| NEWS tOSU: "We're #1 in NIL deals because the company we hired says we're #1."

Max

Buckeye athletes have claimed nearly $3 million in NIL earnings, which Ohio State says leads the country.

A total of 220 student-athletes have engaged in 608 reported NIL activities with a total compensation value of $2.98 million. All three figures rank No. 1 nationally, according to Opendorse, the cutting edge services company hired by Ohio State to help its student-athletes with education and resource opportunities to maximize their NIL earning potential.

This is like a news station claiming "most trustworthy news station." All this is based on things they don't know.

There's another company, INFLCR, that's been tracking numbers as well. There has to be a margin of error accounted for, somewhere.

The company that OSU is using, OpenDorse, is stating 68% of the NIL deals around the country are going to men. INFLCR reports that the majority is going to men but it's only 59% of the total. In Ohio State's case alone that 10% different accounts for around 300K. The disparity, though small, makes me question both.

INFLCR also reported that women's basketball is getting a higher percentage than men's: that shocked me. Their CEO said if we were to take football out of the numbers the women (five sports) account for over 50% of the agreements made.
As I recall they broke it down showing the three sports carried 90% of the deals: football (48%), men's basketball (18%) and women's basketball (26%.)

Back
Top Bottom