• Demeco Ryans

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E.J. Junior

• other (write in)

• Total voters
No!!!!! No no no no!!!!

My bad Randy!!! I knew I was missing someone. I had him in the first one a few minutes ago but I lost it and had to creat another one. My bad. I'll add him right now.

WHat about the dude that just got attempted murder for giving somebody aids. What was his name? and why isnt he on the list? Talk about a head hunter :shock:

porkchop said:
No!!!!! No no no no!!!!

My bad Randy!!! I knew I was missing someone. I had him in the first one a few minutes ago but I lost it and had to creat another one. My bad. I'll add him right now.

Being the smart-a that I am, I b*tched about EJ not being there, then voted for LeRoy. :lol:

Also, one guy who always seems to get overshadowed by other linebackers in Wayne Davis. He has been Bama’s all-time leading tackler since 1986. I think he is often forgotten because he was never a flashy sack or tackle for loss guy, just a great run stopper. I’ll always remember him because his dad used to be really good friends with my father. He even got me Wayne’s autograph one time.

Yeah Wayne was a solid ball player but I wasn't sure if I should add him to the list? I think for most people he just doesn't stand out, even though he is still our all-time leading tackler. Like you said, he tends to get overshadowed.

My uncle used to call games for Gordo HS and he used to talk about Wayne and what an amazing player he was. On a side note, he told me on a number of occasions that the best HS player he ever had the chance to see in person was actually Lamond Russell when he was at Onteona HS. Apparently Gordo beat them one year in the finals (I believe in 85) and my uncle had said a number of times that Russell was just the most versatile player he'd seen in HS. He said that Oneonta would line him up at QB, TB, WR and TE and the kid could do it all. Luckily for Gordo Onteona had him playing WR that game and he wasn't much of a factor. My uncle still says plainly that if Russell had QB'd that game they would have beaten Gordo for the state title.

For a guy that played TE for much of his career at BAMA Russell was quite an amazing HS player from what I hear.

Thomas Boyd was an excellent linebacker. Technically, E.J. Junior was a defensive end. Had Saleem Rasheed not left early, he would have needed less than 50 tackles his senior year to set the record (he had 115 his junior year).

Had they kept statistics on Lee Roy Jordan, he might be the career leader, with 31 in one game. As far has having an impact on the field, being a sure tackler and always giving maximum effort, it's hard to beat Lee Roy or Demeco. Demeco will probably join Lee Roy and Biscuit in the College Hall of Fame. Why Lee Roy's not in the Pro HOF is puzzling.

I vote Lee Roy.

RTR,

Tim

I just remember when Bennett left, a lot of people thought he had redefined the position -- and at the time, he probably had. Then Derrick Thomas came along shortly afterward and REALLY redefined the position -- speed, strength, agility, intelligence -- I've never seen anyone wearing crimson -- before or since -- that had such a perfect combination of these attributes.

Thomas in a landslide, IMHO.

reger60 said:
I just remember when Bennett left, a lot of people thought he had redefined the position -- and at the time, he probably had. Then Derrick Thomas came along shortly afterward and REALLY redefined the position -- speed, strength, agility, intelligence -- I've never seen anyone wearing crimson -- before or since -- that had such a perfect combination of these attributes.

Thomas in a landslide, IMHO.

Thomas was certainly a special player and an elite among Tiders, but I see him as more of a rush end than a true linebacker. His sack numbers were incredible, and he was a game-changer in that front, but his career tackles are well behind many other defensive players. I view a linebacker from a dependability and production standpoint. With that bias, I guess that means I tend to place greater value on the middle LB position.

RTR,

Tim

It Takes Eleven said:
Thomas was certainly a special player and an elite among Tiders, but I see him as more of a rush end than a true linebacker. His sack numbers were incredible, and he was a game-changer in that front, but his career tackles are well behind many other defensive players.

So in a way, Tim, you would agree that DT possibly redefined the position? :wink:

Seriously, I understand what you're saying, but I prefer to evaluate linebackers not on their individual numbers, but rather focus on the impact that their presence had on the opposing offense. I think DT's mere presence on the field dramatically changed the way opponents approached offense. While that may not show up in tackles, it certainly -- and eventually -- shows up in the win column.

I'm actually going to go with Demeco here. Now hear me out on this one...

By the end of his career in the NFL, he could very well be known as the greatest 'Bama Linebacker ever.

That's a very different way of looking at it. Some of you go by production and overall ability. I'm going by who will be the most well known LB in Alabama's history. It could very well end up being Demeco Ryans. :wink:

Tider 27 said:

By the end of his career in the NFL, he could very well be known as the greatest 'Bama Linebacker ever.

That's a very different way of looking at it. Some of you go by production and overall ability. I'm going by who will be the most well known LB in Alabama's history. It could very well end up being Demeco Ryans. :wink:

You really could make a legitimate arguement for Demeco. There's no denying that he was a true impact player for the Tide. I just don't know that he was as DOMINANT as some of the other names on the list.

RTR

reger60 said:
Tider 27 said:

You really could make a legitimate arguement for Demeco. There's no denying that he was a true impact player for the Tide. I just don't know that he was as DOMINANT as some of the other names on the list.

RTR

His sure tackling helped him control the line of scrimmage and have more tackles for loss than any other LB. For a player who was not used to blitz that much, that's pretty impressive.

It Takes Eleven said:
reger60 said:
Tider 27 said:

You really could make a legitimate argument for Demeco. There's no denying that he was a true impact player for the Tide. I just don't know that he was as DOMINANT as some of the other names on the list.

RTR

His sure tackling helped him control the line of scrimmage and have more tackles for loss than any other LB. For a player who was not used to blitz that much, that's pretty impressive.

That's true Reger, there were more deserving LB's who dominated and did more then Demeco accomplished in his career in Tuscaloosa. However, I went with Demeco because he personified what Athletics and Academics meant at a University. Also, again the simple fact of his name will end up being larger then any other 'Bama linebacker in history, IMO.

He may of been here at a unfortunate era also, but he was a excellent athlete and scholar. That deserves being mentioned over and over again in his case.

Interesting point also Eleven. That's very true and well worth mentioning.

Tider 27 said:
It Takes Eleven said:
reger60 said:
Tider 27 said:

You really could make a legitimate argument for Demeco. There's no denying that he was a true impact player for the Tide. I just don't know that he was as DOMINANT as some of the other names on the list.

RTR

That's true Reger, there were more deserving LB's who dominated and did more then Demeco accomplished in his career in Tuscaloosa. However, I went with Demeco because he personified what Athletics and Academics meant at a University. Also, again the simple fact of his name will end up being larger then any other 'Bama linebacker in history, IMO.

He may of been here at a unfortunate era also, but he was a excellent athlete and scholar. That deserves being mentioned over and over again in his case.

Interesting point also Eleven. That's very true and well worth mentioning.

One thing is for sure, we've had some good ones. Here's to hoping that Saban can find us a few more.

ROLL TIDE!

Back
Top Bottom