| FTBL Trick Plays and Play Calling

G

I wanted to point out that we haven't seen a single trick play so far this season. I know this might not seem like that big of a deal to most fans, but there were moments this weekend where they could of been of use. You would think that there are some kind of formations that we have not seen yet also.

I might get ripped for this but I have to mention the play calling. I hate to re-harp on it because I know its been discussed but was Mike on the sidelines at one time? :lol: After reviewing the replay of the game I saw that the last 4 first down plays were running plays up the middle or off tackle. I know we're in hindsight now, but why not take a shot at the endzone? I think we kind of dropped the ball on play calling near the end of the game but maybe its the growing pains of a young OC.

We did however make a great 4th quarter comeback for the OT, so I'm not fully dissapointed. I usually don't post on things like this because simply, I'm a sunshine pumping homer. :D

I heard that on Fridays they practice trick plays. but I don't know why they don't use them either... that one that LSU made was awesome!!

BAMA JAMMA said:
I guess this thread could be parallel to this one on the views of play calls http://www.crimsontusks.com/about23622-0.html

Honestly I'm not big into trick plays right now. Sure they are great and all, but we have got to get the basics down first in this virgin program.

Sometimes a trick play can get momentum going, and its like throwing for the endzone on 1st and 10. you take a chance on it working or not. sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. but it keeps a defense confused adn on their toes

BAMA JAMMA said:
I guess this thread could be parallel to this one on the views of play calls http://www.crimsontusks.com/about23622-0.html

Honestly I'm not big into trick plays right now. Sure they are great and all, but we have got to get the basics down first in this virgin program.

I agree. Once we can catch the ball consistently, throw the ball on target consistently, run the ball consistently and block consistently, then we can worry about trick plays.

StuckNMS said:
BAMA JAMMA said:

I agree. Once we can catch the ball consistently, throw the ball on target consistently, run the ball consistently and block consistently, then we can worry about trick plays.

so once we have no need to run trick plays, we should start running them... THATS BRILLIANT!!!!

StuckNMS said:
BAMA JAMMA said:

Actually, that's what LSU and UF are doing now and it seems to be working fine.

Nate said:
so once we have no need to run trick plays, we should start running them... THATS BRILLIANT!!!!

what is it with people having a smart reply all the sudden on here? Is it the loss leaving a bitter taste in peoples mouths? C'mon guys! Support your team and those who embrace it (this forum included).

Sheesh.

Anyways, in regards to your reply, I understand where you guys are coming from and wanting to see something "new" or "exciting" but you have to be realistic (not trying to offend anyone here). If they can't be consistant on even the most basic of plays (as seen in all of the games this year with the exception of WCU), how in the world do you expect them to pull off some trick plays?

The guys need to get settled in this new program, get confident with each other, make the commitment to being "as one" out of the field. Once they find themselves and can click consistantly, then we can run some razzle dazzles or anything they can think of. But we need to iron out the basics first, then worry about the polish later on.

True, trick plays can be momentum changers but they aren't going to help when the offense can't get the job done the rest of the time on the field before or after that.

We just need to focus, execute, trust and know our positions.

Just my .02

I'm sure the tricks are there. I have a feeling they are being held under tight security until it's time.
Don't ask me when is the right time to show'em off,I don't know. Bet the coach knows whan it's time. We'll know when the time's right the day we see then do it.

kudzu said:
I'm sure the tricks are there. I have a feeling they are being held under tight security until it's time.
Don't ask me when is the right time to show'em off,I don't know. Bet the coach knows whan it's time. We'll know when the time's right the day we see then do it.

Waiting until the Iron Bowl where he well run nothing but trick plays. Have you ever ran a fake punt on NCAA Football on 1st down? I haven't had a new video game in a while but it used to work like a charm.

Maybe if we put in the Statue of Liberty Play, we can be the next Boise State!!!! ;tr

tha70c54f8.gif

BAMA JAMMA said:
Nate said:

what is it with people having a smart reply all the sudden on here? Is it the loss leaving a bitter taste in peoples mouths? C'mon guys! Support your team and those who embrace it (this forum included).

Sheesh.

Anyways, in regards to your reply, I understand where you guys are coming from and wanting to see something "new" or "exciting" but you have to be realistic (not trying to offend anyone here). If they can't be consistant on even the most basic of plays (as seen in all of the games this year with the exception of WCU), how in the world do you expect them to pull off some trick plays?

The guys need to get settled in this new program, get confident with each other, make the commitment to being "as one" out of the field. Once they find themselves and can click consistantly, then we can run some razzle dazzles or anything they can think of. But we need to iron out the basics first, then worry about the polish later on.

True trick plays can be momentum changers but they aren't going to help when the offense can't get the job done the rest of the time on the field before or after that.

We just need to focus, execute, trust and know our positions.

Just my .02
I meant nothing bad by my response towards you.. lol sorry it came out that way.. but I can be a bit of a smart ass :p what i meant was.. if everything else is clicking there is no need for trick plays unless you are urban cryer and wanna run up the score

I know we have them, I just don't know why we haven't seen a single one.

It doesn't even have to be a trick play. I just want to see more of a killer instinct in the play calling. I think we were seriously lacking in that department last Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom