| FTBL The first thing I thought about after the failed fake FG

I thought it was a bad call but if it had worked we'd be calling him a genius. Either way, it's not my place to question too much, if I knew as much as Saban about football I'd be making millions.

BarnBurner said:
I thought it was a bad call but if it had worked we'd be calling him a genius. Either way, it's not my place to question too much, if I knew as much as Saban about football I'd be making millions.

Hey, that's what LSU folks had been calling Less after his Florida calls and his trickey-wickey against Spurrier. Or should I rephrase that? That's what LSU folks WERE calling Less until today.

My LSU brother-in-law is ready to put the man on the chopping block for running Hester into the ground that last series to the point he wasn't around to convert on the final 4th and 2 attempt.

Then to hear Less in his postgame say that he was surprised that Kentucky could move the ball against them like that really takes the cake. I guess Less doesn't watch game film with the rest of the staff or somebody must have slipped them Kentucky film from last season. Oh well.

Tebow threw on them, why the hell did Less think Woodson couldn't?

If one team was ever set up for the NC it was this LSU team with the title game being played in New Orleans. Less always finds at least one game a season to lose. It was just a matter of time.

Dang, I sure hope CLM doesn't run off to Meeechigan.

Well it could of been more inventive. I noticed that he was talking to Tiffin before he went out onto the field and mention to my dad about a fake. Sure enough he called for it and it looked to be a option with Tiffin being the option to pitch.

The first thing I thought of was a thread that was posted a couple of weeks ago about: "Why don't we run some trick plays?" :lol:

Seriously, looking at it on replay if he had cut to his right, he probably would have picked up the first down. Of course, he also would have gotten leveled, but he would have got the first down. :D

Wiseace615 said:
The first thing I thought of was a thread that was posted a couple of weeks ago about: "Why don't we run some trick plays?" :lol:

Seriously, looking at it on replay if he had cut to his right, he probably would have picked up the first down. Of course, he also would have gotten leveled, but he would have got the first down. :D

Comes down to execution again. Horribly missed block on the attempt.

TerryP said:
Wiseace615 said:

I agree. That was kind of my thinking, with the trick play conversation before. If we're having execution issues on basic plays, we're probably going to have them if we get tricky. Still, special teams has done much better this year IMO, and I don't dissagree with the call.

I don't mind the call myself. You have hit the nail on the head with the execution comments. We aren't doing it on basic plays.

Sadly, the offense is becoming predictable to me. But, I have to confess, I do obsess with watching games over and over again. Hell, I've already watched this one 3X.

One thing that has improved is JP's snap count. I noticed numerous times he had OM d-line jumping, However he doesn't take advantage of the penalty and throw deep.

I liked the call, a TD was a guaranteed win. The way Miss was playing and the time left they could have easily won with a td vs. our field goal. It would have put them ahead 1 point with virtually no time left. I thought it was a very smart call. Of course if bama got a TD out of it everyone would be calling it the play of the night.

850 ...i agree with you. At first i questioned the call but after thinking for a minute i came up with the same thing. Ole Miss would play different down 6 to just down 3. I think it was the "right call".

TerryP said:
I don't mind the call myself. You have hit the nail on the head with the execution comments. We aren't doing it on basic plays.

Sadly, the offense is becoming predictable to me. But, I have to confess, I do obsess with watching games over and over again. Hell, I've already watched this one 3X.

I actually thought the play calling was better yesterday than in past weeks. A play here or there would have made a big difference. Ex: if Caddell catches that easy ball early, that drive would had led to a score. As for the defense, I said before the year that we would have to win some games in shootout fashion. 5-2 is 5-2, take the win and enjoy it.

RTR

TerryP said:
reger60 said:
TerryP said:

"Horribly missed blocks" were pretty common yesterday.

I've backed away from the keyboard more than a dozen times since the game. Don't get me started...

Terry and Jeff, I agree wholeheartedly with y'all on this one. What really concerns me is that some of these breakdowns were made by veterans, and did not seem so much to be attributed to "lack of talent" as it was knowing one's assignment.

From this average fan's perspective, yesterday's lack of execution on the line seemed to have to do more with not knowing who to block or with hesitating before executing than it did about being physically out-manned.

I also understand that linemen are sometimes shuffled into more than one position or into positions that they normally don't play, but I was really surprised at how unprepared a couple of individuals looked yesterday.

Not trying to be critical here, gang. but simply giving an observation

I thought JPW looked good yesterday because earlier in the year especially against Georgia he looked off from the start and you could tell it by the look on his face before the game started.

Playcalling was goood except maybe playaction in redzone and throwing the ball 40 times is too much around 30 would have been great.

with all thats going around the country a win is big.

Wiseace615 said:

I noticed the EXACT same thing. if he had just cut a little bit more right he would have gotten the first down and then some.. but at least we tried for it.

Go4Bama said:
One thing that has improved is JP's snap count. I noticed numerous times he had OM d-line jumping, However he doesn't take advantage of the penalty and throw deep.

Well to be fair...he got Houston ALOT with his snap count so I am not sure if improvement is the word I would have chosen. He was already very good at it. His hard count has been really good this year.

Re: the fake FG

The only thing I didn't like was that it really WASN'T a surprise. If there was EVER a time to fake the FG, that was it. Since they ran the play directly toward my seats, I can tell you that the play was designed perfectly for the defensive alignment. ONE GUY missed his block... of course, that's the risk.

In the end, what did it really hurt? Assuming we MAKE the FG (which from that hash mark WAS NOT a given), we kickoff to them, and they return out to the 35. That's 25 yards closer to the endzone than where we gave them the ball.

At the time, and even now with 20/20 hindsight, I thought the call was a good one.

bear facts said:
BarnBurner said:

Hey, that's what LSU folks had been calling Less after his Florida calls and his trickey-wickey against Spurrier. Or should I rephrase that? That's what LSU folks WERE calling Less until today.

My LSU brother-in-law is ready to put the man on the chopping block for running Hester into the ground that last series to the point he wasn't around to convert on the final 4th and 2 attempt.

Then to hear Less in his postgame say that he was surprised that Kentucky could move the ball against them like that really takes the cake. I guess Less doesn't watch game film with the rest of the staff or somebody must have slipped them Kentucky film from last season. Oh well.

Tebow threw on them, why the hell did Less think Woodson couldn't?

If one team was ever set up for the NC it was this LSU team with the title game being played in New Orleans. Less always finds at least one game a season to lose. It was just a matter of time.

Dang, I sure hope CLM doesn't run off to Meeechigan.
As a guy (Lapides) on the radio here said early in the season , you can always count on LSU to lose at least one. They haven't gone undefeated since 1958.

Back
Top Bottom