| FTBL Thoughts on the Game

BamaMD

Good morning, I hope everyone is doing well. So I just watched the game and noticed a few things. Overall, a good win but it was against a grossly overmatched opponent. Here are a few observations and thoughts. Roll Tide!

1. George at RT is the real deal. He's learning how to play at game speed and his physicality shows.

2. With the injury to Earle, it is time for several receivers to step up. I was impressed with Baker, Hall and Leary today. I've been waiting for Baker to shine. The guy is a mismatch against most DBs. He reminds me a lot of Jerry Jeudy. Leary is fast and it showed at RB today. He is a home run waiting to happen and it would be interesting to see him on kick return. Reminds me more of Waddle than Earle.

3. The offensive line played well. Hopefully we will see Neal, Brown or Kight, Dalcourt, Ekiyor and George going forward. Cohen is somewhat weak at the point of attack, so I'm not sure how useful he will be with a broken wrist going forward.

4. Whats the deal with the Brockermeyer twins? It was mentioned that neither was on the sideline for the game. Transfer Portal?

5. Do we not have a better punter? It was mentioned previously that we are 128th in punt average out of 130 teams in college football! Thats just bad.

6. How many of you guys got excited watching Jalen Milroe at QB? I would love to see him incorporated into the game plan. Just wow!

7. Has Drew Sanders lost his spot? If he's healthy enough to play, then why isn't he starting?

8. Tim Smith is definitely elevating his play.

9. Story looked good at safety. I can't wait to see Terrion Arnold get his opportunity.

10. BoB called a decent game but I'm always curious why coordinators don't incorporate plays that have worked previously at BAMA? Kiffin and Sark were brilliant at identifying and creating mismatches. Other than a few dedicated plays for Jameson Williams, we really haven't seen much of that.

11. The real test starts next week against Arkansas. We will see if this team is finally coming together or if it was just being overall better than a 1-8 team.

11. The real test starts next week against Arkansas. We will see if this team is finally coming together or if it was just being overall better than a 1-8 team.
Not sure about a real test heck we have already had several of those and failed in one and passed the other two barely. It would be great to get some momentum in the next 2 games if that is even possible. The D has steadily improved. The offense regressed especially in the LSWho game and losing another RB will not help that cause. Big time red flags when you are in the 10th game of the year still trying to figure out your OL and identity. One thing I have learned since CNS came to T-Town is to never underestimate him so lets see how it goes. Next up go beat the piggies ...

Not sure about a real test heck we have already had several of those and failed in one and passed the other two barely. It would be great to get some momentum in the next 2 games if that is even possible. The D has steadily improved. The offense regressed especially in the LSWho game and losing another RB will not help that cause. Big time red flags when you are in the 10th game of the year still trying to figure out your OL and identity. One thing I have learned since CNS came to T-Town is to never underestimate him so lets see how it goes. Next up go beat the piggies ...

I truly believe Delcourt's injury was the primary reason we sputtered out vs LSU. And LSU's front 7 is pretty good too. After watching the NMS game, we got a lot of different OL playing time. And these next two weeks are really putting the pressure on our OL to get it figured out. Guys are stepping up & this is exactly what we needed IMHO in order to prepare for Jawja's front 7. Something about this mashup is going to force all the guys to get better every day at practice because of the injuries of the last 2 weeks. This can only help. I think we can manage through AR & AU, so these next three weeks are going to be vital to them coming along. Should be real interesting.

Good morning, I hope everyone is doing well. So I just watched the game and noticed a few things. Overall, a good win but it was against a grossly overmatched opponent. Here are a few observations and thoughts. Roll Tide!

1. George at RT is the real deal. He's learning how to play at game speed and his physicality shows.

2. With the injury to Earle, it is time for several receivers to step up. I was impressed with Baker, Hall and Leary today. I've been waiting for Baker to shine. The guy is a mismatch against most DBs. He reminds me a lot of Jerry Jeudy. Leary is fast and it showed at RB today. He is a home run waiting to happen and it would be interesting to see him on kick return. Reminds me more of Waddle than Earle.

3. The offensive line played well. Hopefully we will see Neal, Brown or Kight, Dalcourt, Ekiyor and George going forward. Cohen is somewhat weak at the point of attack, so I'm not sure how useful he will be with a broken wrist going forward.

4. Whats the deal with the Brockermeyer twins? It was mentioned that neither was on the sideline for the game. Transfer Portal?

