| CURRENT EVENTS Tulsi Gabbard~ "I can no longer remain in today’s Democratic Party ..."

Another non sequitur. Being predisposed to particular behaviors and having biological urges doesn't justify anything, especially if it involves aggression towards another person who "belongs" to others or is otherwise viable. I only brought that up to counter your false equivalency of having sex and driving drunk. I'm sorry if I'm the first to tell you this, but most sexual encounters are spontaneous, not an event decided in advance like a doctor's appointment. One or both participants usually have to be "in the mood" which cannot always be predicted and planned.

FYI that's all the sex ed I feel comfortable offering you at this time.:giggle:
The problem here is that you are advising that someone has to counter their urges in some cases but not others. You are creating convenience limits to everything, sex and abortion. Whatever is convenient for you to say abortion must exist because people like sex and can't be expected to ever control themselves or take precautions against the consequences.

I will say that you are also using some societal mores (consent and agency) while rejecting the fact that there could be others just because they hurt your argument. You are picking and choosing with morals you like, and refusing that there could be others. Would you allow 14 year olds to have sex with 50 year olds if it was consensual? Should people who have sex in public be left alone? Since sex is such a huge drive that we can be excused of consequences due to it then there should be no laws that punish any consensual sex to you.

Last edited:
The problem here is that you are advising that someone has to counter their urges in some cases but not others. You are creating convenience limits to everything, sex and abortion. Whatever is convenient for you to say abortion must exist because people like sex and can't be expected to ever control themselves or take precautions against the consequences.

I will say that you are also using some societal mores (consent and agency) while rejecting the fact that there could be others just because they hurt your argument. You are picking and choosing with morals you like, and refusing that there could be others. Would you allow 14 year olds to have sex with 50 year olds if it was consensual? Should people who have sex in public be left alone? Since sex is such a huge drive that we can be excused of consequences due to it then there should be no laws that punish any consensual sex to you.
I realize that as the thread gets longer it becomes more difficult to absorb everything in it, especially since some of my posts are a bit long. But based on your response, I can tell you haven't assimilated everything I've posted. If you're too busy or multitasking, I understand. I thought I've been clear, but my argument is not a moral or ideological one. It's purely a legal and consequentialist argument.

