| FTBL The Defense laid an egg on this one...

Overall, I'm not gonna argue or disagree with you on the WR sentiment. However Bryce has to help them out as well. That slant to Metchie would have been a huge gain, if not 7 had he not thrown it behind him. There have been a few instances over the past 3 games where he has overthrown open receivers. I know that will come with time and that BY is young, but it is not all on the receivers, IMO.

I agree with all of this. You're exactly right about Georgia. They look more WAY more comfortable than our guys do in their defense and run/pass coverage. I have zero clue what has happened to the back half of our defense. We have the athletes, but just aren't where they need to be. I seriously feel it's the play calls.

As far as receivers, you are voicing my thoughts exactly as well. Metchie is playing well, but for some reason he looks disinterested to me. Almost like he doesn't want to be the #1, or like he didn't learn under DaVonta what it would be like to hold that torch. Hall definitely needs to get thrown in there because Bolden is showing he is good for one or two plays a game and then you don't hear his name. Earle is learning and I'm happy with him. Jameson Williams is the only reason we are a threat in the air if you ask me at this point. Throw the freshmen in there and see what they can do. Maybe light a fire under some others.

JoJo has to play more. Slade is only good on the perimeter for the quick screens/quick game.

Give Agiye, Traeshon Holden, and maybe Jacorey Brooks a chance. You have to have some big/tall WRs in football these days to catch 50/50 balls. If you give Bryce guys who will go get the ball, he will be virtually unstoppable. He has done remarkably well without anyone really helping him out in terms of WRs.

Also working more to Latu and Billingsley would be good - both can be elite players.

JoJo has to play more. Slade is only good on the perimeter for the quick screens/quick game.

Give Agiye, Traeshon Holden, and maybe Jacorey Brooks a chance. You have to have some big/tall WRs in football these days to catch 50/50 balls. If you give Bryce guys who will go get the ball, he will be virtually unstoppable. He has done remarkably well without anyone really helping him out in terms of WRs.

Also working more to Latu and Billingsley would be good - both can be elite players.

Yep, I like the idea of that as well. I did think we would throw more to Latu and Billingsly once things slow down run game wise for us, but it never happened. Both have shown to be reliable, so not sure why we never dumped off to either of them or hit them on a button route or something like that over the middle. Holden is a solid built dude and looks great in pads. Not sure why we haven't thrown to him more, or trotted him out there more. We have the options, but I feel Slade is wasting a spot for opportunity at the moment. He hasn't done anything wrong in my mind, but he just isn't making the splash we need at the moment. I'd rather see a Freshman getting the opportunity to drop that pass in the endzone, looking back of course (hindsight is 20/20).

I just don't know where the pass D went in the last 6-7 years.

There was a CRUCIAL 3rd and 18, and Florida hit a pass to a wide open slot WR for 17 yards, allowing them to go for it on 4th and 1. The D had giant holes in the zone and receivers free releasing. Henry T didn't carry any WR vertically through the zone like is done on C2.
There was a blitz on that play. I cannot fathom why

There was a blitz on that play. I cannot fathom why

There was? I honestly don't recall. It was a huge turning point. I'd like to break down that play and get others' opinions.

2 other crucial plays that if they go the other way, Bama wins by 14+.

-Pass interference late in 2nd Q on Jobe on a terrible throw where Jobe didn't need to interfere
-3rd and 9 or so, Florida from 1 yard line. Slant pass, Hellams reacts like he is going to catch the ball and deviates from the path to simply hit the WR short of the first down by 2-3 yards. He ends up jumping for a catch while the WR snatches the pass and easily gets a first down. Florida eventually goes 99 for a TD.'

I agree with all of this. You're exactly right about Georgia. They look more WAY more comfortable than our guys do in their defense and run/pass coverage. I have zero clue what has happened to the back half of our defense. We have the athletes, but just aren't where they need to be. I seriously feel it's the play calls.

As far as receivers, you are voicing my thoughts exactly as well. Metchie is playing well, but for some reason he looks disinterested to me. Almost like he doesn't want to be the #1, or like he didn't learn under DaVonta what it would be like to hold that torch. Hall definitely needs to get thrown in there because Bolden is showing he is good for one or two plays a game and then you don't hear his name. Earle is learning and I'm happy with him. Jameson Williams is the only reason we are a threat in the air if you ask me at this point. Throw the freshmen in there and see what they can do. Maybe light a fire under some others.
No matter how hard Metchie tries he’s never going to be as good as the four first rounders who left the past two years were. He doesn’t have their hands, their route discipline or their moves in the open field. He certainly has more than adequate straight line speed but he’s not going to take many bubble screens for many first downs much less for many TD’s. In my opinion, Smith was a generational college player and Metchie and Williams aren’t. Bolden’s just a decent possession receiver in the slot … again nothing like Waddle … obviously Earle’s much closer to him. We all know those guys would have made Young look a whole lot better. Anyway, I’m with you … let’s see what the great crop of freshman receivers can do.

Back
Top Bottom