| NEWS The top QB prospect in America could be a millionaire college football player within one week's time, and in all hinges on a niche beverage brand.

18Champs

Jaydon Blue, the top high school running back in the state of Texas, has opted out of his senior year in order to focus on his schooling and preserve his body for the grind of the college game.

Quinn Ewers, not only the top high school quarterback in Texas but the entire nation, is considering opting out of his senior year to, essentially, become a professional quarterback in the college game.

Yahoo's Pete Thamel reported Wednesday that Ewers is considering leaving Southlake Carroll to enroll at Ohio State early. Doing so would allow him to cash in on NIL opportunities worth $1 million, and potentially more than that.
Ewers has been offered an equity stake in Holy Kombucha, a "tasty, probiotic-packed, live and raw kombucha delivered to your doorstep."

The quarterback hasn't made a decision yet, but admitted he's leaning toward taking the deal and becoming a Buckeye.

There are many aspects to this story. We'll break the major ones down one by one.

The Money

Should Ewers take the deal, he'd become a Buckeye and free not only to become a part-owner in the company, but also take other deals as well. Nick Saban claimed Bryce Young has $1 million-plus worth of opportunities heading his way, without having started a game.

“There’s no better business class at Carroll High School that he could take right now,” Curtis Ewers, Quinn's father, told Yahoo. “It’s important for all the reasons you can imagine. [Equity] is how you build wealth, not just quick cash.”

That said, the centerpiece to Ewers' marketability is his status as the top prep quarterback in America. While $1 million stares him in the face today, how does one balance that against his development as a quarterback? Patrick Mahomes signed a contract worth $500 million. Considering how the money in professional football is only going up, it's not at all out of the realm of possibility that Ewers could be on his way to becoming a billionaire by his 40th birthday.... so long as he fulfills his potential on the field.

That said, do you know how you would have reacted if someone shoved $1 million in your face at 18 years old? Football is a violent sport, and none of us are promised tomorrow. This offer could be as good as it gets for Ewers. None of us know.

Ewers is considering skipping his senior year of high school now. Hope all those that wanted to allow this are happy with the result.
There were kids reclassifying before the NIL process started. Seeing a kid finish his high school work and being able to graduate a year early is something everyone should be happy with: he's been applying himself in high school.

The University of Alabama's athletic programs have benefitted from recruits who reclassify: a lot of schools have.

I foresee on the recruiting trail…

5 star Kid visits University of X. Coach: We’ve got you an endorsement deal with XY Software Company if you sign here, they’ll give you $1MM per year.

Same kid visits University of Y. Kid: Hey coach, University X has me a $1MM a year endorsement deal. What you got if I pick you?

Rinse and repeat….

There were kids reclassifying before the NIL process started. Seeing a kid finish his high school work and being able to graduate a year early is something everyone should be happy with: he's been applying himself in high school.

The University of Alabama's athletic programs have benefitted from recruits who reclassify: a lot of schools have.

I must have missed where he was reclassifying. Where does it say that? "Becoming a Buckeye", I took in the sense his high school career was over for football, so in that regard he is a Buckeye. If he reclassified he'd be on campus this Fall. Did I miss that somewhere too?

Ewers is considering skipping his senior year of high school now.
I must have missed where he was reclassifying. Where does it say that?
You said that. If he's skipping his senior year he's graduating after his junior year. He'd be reclassifying from one year's class to another.

And by the way, when I read this I don't get the impression he's getting cash:

Ewers has been offered an equity stake in Holy Kombucha

I foresee on the recruiting trail…

5 star Kid visits University of X. Coach: We’ve got you an endorsement deal with XY Software Company if you sign here, they’ll give you $1MM per year.

Same kid visits University of Y. Kid: Hey coach, University X has me a $1MM a year endorsement deal. What you got if I pick you?

Rinse and repeat….
That is actually against NIL rules, making a deal contingent upon signing with a particular school, but good luck getting them to enforce it.

You said that. If he's skipping his senior year he's graduating after his junior year. He'd be reclassifying from one year's class to another.

And by the way, when I read this I don't get the impression he's getting cash:

I clearly meant skipping his senior year of football. We all know you have to receive a diploma and complete coursework to attend college.

Equity in a company is worth cash any way you spin it. He could cash in at any time I would think, if his lawyers are any good.

I clearly meant skipping his senior year of football. We all know you have to receive a diploma and complete coursework to attend college.
The way it's being reported isn't fair to the kid, in my eyes.

He's skipping his final playing year. I understand he only has one class to complete and he's done with his requirements. It mirrors Kira's story.

Equity in a company is worth cash any way you spin it. He could cash in at any time I would think, if his lawyers are any good
I don't see that being structured where he could cash out at any time without some big breach of contract. There has to be stipulations included which would be linked to years playing at his collegiate choice.

The way it's being reported isn't fair to the kid, in my eyes.

He's skipping his final playing year. I understand he only has one class to complete and he's done with his requirements. It mirrors Kira's story.

I don't see that being structured where he could cash out at any time without some big breach of contract. There has to be stipulations included which would be linked to years playing at his collegiate choice.

Ahh, gotcha. Guess I shouldn't necessarily buy into the wording of a lot of stuff right now, especially dealing with NIL since there is so much unknown and speculation.

When I saw this yesterday, the part that stood out to me was Pete Thamel saying this...

Quinn Ewers is unquestionably the best-known high school football player in the country.

I may be off base here, but I'd bet a lot more folks overall know of Arch Manning. Not a big deal either way, just a weird statement to throw in unquestionably.

When I saw this yesterday, the part that stood out to me was Pete Thamel saying this...

I may be off base here, but I'd bet a lot more folks overall know of Arch Manning. Not a big deal either way, just a weird statement to throw in unquestionably.

I see “BUST” written all over him. If his focus is on $ instead of 🏈, he may exit with more money but not wealthier.

Agreed x2

I see “BUST” written all over him. If his focus is on $ instead of 🏈, he may exit with more money but not wealthier.

I sorta thought the same thing, but for a different reason. And it's is nothing more than a hunch since I know absolutely nothing of him and have spent exactly 0 seconds watching his highlight clips on YouTube. Then again, he could be Andre Luck with a mullet.

I sorta thought the same thing, but for a different reason. And it's is nothing more than a hunch since I know absolutely nothing of him and have spent exactly 0 seconds watching his highlight clips on YouTube. Then again, he could be Andre Luck with a mullet.
Above: let's start with Southlake Carroll and what we do know about their quarterbacks.

Back
Top Bottom