This is where the quote feature is useful. Instead of claiming what I've supposedly said, quote it precisely. Then respond directly to it.
  • For instance, please identify where I've done what you claimed in the first bold portion above.
  • In the second bold portion, let me reply by saying you can put expectations on others all you want, but everyone isn't going to live up to your expectations all the time. And guess what, none of us live up to our own expectations all of the time. We all fall short of our own goals, and sometime we discover we had the wrong goals to begin with. I haven't even been arguing about expectations or social norms. Instead, I've been making the case how the legal and criminal justice system ought to respond when family planning mistakes are made. When it comes to expectations, you might be surprised to hear that I actually support teaching abstinence to children in most cases, although strong-willed children must be given fewer absolutes. I think it's important to understand that generally speaking, youth promiscuity, among women especially, is largely due to insufficient connection and care at home. And if parents understood this, they would interpret promiscuous behavior in their children as a barometer of how connected they are to them. Of course in other cases, hormones just run wild, especially among males. I think environmental factors also come into play here: social, ecological, dietary, etc. In the end I think it's useful to balance our parenting with historical norms. The truth is most of our grandparents started families much younger than we did. And the further back into our species' history you go, you are reminded of how common it was to reproduce while quite young. So maybe its unrealistic and unnatural to expect youth to remain abstinent for long. Hell, most of the great historical figures were making their history by their 20s if not earlier, and if they were alive today they would be stunted by the numerous obstacles that delay independence and adulthood: high school, college, graduate school, housing scarcity and inflation, internships, vocational license or certification, paying off student loans, etc. Let's be frank, it is more laborious and costly today to become self-sufficient than it used to be when opportunity and land was abundant and barriers to entry were negligible for most trades. Our slow evolutionary process hasn't caught up to modern socio-economic and political trends that are only a century or so in the making. From an analytical perspective, it shouldn't be any surprise that there's an increasing number of unwanted pregnancies in an era in which adulthood is delayed in the face of the persistent biological drive to reproduce shaped by millions of years of evolution. You can either legally allow a safety valve such as abortion to stem the flow of ill-parented and malnourished children entering the world and growing into anti-social adults destined for prison, or you can ban abortion and get more of this. I encourage everyone to click and watch that video, if you haven't already seen it when it became viral. Again, my argument this whole time is how we should legally deal with family planning mistakes. Banning contingency plans will not eliminate human error or simplify the complex web of family planning. On the other hand, keeping all options legal and safe does make planning easier. And the less stressed and more in control parents are over their own affairs, the better parents they will be. Again, family life and parenting responsibilities matter too much to force it upon those who don't want it or who aren't ready for it.
  • Now the 3rd highlighted portion ... No I wouldn't criminalize that in particular. I also wouldn't criminalize the father or a gang of concerned fathers in solidarity visiting that 50-year old and showing him some common law justice. Again, if you're familiar with history, you know this stuff happened regularly without justice being clogged through the bottleneck of bureaucratic police departments and court systems. Justice has always messy. But we in 2022 are conditioned by people in uniforms and robes having the exclusive right to handle dispute resolutions of all sorts. And as the role of government has expanded so has its prison population and the tax burden on tax payers. Again read my previous posts. I say somewhere how we can both punish AND prevent misbehavior in a variety of ways without having to rely on the state to criminalize it. I would not criminalize most of what is criminalized today, mainly because I don't want my money being taxed and given to support bad or evil people as they waste their life away in prison doing no one any good in an unproductive manner.
  • Now the 4th bold portion ... again I would not criminalize public sex unless it happened against the rules of someone else's private property. Obviously government owned property will has rules, but I'm really not enthusiastic about enforcing every petty government rule, especially when we are talking about peaceful behavior like this. But behavior can and should be criminalized if it's in violation of property or contract. But let me say that this line of questioning seems to imply that chaos would ensue if there were no laws against every single undesirable behavior. But this just isn't true. Social norms and pressure always exist in the absence of laws. People still acted decently in 1900 when government authorities performed a fraction of the responsibilities they perform today. We all know that offensive behavior always results in social costs of some sort, either to your social network or to your employment opportunities. This bleeds into the final bold portion in which you propose "being excused of consequences" which is a Straw Man. No one is ever excused of consequences. Just because the law doesn't forbid something, doesn't mean that your neighbors will accept it. Again, I encourage you to revisit my earlier posts in this thread. Boycotting can be a rather brutal consequence. At least in prison you are supported by the tax payer in rather luxurious accommodations according to historical standards. But to be isolated from social and economic relations is terrifying and can reform behavior quite drastically at minimal expense, and yet it is within your power at any time to start a boycott. Yet we are all lazy and expect the government to do everything for us. After all we live under the biggest and most expensive government in the history of the world. Why work to mobilize a social movement if you can just get a desperate politician always in need for a new constituency to legislate into existence whatever that constituency demands? Why try to change hearts and minds through debate and activism when you can convince a bunch of "small government" politicians to decree that every uterus be subject to the state? Like I said earlier, why not also ask the government to surveil every bedroom to regulate all reproductive behavior since we know that humans occasionally make family planning mistakes which we know leads to predictable negative outcomes? It's worth considering that maybe so many of us go running to the government to enforce a ban because we are afraid that we are in the minority and that others will not despise something as much as we despise it ...

Last edited:
That's just simplistic and naive to assume people cannot control other urges just because they have an unplanned pregnancy. Perhaps you're not aware, but there are a myriad of circumstances that can lead to an unplanned pregnancy, let alone a planned pregnancy that at some point goes awry and the woman no longer wants to complete it or is too poor or unfit to care for a special needs child.

And with regard to the other highlighted portion above, this echoes what I already mentioned in this thread about how odd it is that pro-lifers use their stance to punish unprepared parents. Think that through. You want to punish a mother by forcing her to become a parent. You're using that "innocent, unborn child" as a means of punishment. How is that not dehumanizing? How is that not using "a human life" in a trivial manner? In any other context would you ever think it was wise to punish a wrong-doer by giving them custody of a newborn baby? It's very peculiar that you and other pro-lifers value parenting and the family so little that you would force it upon others who are unfit or unprepared. To love, care, and train a child is far too critical of a responsibility to force it upon non-consenting people.
My opinion may be simplistic, but is just my opinion, which happens to be just as viable as yours or anyone else. I nor anyone else is forcing any woman to drop her panties and conceive. Except in cases of rape. You need to think about the punishment and death of an unborn fetus. Would you not consider that as punishment in the most horrible way? Men and women CHOOSE to procreate, to have sex, to make babies. They bring it on THEMSELVES. To quote you, "To love, care,and train a child is far too critical of a responsibility to force it on non-consenting parents."
If a man and woman do not want the responsibility of rearing a child, then be responsible enough to NOT MAKE ONE.

No reason to continue discussion. You believe social mores regarding rape are to be enforced but that once consent is made by anyone of any age then abortion or gang violence is the only recourse. There can be no common ground for discussion when one person believes most nothing should be illegal and another believes there are some things that should and some thigns that shouldn't. I get the mass incarceration deal, but most of that is solved by removing true victimless crimes. A 50 year old having sex with a 14 year old is not a victimless crime. You seem to feel that life does not begin until the mother says so, which is your right to believe, and even possibly that this point is sometime after birth. But, since we can't agree to a definition of when something becomes murder and then how to treat that, it is impossible to continue discussion.

My opinion may be simplistic, but is just my opinion, which happens to be just as viable as yours or anyone else. I nor anyone else is forcing any woman to drop her panties and conceive. Except in cases of rape. You need to think about the punishment and death of an unborn fetus. Would you not consider that as punishment in the most horrible way? Men and women CHOOSE to procreate, to have sex, to make babies. They bring it on THEMSELVES. To quote you, "To love, care,and train a child is far too critical of a responsibility to force it on non-consenting parents."
If a man and woman do not want the responsibility of rearing a child, then be responsible enough to NOT MAKE ONE.
1. I never said anyone is forcing a woman to drop her panties and conceive. So you're not responding to anything I've said with that statement.

2. Not the most horrible, no. I think the more you have to lose, the more painful loss is. So for the sake of argument, I think the death of a parent or spouse is more horrible than the death of a child, which itself is more horrible than the death of an incomplete human fetus. While it's a bit morbid to think this way, it isn't farfetched that some deaths may be worse than others. Moreover this is a decision only the mother (and potentially father) would have to live with. To force the birth of an unwanted child is a decision all of society will have to live with, with an outcome likely to be negative. So out of the two possible choices here, a bad decision that affects only the people responsible for the mistake is preferable to a decision that affects others in the community in one way or another who were in no way responsible for the conception.

3. Yes but procreation isn't a guaranteed outcome, even when it is desired. In fact, the incidence of sex is far greater than the incidence of conception. Besides the pleasure of sex, apart from procreation, is something you aren't accounting for. People everywhere have sex for sex's sake. If the sex to conception ratio was closer to 1:1, you'd have a stronger argument. You could more realistically preach your gospel and expect people to take you seriously. As it stands now, your gospel is more akin to advising people to avoid driving because they might be involved in a auto collision.

4. This final bold portion is really just irrelevant because it's you telling others what they ought to do. Well like I keep saying, people aren't going to do what you say. And some will try to follow your advice and still fail. So what then????? What do we do about family planning mistakes????? This isn't an argument about how people should ideally conduct their sex lives. If it was, I probably wouldn't disagree with you. This is a debate about what to do with unwanted pregnancies and the uncared for children that result. I'm making the case that to force parenthood on people who want out IS MORE COSTLY TO SOCIETY, as the link I shared in my previous post indicates, than limiting the effects to the participants themselves. Abortions function as a kind of quarantine that protects family planning mistakes from spilling over into the general population.

No reason to continue discussion. You believe social mores regarding rape are to be enforced but that once consent is made by anyone of any age then abortion or gang violence is the only recourse. There can be no common ground for discussion when one person believes most nothing should be illegal and another believes there are some things that should and some thigns that shouldn't. I get the mass incarceration deal, but most of that is solved by removing true victimless crimes. A 50 year old having sex with a 14 year old is not a victimless crime. You seem to feel that life does not begin until the mother says so, which is your right to believe, and even possibly that this point is sometime after birth. But, since we can't agree to a definition of when something becomes murder and then how to treat that, it is impossible to continue discussion.
Look, I'm not willing to die on the hill of not sending the police after this 50-year old. You asked me that odd question, so I gave you my ideal answer. I'm strongly opposed to the prison, which is a fairly novel institution in the history of mankind. I'm a history guy, so I'm less attached to conventions because I appreciate how everything shiny and new isn't always better than what came before. In my mind, I don't want the tax man taking my money and giving it to a corrupt government agency to keep evil people rotting in prison doing nothing to pay back society. It's an utter waste. I'd rather find less costly forms of restitution, and if necessary retribution.

