| FTBL Tide predicted to go back to back

Alabama Crimson Tide has enough firepower to go back to back
3-2-1: Alabama Crimson Tide has enough firepower to go back to back | BamaInsider.com

With Alabama’s preseason camp in the books, it's time for a new edition of the 3-2-1 where we offer three things we've learned, two questions we're asking and one prediction about the Crimson Tide. This week, we’ll examine what we’ve seen from Alabama so far this fall.

THREE OBSERVATIONS

Alabama might rely on offense

For the first time in a while, Alabama might need to call on its offense instead of its defense to bail it out of trouble during tough times. Alabama led the nation in total defense the past two seasons and has ranked in the top five in the category in nine of the past 10 years. While there’s still plenty of talent on this year’s defense, the Crimson Tide returns just three players who started in four or more games last season.

Fortunately for Alabama, even if its defense does experience a bit of a drop-off, the Crimson Tide brings back what should be one of its most potent offensive attacks in years.

Despite a wide array of playmakers, Alabama’s success should start up front where it returns four starters from last year’s offensive line. Jonah Williams, Lester Cotton and Ross Pierschbacher should solidify the left side. Once starting right tackle Matt Womack recovers from a broken foot, he will compete for playing time with five-star sophomores Jedrick Wills and Alex Leatherwood.

That group will be blocking for perhaps the nation’s top stable of running backs featuring five-stars Damien Harris and Najee Harris as well as versatile Josh Jacobs and potential breakout sophomore Brian Robinson.

Alabama still hasn’t announced a quarterback between Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa. However, either passer will have no shortage of options as Alabama brings back its talented line of sophomore receivers in Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs III and Devonta Smith as well five-star freshman Jaylen Waddle and 6-foot-6 redshirt freshman Tyrell Shavers. With weapons like that, Alabama should be able to move the ball with anyone behind center.

Freshmen will once again play a factor

Last season’s national championship game dispelled any truth to the rumor that freshmen don’t play at Alabama. Tagovailoa and Smith, who connected on the game-winning 41-yard touchdown in overtime, stole the headlines, but the play was set up by a block from Leatherwood on the left side. Alabama’s second-half surge was sparked by a touchdown to Ruggs, while Najee Harris led the team with 64 rushing yards on just six carries.

This season, the bulk of Alabama’s freshman production should come on the defensive side of the ball. The Crimson Tide brought in a talented crop of defensive backs headlined by Patrick Surtain II, the No. 1 cornerback in the 2018 class. Surtain has seen time with both the first-team and second-team defense, while cornerback Josh Jobe and Jalyn Armour-Davis and safety Eddie Smith have worked with the second team.

Meanwhile, at linebacker, five-star Eyabi Anoma is the highest rated member of Alabama’s 2018 class and is poised to become the Crimson Tide’s next great pass rusher. Anoma joins fellow outside linebackers Cameron Latu and Jarez Parks as well as Washington transfer Ale Kaho, who should help add depth at inside linebacker.

“All of the freshmen came in, they’re great,” outside linebacker Anfernee Jennings said. "They came in, they’re ready to work. They have the right mindset. They just come in constantly competing, and that’s what it’s all about. When you come into camp, you compete every day. That’s what they’re doing.”

Waddle is the freshman most likely to break out on the offensive side of the ball. The 5-foot-10, 177-pound slot receiver tore up Alabama’s second scrimmage last weekend, hauling in two touchdowns and more than 100 yards through the air. Along with receiving duties, Waddle could also play a factor in the return game.

Secondary still needs work

If there’s one glaring weakness for Alabama as it begins the season, it’s at secondary. Following the Crimson Tide’s second scrimmage, head coach Nick Saban said the unit is still making too many mental errors and has “a lot of things to work on.”

That’s to be expected as the Crimson Tide lost its top six defensive backs from last year. Cornerback Trevon Diggs and safety Deionte Thompson are the only two returners with any starting experience and have a combined three starts between them. Earlier this month, Saban praised the performances of Diggs and sophomore safety Xavier McKinney while challenging the rest of his defensive backs to display the same amount of consistency.

“Everybody else has been a little up and down, and to me, everybody else's positions… there's competition at all the rest of the positions,” Saban said. “How we fit the guys around those two guys remains to be determined.”

During camp, Alabama’s first-team secondary has consisted of Diggs and JUCO transfer Saivion Smith at the cornerback positions with Thompson and McKinney at the two safety spots and Shyheim Carter at Star. When the Crimson Tide moved into its dime package, McKinney slid down to the Money role and was replaced by Jared Mayden at safety.

TWO QUESTIONS WE’RE ASKING

How will the quarterback battle play out?

Alabama has yet to name a starter at quarterback, and it’s unclear whether or not Saban will announce a starter before 7 p.m. CT Saturday when Alabama kicks off against Louisville. During an interview last week with ESPN, Saban said Hurts and Tagovailoa were "playing pretty well, so we'll just keep going and see if anybody separates.” Both quarterbacks had strong moments during scrimmages and split first-team reps during camp.