5. Do we not have a better punter? It was mentioned previously that we are 128th in punt average out of 130 teams in college football! Thats just bad.

6. How many of you guys got excited watching Jalen Milroe at QB? I would love to see him incorporated into the game plan. Just wow!

7. Has Drew Sanders lost his spot? If he's healthy enough to play, then why isn't he starting?

9. Story looked good at safety. I can't wait to see Terrion Arnold get his opportunity.

10. BoB called a decent game but I'm always curious why coordinators don't incorporate plays that have worked previously at BAMA? Kiffin and Sark were brilliant at identifying and creating mismatches. Other than a few dedicated plays for Jameson Williams, we really haven't seen much of that.

A few comments...

3. They played ok, but you have to take into account the opponent, which was terrible.

4. Illnesses.

5. Sadly, no.

6. Said a while back he was one of, if not the fastest on the team, and some scoffed at it. Just needs to continue to developing as a passer. O'Brien has given the Lamar Jackson comparison to some visiting evaluators.

7. Still not 100%, but Turner has played really well. Light is turning on for him. A good problem here.

10. I agree that O'Brien isn't as good with the play calling as Sark and Kiffin. He doesn't have as good a feel for it, and IMO, doesn't set things up nearly as well. But I'll also say in games like that, they are going to run certain things regardless, just to work on them.

11. Yep, playing for the division title, so they should be hungry. Will they be? Who knows. At this point, I don't see the issues of immaturity on the team being fixed until the off-season (or until some simply grow up).

Just a comment on comments

Obrian... Aint gotthe experienced and break away players those 2 had

No he doesn't and that should be taken into account. I'm not on the fire O'Brien train. I do think though, even if all things were equal, he's not at Sark's level of a coordinator and play caller. That isn't a knock on him, Sark was just that damn good. O'Brein is still plenty good enough to get Bama what it wants.

No he doesn't and that should be taken into account. I'm not on the fire O'Brien train. I do think though, even if all things were equal, he's not at Sark's level of a coordinator and play caller. That isn't a knock on him, Sark was just that damn good. O'Brein is still plenty good enough to get Bama what it wants.
I love Robinson but he is no Najee. Same with Williamson he is no Smitty. Heck those are two of the best at their position to play at Bama. Not a knock on anyone it is reality. My disappointment is still at the OL. It all starts there. As productive as the offense has been, think about what it could be if they could get the OL kinks worked out. Now they have to deal with RB issues with the latest injuries which will not help things.

I love Robinson but he is no Najee. Same with Williamson he is no Smitty. Heck those are two of the best at their position to play at Bama. Not a knock on anyone it is reality. My disappointment is still at the OL. It all starts there. As productive as the offense has been, think about what it could be if they could get the OL kinks worked out. Now they have to deal with RB issues with the latest injuries which will not help things.
Nailed it...oline just hasn’t performed....coaching or talent....
But ain’t getting it

1. You know what's funny? The Running lane opened up several time at right side. But anything between C and Guard, not much lane to open up. I think Its owens. As much we want a change on OL, I really doubt we'll see anything with two games left.

5. Complain all you want about Punting, but just because we at the bottom with rest of punting national wide, doesn't mean it's a bad thing. We only punted 30 times this year. 6 teams below alabama: Guess who: Ohio State, Oklahoma. Georgia is tied with Alabama with 30 tries on Punt. Georgia is #1, Alabama is #2, Ohio State #5 OU #12. So that is a good thing! The less we punt, the average is going to be low. Most of the punt has been short field. You have to look at the whole picture, not just the number. So I think our Punter has done solid # for the most part.

6. I doubt we'll see Milore much with 2 games left and then playoff. I'll say this, WE need Tyson to get some game reps in next two games...
7. Sanders- No he hasn't, but I would expect the situation to be same going forward, Turner starting and Sanders rotating in.. Both are very good.
10. BOB annoys the hell out of us with his playcalling, but I just hope He realizes that he can't keep depending on Screen passes to WR, its very annoying. It will not work against Georgia. Only thing I'm hoping is that he has creative plays based on same prediction in hsi bags and he doesn't want to pull them out just yet... I'm hoping we'll do few things that most team did against us: throw in new looks on Offense and Dfense to confuse Georgia.

11. We already had a real test: TAMU, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Florida... Those were the game that tested us...

I agree. I see O’Brien as more of a Daboll type of coordinator. More of a Pro football type.