No, I never said life begins when the mother says so. Again, cite me. I already admitted that life begins at conception. Familiarize yourself with my views before replying to Straw Man arguments. I've already explained my view about the difference between murdering a productive adult in the community vs a parent disposing of their child. Both are abhorrent and deserving of social costs and censure. The former, as I see it, is a theft to the community deserving of criminal status. The latter is a sin that only god can judge. Parents don't owe children to the community. But murderers who effectively steal members from the community deserve the community's wrath.

I wish it were different, but there simply is no public policy remedy for the problem of parents who don't want their children, or frankly who abuse/neglect their children. All I'm saying is some problems are beyond the scope of the state to fix, and government attempts to fix some problems only results in worse outcomes. Utopias aren't possible. At least we can stop paying the government to make matters worse.

Last edited:
You said, " You want to punish a Mother by forcing her to become a parent."
First, A Mother is already a parent.
Second, In my mind, Conceiving a child correlates to becoming a parent.
Third, I do not correlate becoming a parent as punishment for having sex.

I used to think somewhat like you Musso, in my younger days, didn't have much of an opinion either way.
As I grew older and have read and heard many opinons and have studied a bit about the human fetus, I guess you could say that
I have saw the light and believe that a fetus with a heartbeat pumping blood through it, made up of cells, all working in conjunction with
each other, to form an unborn life, much like you and I and everybody else.

I could be very wrong about this, but, by your writings, it seems like you may be trying to justify something that may have happened in your
life somewhere along the line, or perhaps a son or a daughter's.

You said, " You want to punish a Mother by forcing her to become a parent."
First, A Mother is already a parent.
Second, In my mind, Conceiving a child correlates to becoming a parent.
Third, I do not correlate becoming a parent as punishment for having sex.

I used to think somewhat like you Musso, in my younger days, didn't have much of an opinion either way.
As I grew older and have read and heard many opinons and have studied a bit about the human fetus, I guess you could say that
I have saw the light and believe that a fetus with a heartbeat pumping blood through it, made up of cells, all working in conjunction with
each other, to form an unborn life, much like you and I and everybody else.

I could be very wrong about this, but, by your writings, it seems like you may be trying to justify something that may have happened in your
life somewhere along the line, or perhaps a son or a daughter's
When a woman becomes pregnant I consider her a mother in a strict biological sense. But she becomes a parent when she begins parenting. Perhaps I could have made my earlier point by saying it this way: "You want to punish a woman who regrets her pregnancy by forcing her to become a parent."

Becoming a biological mother or father requires only a few minutes. However, the mother or father may not become or even remain the child's parent. Lots of circumstances can disrupt the progression from mother/father to parent: miscarriages, stillbirths, loss of custody, death of mother/father before birth, etc. I don't know anyone who has experienced a miscarriage or stillbirth who would also say they have been a "parent" to the lost fetus. Conversely, being a child's parent doesn't mean you are the biological mother or father. Lots of people become parents through adoption, but they would never equate their role as parent with also being their child's biological father or mother. Many of us know of mothers and fathers who are derelict in their parenting duties. We might say they don't "parent" their children. Simply put, the requirements for being a mother or father are far fewer than being a parent. Parenting requires duties beyond childbirth.

Again, as you see from my earlier posts in this thread, I don't disagree with your assessment of a fetus. I just think calling a fetus a human being doesn't automatically force you into the position of calling for the state to force parenthood on people who don't want it or who cannot perform the responsibilities. Answer me these questions:

Would you also force a handicapped or disabled woman who became pregnant to carry her fetus full term and become a parent?

Is it murder to pull the plug on someone kept alive by life support medical devices when it becomes too costly?

How would you want the government to handle the crime of murder committed by conjoined twins, but by only one of them?

Lastly, unless you're a psychological genius, your evaluation of me is very wrong LOL. I'm not trying to justify something from my past. I do know people who have had miscarriages, stillbirths, special needs children, and pregnancy/childbirth complications. I know only one person who has chosen an abortion, although perhaps I know more but they've kept it secret. I'm a long time member of this board, but I've been inactive for a while. Any old-timers here might remember how much I enjoy debating. So don't read too much into my verbosity. I enjoy testing my opinions out on others who I know will disagree. I think debate makes us all sharper, more well-rounded, and more understanding of the "other."

