| FTBL UA Coordinator/coaching changes— SPLIT into offensive and defensive threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of ...

I've heard a few say that Tennessee is expecting to settle with some of the coaches that were under the Pruitt staff.

That comes to mind because it's a lot like the Ole Miss story. We know what we know about CPG and CLK. Seeing those three coaches leaving the Ole Miss program while looking over their coaching resumes, you can see Lane laying the groundwork—"here's the defense, hire as you wish."

In the same light, if the stories coming out of Knoxville are true regarding the former assistants, it's also laying the groundwork—the "baggage" being cleared up.
sorry, not the sharpest tool in the chest, are you saying that baggage being cleared up paves the way for JP to come back?

I would love to see Coach Pruitt and Coach Leonhard both on the staff,and I believe that is a possibilty for sure. If it works for Schumann and Muschamp it can work for us. And we must remember that Coach Kelley has to be replaced also.

The only impairment he has in returning to UA is getting through Alabama's compliance department.

psrez.jpg

here's something nobody is talking about:
David Ballou -- $525,000 to $550,000 through Feb. 28, 2023
Robert Gillespie -- $535,000 through Feb. 28, 2023<-- Likely get extension and will stay.
Pete Golding -- $1.5 million to $1.7 million through Feb. 29, 2024
Bill O'Brien -- $1.1 million through Feb. 28, 2023
Sal Sunseri -- $695,000 to Feb. 28, 2023 (up from $675,000)
Holmon Wiggins -- $575,000 through Feb. 28, 2023 (up from $475,000) <-- Texas wants him
Charles Kelly -- $825,000 through Feb. 28, 2023 <- Took a job with Colorado

They are friends, despite what Bama fans think, Golding is a top coordinator by power 5 standards, he'd immediately bring a recruiting presence that Ole Miss lacks and needs,

I think you hit the nail on the head here, but want to add something.

He is a top coordinator by Power 5 standards, so he can definitely help a struggling defense like Ole Miss. Seeing them improve under Golding will have everyone rah rahing over it, but I want to make the point he isn't up to Alabama standards and making us better. You can be CEO or CFO for a $1M company, but that doesn't mean you can be one for Google, JP Morgan, or Home Depot. Golding can make an Ole Miss better, but we know he didn't make Alabama better. That's ok too, because it takes a special coach for that. Just like MANY head coaches won't be Alabama material when Saban leaves, but that doesn't mean they're bad coaches.

His contract officially ends on the 29th of February, 2024. You're right he's due a retention bonus (125K) if he's still in his position in February of '23. I can't remember if that bonus clause comes into effect on the 29th.

There's probably a copy of his contract somewhere on the 'net.
So, this make sense. If he can't find someone, He's better off keeping Golding... and if we can get Pruitt on staff ... and he takes over next year.... It works out for Saban. I think that's why Saban wanted this plan to work... but I dont' think we can get Pruitt.... this year...

Saban needs his staff in place for 4th quarter workout... and spring camp... So he needs to start making hires within next few weeks. Get OC in place... WR coach.. and then focus on Defense... Defense can wait a while.. but he needs his OC in now, so they can install offense plan.

I think you hit the nail on the head here, but want to add something.

He is a top coordinator by Power 5 standards, so he can definitely help a struggling defense like Ole Miss. Seeing them improve under Golding will have everyone rah rahing over it, but I want to make the point he isn't up to Alabama standards and making us better. You can be CEO or CFO for a $1M company, but that doesn't mean you can be one for Google, JP Morgan, or Home Depot. Golding can make an Ole Miss better, but we know he didn't make Alabama better. That's ok too, because it takes a special coach for that. Just like MANY head coaches won't be Alabama material when Saban leaves, but that doesn't mean they're bad coaches.
I'm going to call it.... I don't think Golding is gone.

He also won’t have somebody lording over him and the defense will be his

Having the best to ever do it over your shoulder isn't the worst thing that could happen to a guy. You can take it one of two directions, a positive way or negative way. Look at Kirby. He's one of many, but still shows working with Saban over you is beneficial. Even Muschamp has seen some success as a head coach, but still as a defensive coach. As much as I dislike Jimbo, he won a Natty at Florida State and saw success under Saban. Charles Huff seeing good things at Marshall. Mike Locksley has Maryland playing better. A guy can take it to big time success or use it as an excuse for why he hasn't produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom