said:

The seats are only being saved for those who have tickets. You don't automatically get tickets if you're in the fraternity. All the seat saving does is make sure seats are saved for those in the fraternity who have tickets, so they get to sit together in the assigned block seating.

RussB said:

More senior fans, who were fans long before you were booing in diapers, should be rewarded. The millions that they have donated underscore this. That stadium, and the millions it raises every year for the University was not intended, conceived, or built so that someone else could discount a ticket for someone who is just now starting to pay their dues.

You wanted to point out people who have not attended the University buying tickets. I'll counter my point out that there are enough graduates out there to sell out the stadium. Why should the graduates be denied, so that a discounted ticket can be held for a newbie to the Alabama family who may or may not cross the street to attend the game?

Back
Top Bottom