I really do think conservatives miss the mark on their abortion stances. If you value the family and think it's central to civilization, then how can you cheapen it with fabrications and false copies? If you think parenting is critical to creating productive and responsible citizens, then why force parenting upon unprepared or unfit people? Conservatives and progressives alike succumb to the same tendencies to make the world better through government activism while actually making the world worse. Progressives are generally worse than conservatives, but it's useful to see the similarity when it applies. Progressives think they can make some people richer by redistributing wealth by government fiat, but in doing so they initiate a cascade of negative externalities that result in a poorer society and greater wealth inequality. This result feeds the conditions that progressives say they need to fix! On the other hand, conservatives think they can improve society by making irresponsible and unfit people into proper parents by government fiat, but the result is a net negative burden on society by increasing the number of anti-social youth, school dropouts, which leads to criminality, and more births out of wedlock. In both cases, it's a self-perpetuating feedback loop. At the end of the day, progressives need to accept that baseline poverty will always exist as long as people are free to make mistakes in their careers and finances, but freedom produces less total and lasting poverty by increasing economic opportunity and rising living standards for even the poorest. Similarly conservatives need to accept that some family planning mistakes and abortions will always exist, but if people are free to correct their mistakes with all options available to them, the families that remain who are raising children will be more stable and better incubators for future generations. The fewer broken homes and fewer single parent families, the stronger our country will become.

Last edited:
The science community doesn’t agree with your opinion or every scientist in the world would agree that abortion is murder.

No that’s not what I’m after.
The science community does agree with what I'm repeating. It's dependent, in today's society, how you interpret what's been stated. A quick google search:

Screenshot 2022-10-19 7.39.29 PM.png

The science community doesn’t agree with your opinion or every scientist in the world would agree that abortion is murder.

No that’s not what I’m after.
Here's one of thsose things that strikes me as one of those "hang on a second" things.

When two cells merge, in any other life form—plant, mineral, or animal—it's considered a new life.

When we get down to it, I find it really simple. You can't say life doesn't begin at conception because when the sperm hits the egg the result has been proven. That's science.

Where the debate lies, if we want to call it that, is when should that development be allowed to be terminated. That's why I asked, is "viability" your belief? I don't see fact to support suggesting science backs up when life begins.

Is this the Brave New World Huxley hypothesized? As we watch 1984 in reality, how much of this is about population control?

Do you find it perplexing how they talk about one of the main issues in this next election being the economy, we see Stacy Abrams talk about abortion easing the effects of our population struggling, and that's a reason to support no "term limits?"

@ElephantStomp I do agree with you that majority of America do not support an abortion in—for this example—the third trimester.

Do you disagree that the majority of the "left wing base" refuse to state so publicly? Their constituents will, but their representation does not?

As low as we're seeing abortion drop in the polling interest it'll be interesting to see how states decide their stances. It looks like states like California won't leave it up to a vote.

how much of this is about population control?

Do you find it perplexing how they talk about one of the main issues in this next election being the economy, we see Stacy Abrams talk about abortion easing the effects of our population struggling, and that's a reason to support no "term limits?"
I'm sure some of it is about population control. Hell you can hear World Economic Forum and WHO people openly expressing such concerns. Elites in modern times have almost always held overpopulation phobias primarily because their attempts to subjugate plebeians can be made easier if we are fewer. They've used climate fears for decades now as a means to propose the growth of government regulation into more sectors, with the goalposts being moved back further and further as "points of no return" come and go.

But there's a strong belief also among leftists, which I consider merited, that reproductive sovereignty is one of the few rights (and powers) that inherently belong to child bearers (ie women) as a counter balance in a world long dominated by men, both physically and until recently legally too. They see anything that limits abortions as a limit on a woman's ability to decide her own fate. A pregnancy and childbirth irrevocably change many physical features and biological functions of a woman's body, rendering her more vulnerable postpartum. The ability to control an event which will leave permanent scars, both literally, financially, and figuratively, is no small matter. Imagine if you were a woman who lost your man after conception, either to another woman or to death. Imagine if you lost your job at some point after conception or had any number of possible life-altering crises during the next 9 months like an illness, significant injury, or anythingn else which would unexpectedly make becoming a parent too difficult to bear. As men, it takes effort to see it from the other sex's perspective, especially if they are in a lower income bracket than you with fewer fall back plans and support to lean on.

Religious texts are not a valid argument for or against laws. You would not like it if another religion became the majority and imposed their religion on you.
Religion is a belief system!!!
Currently the belief system of the far left to blur the lines between male and female, pro-abortion, men can compete against women, “white privilege”, are belief systems being shoved down our throats!!!
I’m a live and let live individual, I don’t force my beliefs on anyone and don’t want people telling me I’m evil because I have moral standards. On top of that they don’t want diversity in thought. Oh and the federal government doesn’t need to get involved in state matters!!

Back
Top Bottom