Saban stated he doesn’t expect the decision to be easy, and for good reason. Hurts is 26-2 as a starter and has led Alabama to two straight national championship appearances. However, the offense seemed to click more under Tagovailoa during last season’s national championship game as he led a second-half comeback over Georgia.

No matter who starts Saturday, it’s likely both quarterbacks will see time against Louisville. Alabama took a similar approach during its 2016 season-opener as Hurts ultimately came away with the starting role after a solid performance against Southern California.

Saban alluded to the fact that Alabama might need to lean on its offense more this season, meaning whoever is behind center will need to be able to move the ball, especially early on as the Crimson Tide’s defense finds its footing.

"That plays a factor, too, because we may have to score more points to win this season than we have in the past," Saban told ESPN. “It all fits together.”

What’s Alabama’s biggest area of concern?

A lot has been said about Alabama’s inexperience in the secondary. However, that’s not the only place the Crimson Tide will need new players to step in.

Along with replacing its top six defensive backs, Alabama will likely start the season with two new faces on the right side of its offensive line. Both Wills and Leatherwood showed plenty of promise during their freshman seasons but lack much first-team experience. Wills earned his first start against Ole Miss, while Leatherwood’s biggest moment came during the second half of the national championship when he filled in at left tackle for injured Williams. Alabama began its preseason camp with Wills at right guard and Leatherwood at right tackle where the two played this spring but has since flipped the two sophomores in recent weeks.

Another area of uncertainty comes at the depth of the linebacker position. Last year, Alabama saw seven linebackers miss at least one game due to injury. This offseason, the Crimson Tide already lost outside linebackers Terrell Lewis and Christopher Allen to what appear to be season-ending injuries. Meanwhile, the depth inside was also hit as Keith Holcombe left the team to focus on his baseball career while VanDarius Cowan was dismissed for violating team rules.

PREDICTION

Alabama puts together its first undefeated season since 2009

File this in the way-too-early category, but as they say, fortune favors the bold. While it’s premature to heap a ton of praise on a team that has yet to step on the field, things seem to be set up nicely for Alabama.

The Crimson Tide’s high-flying offense seems well suited to get it through the first part of its season where it could encounter a couple of shootouts. Alabama doesn’t reach the meat of its schedule until early November, which should give its defense plenty of time to get over some early growing pains.

Unlike last season, the majority of Alabama’s tests will come inside of Bryant-Denny Stadium. The Crimson Tide will have to make the always-challenging trip down to Baton Rouge, La. to face LSU but will host Texas A&M, Mississippi State and Auburn.

On a related note: On Saturday's edition of GameDay Corso mentioned he didn't pick Bama to win the title because they haven't won back to back in seven years.

What I think he meant? The odds against a team winning back-to-back are so small that going with the odds against is a good move.

What I heard him say? Has nothing to do with what I thought he meant.

Through all the fluff and stuff, we have endured this offseason, I for one, hope that our offense starts this game focused, with a real understanding of how we are going to attack teams this year. With Lousiville, there is no doubt that we need to lean on their defensive front seven all night and put together some time-consuming drives. They lost a lot beside Jackson over there. When they cheat up, then we smoke them long.

They lost a lot beside Jackson over there.
On defense, they have lost a lot. It's one of the reasons I look at the hype behind VG as misplaced.

BUT, they only lost a few on offense and even though that includes Jackson, Pass is more of the type of quarterback that does well in Petrino's offense. While I don't see UL making the run UT did in '98 I do see a lot of similarities between their transition of Jackson to Pass and UT's Manning to Martin transition.

On defense, they have lost a lot. It's one of the reasons I look at the hype behind VG as misplaced.

BUT, they only lost a few on offense and even though that includes Jackson, Pass is more of the type of quarterback that does well in Petrino's offense. While I don't see UL making the run UT did in '98 I do see a lot of similarities between their transition of Jackson to Pass and UT's Manning to Martin transition.

Not to pick on the great Manning, but he was blessed with a running game that was never fully utilized for ball control. His senior year he was throwing for 36 TDs and almost 4000 yards. Tee Martin throws for 19 TDs and a little over 2100 yards. They were undefeated that year. When is less more?

In Louisville's case, I don't see Petrino going back to those fundamentals of a ball control and field position game. But less could still be more.

Last edited:
In Louisville's case, I don't see Petrino going back to those fundamentals of a ball control and field position game. But less could still be more.
We're not on the same page.

Since Petrino took a HC job he's never been about ball control and field position. It's his model/version of the 'air raid" attack.

Jackson was an anomaly for Petrino. He's had mobile QB's but never one to the degree of Jackson.

My point is having Pass as his starting quarterback brings his offense fully back around to the style he's more comfortable coaching. It's more of a Petrino/Arkansas type attack. Pass, despite being the Heisman winner, is more suited to Petrino's prototypical QB.

While Martin fit UT's offensive style, Pass fits Petrino's style better than Jackson. (Albeit, I'm seeing about the same results in the W/L columns.)

Back
Top Bottom