| FTBL The Georgia game in a nutshell

bamatommy

1)Bama couldn't stop Georgia's rushing game

2)Bama couldn't stop Georgia's passing game

3)Bama's passing game never got off the ground (mainly because of a poor passing night by the qb)

We knew going into the season that we were vulnerable on our front seven, and Georgia and Arkanasas have exploited that weakness.

Nate said:
we held UGA to 2 touchdowns.. and 2 feild goals during regular game play... yeah our defense did terrible :roll:

I think he probably meant we couldn't keep them off the field. Their position time was a key in their success.

Part of that goes back to the ineffeciency of our offense as well. Our 3rd down conversion rate (3 of 15 :shock: ) was a main part of that demise.

BamaDelta said:
Nate said:
we held UGA to 2 touchdowns.. and 2 feild goals during regular game play... yeah our defense did terrible :roll:

I think he probably meant we couldn't keep them off the field. Their position time was a key in their success.

Part of that goes back to the ineffeciency of our offense as well. Our 3rd down conversion rate (3 of 15 :shock: ) was a main part of that demise.

yes but our defense did a great job in my book considering they spent 3.5 quarters on the field. Sure it could have been better.. but it could have been A LOT WORSE!! I give props to our defense for stepping up when they did. JPW was teh problem in the UGA game.. plain and simple. I think he is an amazing QB.. probably one of the best... but for whatever reason he has been off, not planting his feet, and not checking all his receivers. but he is pretty spot on with the 2 minute offense. I jsut don't get him... something is going on inhis head and it needs to get figured out.

Yes, the D played well considering....but look at the time of possession, Georgia dominated early. I was shocked that with 3 Freshmen on their O'line, we could not get to their QB. It was 3 Freshmen wasn't it? Looks like we are going to be hard pressed to win a game if JPW is not playing well. Their passing was not much better than ours (stat wise) and rushing was pretty even also, we just could not make the plays when we needed to.

bamascw said:
Yes, the D played well considering....but look at the time of possession, Georgia dominated early. I was shocked that with 3 Freshmen on their O'line, we could not get to their QB. It was 3 Freshmen wasn't it? Looks like we are going to be hard pressed to win a game if JPW is not playing well. Their passing was not much better than ours (stat wise) and rushing was pretty even also, we just could not make the plays when we needed to.
I was definatly disappointed that we couldn't get any pressure on Stafford... but all in all considering our defense is very well conditioned. And with more depth, and less injury we will be in a great position

I was so impressed with Sabans press conference. He is able to pinpoint the exact difficulties. I have full confidence of his ability.

3rd and long cuts your play choices in half. You can't put it all on JPW but his throwing accuracy is awful. No doubt his receivers can make him look good if he gets close with the pass. But he continually underthrows wide open guys and over shoots crossing patterns.

I think he overstrides and is too nervous. Just my observation though.

Oue Defense just doesnt have the horses right now and quite frankly they just arent very good. :(

Give Saban 2 years and you see will light years improvement on that side of the ball. I said at the beginning the year it will take 28 points for us to win a real game and I still believe it. :?

The defense has 2 maybe 3 players that are of SEC caliber. (one of these being a true freshman)

I tend to agree that we just don't have the talent yet, BUT I could tell that T-town just had a "different" feeling Sat. night. I'm not one who believes in "moral" victories, but the first step to re-establishing us in the football world is the support of our team. THAT PLACE WAS ROCKING SATURDAY NIGHT! When our defense was on the field, there is NO WAY the Ga qb could hear himself think. This went on the entire game! Not just when things were going our way. Point is that you can feel it in the air in Tuscaloosa. The players actually believe (for a change), and the fans do too.
By the way, did anyone notice the recruits walking around the field during the game? I saw our future QB in there, as well as some STUD linemen and receivers. Give it another year, as we just don't have the players yet. BUT IT'S COMING!

I give our guys a lot of credit for fighting as hard as they did. Most of us would agree that if last year's staff were still in place there would have been no fourth quarter comeback.

I keep thinking back to what LeRoy Jordan said a couple of years ago about what he sawe after observing a Bama spring practice. His comment was that he saw a whole lot of average football players. With a late start on his first recruitiong class, Coach NS certainly has not had time to change this aspect. So what we have seen so far this year is a team with mostly average football players fighting their hearts out against some tough opponents and going into the fourth quarter believing that they had a chance to win. Georgia is a good football team, and we hung with them all the way. We just couldn't quite get over the top. If you compare our team with Georgia's position group by position group, I think we would only be considered better at the receiver positions.

I think that we will continue to get better, but lacking depth and without a lot of top drawer talent we have to be on our game every week. I've been saying 9-3 all along, but there are several teams still on the scheule that we could lose to, (FSU, UT, Auburn) as well as LSU, whom most of us expect to lose to. In addition, if we decide to "mail it in" we could have unhappy outcomes versus Houston, Ole Miss and Miss State. Of course with the new staff, we certainly hope that there won't be any mail ins.

But he continually underthrows wide open guys and over shoots crossing patterns.

I think he overstrides and is too nervous. Just my observation though.[/quote]

He has overthrown into the endzone several times over the last 3 games, not to mention the overthrows from the past game. But overall, I'm still happy with our progression at this point, it's just frustrating sometimes but I know they are playing hard and Saban won't let anyone play that doesn't have the desire to win.

According to CNS, he was concerned of the slow start of the team. Maybe if they start off in the 2 minute offense they'll be able to sustain intensity.

Bamatilldeath said:
I was so impressed with Sabans press conference. He is able to pinpoint the exact difficulties. I have full confidence of his ability.

3rd and long cuts your play choices in half. You can't put it all on JPW but his throwing accuracy is awful. No doubt his receivers can make him look good if he gets close with the pass. But he continually underthrows wide open guys and over shoots crossing patterns.

I think he overstrides and is too nervous. Just my observation though.

I've seen differences in his footwork this year as well. FWIW, understrides lead to the ball being floated most of the time (as in his stance is shorter than it should be) and overstrides tend to have the opposite affect.

I stand corrected TerryP about the overstride thing...none the less, he is missing a lot. Acoording to Sabans Presser, "He just needs to relax"

Bamatilldeath said:
You can't put it all on JPW but his throwing accuracy is awful. No doubt his receivers can make him look good if he gets close with the pass. But he continually underthrows wide open guys and over shoots crossing patterns.

damn, thank you for expressing your observations. i was beginning to think i was the only one who felt this way.

i'll add two small details though: if he isn't too high on his crossing patters he is behind the receiver. and on his deep balls he hangs the ball up entirely too long giving DBs too much time to make a play.

Back
Top Bottom