Excellent points @BamaMD! The OL and DB's have been my issue all season. I realize we are young in the secondary but I do see improvement. The OL has been a problem most of the year being able to run the ball consistenly against decent opponents IMO. Pass blocking we are doing a decent job overall.

Although I do not see it happening, we could lose the next 3 games, they are no pushovers. We play a much improved Arky team and have to go to Auburn. It is important now, more than ever, for some of our players to step up and play bigger roles since we had 2 significant injuries in the NMS game. Finally, if we do win out, we go to the SEC Championship game against the best team in college football this year. I hate to say it, but I dont see anyone beating UGA if they play a decent game. They would have to have an "off game" for them to lose. Just my opinion.

Excellent points @BamaMD! The OL and DB's have been my issue all season. I realize we are young in the secondary but I do see improvement. The OL has been a problem most of the year being able to run the ball consistenly against decent opponents IMO. Pass blocking we are doing a decent job overall.

Although I do not see it happening, we could lose the next 3 games, they are no pushovers. We play a much improved Arky team and have to go to Auburn. It is important now, more than ever, for some of our players to step up and play bigger roles since we had 2 significant injuries in the NMS game. Finally, if we do win out, we go to the SEC Championship game against the best team in college football this year. I hate to say it, but I dont see anyone beating UGA if they play a decent game. They would have to have an "off game" for them to lose. Just my opinion.
Why not a team beat uga....
I have watched some...great D....mediocre offense....

Tennessee gave em a run...some,..

They haven’t played a Bama...electric offense....mediocre D....

We will put points on em...like they havent seen...

@50+yeartidefan its just my opinion. I hope I am wrong. We will have to play 4 quarters of solid football and it memory serves me, we have not done that this year. UGA is running a controlled offense, so we will have to make them make mistakes. On defense, they are really good and we have not been able to run the ball consisently against a solid defense. Like I said, I hope I am wrong.

With regards to these points, watching the Viles and UGA game, there were plays to be made but the QB missed them. Overthrows resulted in interceptions. This is where UGA builds a lead and keeps it. Can't turn the ball over period. Old school bama played clean football and waited on the other team to make a mistake. This is what UGA is doing and doing well this year.

The romanticizing over Kiffin and Sarkisian is something to behold, and not based in reality.

Kiffin had some incredibly bad, putrid games calling and designing his offense in 2014. Go back and look at the box scores. He is a streaky playcaller. There were some absolute turds. Sarkisian couldn't manage a single first down for about 25 minutes of the 2nd half vs. Clemson, giving away a national title. Sark is having a hard time this year without 6 first round NFL draft picks. Even with the best RB in college football.

The romanticizing over Kiffin and Sarkisian is something to behold, and not based in reality.

Kiffin had some incredibly bad, putrid games calling and designing his offense in 2014. Go back and look at the box scores. He is a streaky playcaller. There were some absolute turds. Sarkisian couldn't manage a single first down for about 25 minutes of the 2nd half vs. Clemson, giving away a national title. Sark is having a hard time this year without 6 first round NFL draft picks. Even with the best RB in college football.
Be careful you are using logic and reality here :). Great players and line play make ALL OC's look good.

Excellent points @BamaMD! The OL and DB's have been my issue all season. I realize we are young in the secondary but I do see improvement.

Every one of these guys outside of Armor-Davis played last year, and a couple more of them have played the last two years. I consider that a veteran unit. In my mind they don't get the excuses of being young because they have more game experience than any other position on this team. Even Armor-Davis has been in the program four years. Kool-Aid is the only guy that has an excuse, but he is playing well and doesn't need one yet. I personally feel like Battle and Moore need to switch positions. Battle is a thumper and likes to hit, so put him closer to the line of scrimmage. Moore likes to run, so let him play safety and patrol the back end. Jobe looked good with Surtain on the other side, but both him and Armor-Davis have not performed to that level this season in my eyes. The offensive line is frustrating, but to me the defensive backfield is the more frustrating part because of the experience they all have. The line is brand new this year, atleast.

All this analysis is awesome, but in my opinion, we have issues with leaders, getting them over this so called drought, is somebody leading in each phase of the game. Tell me who they are on this team? 2020 team Patrick Surtain for the dbs, Dylan Moses Lbs, Leatherwood, OL, Jones QB, Najee Harris rbs, and I can go on. Leaders are needed. Accountability, from the players also. Bryce is a great QB, he needs to step it up on Leadership, he seems soft spoken and calm which is fine, but needs to light a fire in the O line.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom