Tips on modding a camper trailer into a concession/catering trailer?

Check out Craigslist, I use http://www.searchtempest.com/ to search Craigslist. There is a guy in Huntsville selling one (http://huntsville.craigslist.org/bfs/5158114507.html), probably more than you want to pay.

I think the challenge is spending as little capital as possible to get started, but be in the best position to success.

My mom used to be a health inspector about 10 years ago, maybe 8. I could always ask her some questions if you like.

Poking @tidentrue again, he's into BBQ'ing competitions, so he'd probably have alot of insight.

Below is a guys rig here in town, he started doing this from a trailer and within the last 6 months he's opened a restaurant in town.

10337757_638442846250553_6387438723903458623_n.jpg

Check out Craigslist, I use http://www.searchtempest.com/ to search Craigslist. There is a guy in Huntsville selling one (http://huntsville.craigslist.org/bfs/5158114507.html), probably more than you want to pay.

I think the challenge is spending as little capital as possible to get started, but be in the best position to success.

My mom used to be a health inspector about 10 years ago, maybe 8. I could always ask her some questions if you like.

Poking @tidentrue again, he's into BBQ'ing competitions, so he'd probably have alot of insight.

Below is a guys rig here in town, he started doing this from a trailer and within the last 6 months he's opened a restaurant in town.

10337757_638442846250553_6387438723903458623_n.jpg
That rig in the pic is nice. My ultimate goal is to make enough in the first couple years to eventually open a restaurant. Just like that guy.

I checked the Craigslist guy out. Anything under $20k is ideal. It would pay for itself in 1 year of doing just gamedays. He'd already sold the trailer, though.

I'm kinda digging this one, especially the price for it being fully equipped.

https://www.usedvending.com/i/2012-...ler-with-Porch-for-sale-in-Florida-/FL-P-845R

Now, somebody that wouldn't mind doing me a private loan with a nice interest yield, a 12 month balloon note or something of the like, that would be killer :)

-Sent via Tapatalk for Android

Something that you should also look into, a product called If This Then That (https://ifttt.com/), you can get to it two different ways, via a phone app or the web, basically lets you setup automated things.

I have one setup to send me text messages for weather alerts that get posted, cheaper than buying a Weather Radio. I use this for Craigslist searches & sending text messages based on proximity to a location, and log SMS messages so I can search them just to name a few.

So in your case, you could have this text message you every time a food truck pops up on Craigslist. Let IFTTT automate the work for you to tell you when something pops up.

Something that you should also look into, a product called If This Then That ({title), you can get to it two different ways, via a phone app or the web, basically lets you setup automated things.

I have one setup to send me text messages for weather alerts that get posted, cheaper than buying a Weather Radio. I use this for Craigslist searches & sending text messages based on proximity to a location, and log SMS messages so I can search them just to name a few.

So in your case, you could have this text message you every time a food truck pops up on Craigslist. Let IFTTT automate the work for you to tell you when something pops up.
Pretty cool. I'll have to free up some space on my phone. For some reason, even though I set "default storage device" to my SD Card, it still installs new apps on the phone, and won't let me move it to card.

Frustrating as hell.

Have you checked with UA about setting up for football games? I think they get a pretty big slug of your profits. I guess you could add that back in to the selling cost, but it would be something to consider.

Have you checked with UA about setting up for football games? I think they get a pretty big slug of your profits. I guess you could add that back in to the selling cost, but it would be something to consider.
Left two messages. In talks with a few business close to BDS. I figure that's my best bet.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to be in front of Slutwiler. But, JD's on the corner of 14th or the laundry place a couple blocks up on Bryant Dr look pretty promising, and for far less rental cost, I presume.

UPDATE: In talks with Calvary Baptist about securing a vending lot for next season. That would be a pretty damn good location..

In the meantime, I've already got my commissary lined up. They already have their food license and a full kitchen. So, I'll be starting private catering drop-off service soon.

Any of you Tuscaloosa peeps that would like some delicious BBQ at a great price catered to your office or job site, or would know of someone that does, let me know. Looking to get started within the next 2-3 weeks. Looking at you, @BarnabusStinson, and @RhinoGuy

Good luck, SLO. I've somewhat thought about trying the path you're going down. Most restaurant/food ventures fail 70-90% failure rate. I've never really had the balls to do it. There are lots of people who can make good BBQ, yes, just as good as yours that have felled. Maybe your experience will give you a leg up

Good luck, SLO. I've somewhat thought about trying the path you're going down. Most restaurant/food ventures fail 70-90% failure rate. I've never really had the balls to do it. There are lots of people who can make good BBQ, yes, just as good as yours that have felled. Maybe your experience will give you a leg up
Thanks, man.

Honestly, I've grew up around the food business. Started out as a buss boy in HS, my mom has managed a few restaurants till she became disabled. I've worked directly in the food business most of my adult life. Whether part time while playing in a regional band, all the way up to full time since 2008.

I've seen business models that crashes and burned while I shook my head. I've seen successful models as well. So, I've learned a lot. It's becoming time for me to glean from what I've learned and develop my own successful plan.

With continued battles with a crazy, yet blindly persistent pill head ex that has lost her children probably for good, it doesn't look like I'll be finishing school anytime soon. Looks like some doors are starting to open for me with this.

My goal is to be in front of Calvary Baptist on A-Day. Come by and grab a sammich and some fries. :)

From the Fire Marshal's Office: If you have anything "capable of producing grease laden vapors" and it is in any type of enclosure ( tent, trailer, truck...) you must have a venting system ( exhaust fan) and a suppression system. This includes deep fryers flat griddles etc.

From the Fire Marshal's Office: If you have anything "capable of producing grease laden vapors" and it is in any type of enclosure ( tent, trailer, truck...) you must have a venting system ( exhaust fan) and a suppression system. This includes deep fryers flat griddles etc.
Already got that covered, bruh.

Thanks, mang [emoji481]

I think there are regulations on waste tank, fresh water tank, and hot water heater sizes too. A trailer made for catering may already have the correct sizes but you may want to double check.
Got the handbook from the Health Inspector two weeks ago.

Waste water tank needs to have 15% more volume capacity than fresh water tank.

I don't recall any specificities on water heater... I'll double check on that.

Back
Top Bottom