| FTBL UA Coordinator/coaching changes— SPLIT into offensive and defensive threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you know there’s a chance he may need to be fired, why hire him? I don’t think he could be fired for cause since he didn’t do something at Alabama to be a reason. Then you’d just owe him his contract value (which isn’t going to be cheap).
He may not accept the job if we ask for this, but you could put a term in his contract for that exact problem. This is all stupid by the way, what he did at Tennessee is legal now.

Was wondering whod we put at that DC position if Saban wasnt able to hire Pruitt. I know Strong, and Grantham are being talked about. But what about Armstrong? He did a good job in turning around Southern Miss defense, and is a bright defensive mind. However Strong and Grantham have the experience over him of being a DC at top programs. Wanted to see what people thought about this possibility. This would only be for year by the way, bring Pruitt in as an analyst until the NCAA stuff blows over and then put him in as the DC the next season.

Yeah, it is. He gave them money for shit like rent, and car payments. They do that legally now with NIL.
No, sir, and you've spelled out why it isn't legal. It never has been.

An employee of the University can not give money to players or recruits. That rule covers family, boosters, and the like.

Was wondering whod we put at that DC position if Saban wasnt able to hire Pruitt. I know Strong, and Grantham are being talked about. But what about Armstrong? He did a good job in turning around Southern Miss defense, and is a bright defensive mind. However Strong and Grantham have the experience over him of being a DC at top programs. Wanted to see what people thought about this possibility. This would only be for year by the way, bring Pruitt in as an analyst until the NCAA stuff blows over and then put him in as the DC the next season.

Go back and look through all the previous staff names, and circle anyone in good standing where the DC job would be an upgrade from their current position. Then of the circled names, highlight the ones that have crossover experience working with Saban and Pruitt for likely extra attention.

I do think Armstrong could handle the job... there'd certainly be some growing pains, but overall IMO, he could handle it (he's certainly much further ahead in that area than Tosh was when he got it). I don't think Saban is going to put him in that position (literally or figuratively) so soon though.

The NCAA needs to let the Pruitt-Tennessee thing alone…UT never prospered under Pruitt...UT lost millions of dollars in fan profits due to lower tickets and merch sales…Pruitt was fired and lost most of his income…Pruitt was radioactive in college ball for two years (and still is)…Fat Phil is permanently radioactive in the NCAA…A lot of his recruits left in the portal… Some that stayed at UT played a major role in their miracle season, this year (Pruitt’s recruits Hooker Hyatt, ect)….It got UT the coach they wanted…It should be over already…but Bama wants him so there is DRAMA…

The NCAA needs to let the Pruitt-Tennessee thing alone…UT never prospered under Pruitt...UT lost millions of dollars in fan profits due to lower tickets and merch sales…Pruitt was fired and lost most of his income…Pruitt was radioactive in college ball for two years (and still is)…Fat Phil is permanently radioactive in the NCAA…A lot of his recruits left in the portal… Some that stayed at UT played a major role in their miracle season, this year (Pruitt’s recruits Hooker Hyatt, ect)….It got UT the coach they wanted…It should be over already…but Bama wants him so there is DRAMA…

Or, if they aren't going to leave it alone, they should treat the Vol's admin as the equal guilty party that they were. They have the charge of lack of institutional control for a reason... but yet they rarely apply it when it best fits.

Again though, as I've said previously... and this info could be wrong but it comes from someone within the building.... the NCAA has indicated to UA that the Covid rules that were defied and broken are/were more concerning to them than the payments.

Or, if they aren't going to leave it alone, they should treat the Vol's admin as the equal guilty party that they were. They have the charge of lack of institutional control for a reason... but yet they rarely apply it when it best fits.

Again though, as I've said previously... and this info could be wrong but it comes from someone within the building.... the NCAA has indicated to UA that the Covid rules that were defied and broken are/were more concerning to them than the payments.
I hear you…I’m just saying both didn’t really gain from the wrongful actions… They threw JP under the bus… That school has cheated for a long time…One time they rolled on Bama and their violations were swept under a big rug…

I hear you…I’m just saying both didn’t really gain from the wrongful actions… They threw JP under the bus… That school has cheated for a long time…One time they rolled on Bama and their violations were swept under a big rug…

I don't disagree, was just adding come context. If it was pretty much anyone other than Pruitt, the Vols would have handled it completely differently.

Todd Grantham is a much better choice than Charlie Strong. He can't maintain a solid defense; in the first few years of his tenure(s) they're hot and then fall off.

Strong hasn't been able to field a decent defense since we saw the game flip to offense in the last decade. Literally, Ole Miss had a better defense last season.
Its kind of like Mike Stoops. Dude was an excellent DC when he was at OU from 1999-2003. He becomes the HC of Arizona, gets fired, and becomes OU's DC again starting in 2012. The results were terrible. I think it was obvious that he didn't adjust his schemes from the early 2000s.

Kind of on a funny note, but Sooner fans were so damn happy when Mike came back in 2012. Brent Venables was their DC before Mike's return, and Sooner fans were not big fans of Brent. His defenses were usually good for Big 12 standards, but usually only peaked in the top 30 of all college football programs. Sooner fans blamed him for the problem, but I think a lot of that was because Bob Stoops decided to implement the "score as quickly and on every drive" approach starting in 2007 with Sam Bradford. I have come to the conclusion that it is extremely difficult for defenses to be in the top 10 with that offensive philosophy.

@TideatMileHigh Grantham is an oddity. He took over a good UF defense in '18 and had them ranked in the top ten in total D the next season—only to fall off in quite a bit in '20 and remained stagnant in '21. (Their scoring defense did the same.)

When he took over at State they were ranked in the 100's in total defense. They finished that season at #10. (he went to Florida.) All three years at Louisville were solid stuff, but the beginning was better than his third year there.

Georgia was just like Florida where he took over a good defense, made it better early on, and they gradually declined year after year.

I'm not suggesting Grantham is the guy. I'm saying he's a better choice than Charlie. Strong hasn't coached a decent defense since we were watching McCarron grow up.

@TideatMileHigh Grantham is an oddity. He took over a good UF defense in '18 and had them ranked in the top ten in total D the next season—only to fall off in quite a bit in '20 and remained stagnant in '21. (Their scoring defense did the same.)

When he took over at State they were ranked in the 100's in total defense. They finished that season at #10. (he went to Florida.) All three years at Louisville were solid stuff, but the beginning was better than his third year there.

Georgia was just like Florida where he took over a good defense, made it better early on, and they gradually declined year after year.

I'm not suggesting Grantham is the guy. I'm saying he's a better choice than Charlie. Strong hasn't coached a decent defense since we were watching McCarron grow up.
Yeah I agree with that assessment of Todd. My take was more geared towards your statement about Charlie Strong, and the fact that he hasn't been a DC since the late 2000s.

Todd Grantham is not a moron, and I kind of view him as being a step or two below a respectable DC like Kevin Steele; however, consistency seems to be Todd Grantham's problem. I wonder why that is?

Yeah I agree with that assessment of Todd. My take was more geared towards your statement about Charlie Strong, and the fact that he hasn't been a DC since the late 2000s.

Todd Grantham is not a moron, and I kind of view him as being a step or two below a respectable DC like Kevin Steele; however, consistency seems to be Todd Grantham's problem. I wonder why that is?
It's interesting to me to see so many folks mention Kevin Steele as a good DC. Not sure why, but I was never impressed by him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom