| FTBL U-M football coaches to work satellite camp in Alabama

Bamabww

Bench Warmer
635489854303450002-mark.jpg
By Mark Snyder, Detroit Free Press 3:58 p.m. EDT March 24, 2015

What's the best way to recruit a state that is talent-rich but far from your border?

Set up camp. Literally.

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh and his coaching staff will be assisting at an elite camp in Pratville, Ala., on June 5.

It's a growing trend among schools to hold camps in other parts of the country to see kids who may not be able to get to campus for summer camp.

Holding satellite camps became a big issue last summer, when Penn State's James Franklin partnered with camps at Stetson and Georgia State, ruffling the feathers of ACC and SEC coaches. SEC coaches are restricted from holding a camp more than 50 miles from campus.

Apparently, Notre Dame will be working at Georgia State this year.

U-M signed Prattville's Keith Washington in the 2015 class, prying him away from a commitment to California at the last minute. He was the recruit who told Jim Harbaugh that he could run a 4.3 40-yard dash -- and offered to go in the parking lot right then to prove it.

The satellite camp is a new plan for Michigan but one that seems to be part of the changing tide of recruiting.
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...015/03/24/michigan-football-alabama/70384320/

I'd like to know what kind of payment schools like Michigan are offering to hold camps like this. I have to think it'll cover a decent portion of their (host) expenses for this calendar year.

I imagine that Michigan gave Prattville a considerable amount. They could very well have given them ALL of the camp fees for each kid. Say the camp charges $350 a head at 100 campers. That would help pay for the travel costs for buses on an away trip on Friday nights.

4 hours of camp, free t-shirt only $25 in Alabama. But in Texas, they are charging $50 for 4 hours and no free t-shirt, what gives TTUN?

Did the SEC drop the rule preventing SEC coaches from being featured further than 50 miles?

Can't wait to see them oversign...

635629627007253431-flier.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom