| FTBL The Defense laid an egg on this one...

Think about the talent we've had in recent years; Dalvin Tomlinson, Ashawn Robinson, Jarran Reed, Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne. All of those guys (except Tomlinson) were day one or high day two picks. I don't see Mathis, Dale, or Eboigbe getting drafted. And Ray is always injured and can't get on the field. What happened to our D line talent? These guys are all 4 and 5 stars. Why are they not developing? Was Bo Davis just that good, and we can't find anyone to replace him? Right now we have only one playmaker on defense and that's Anderson.

I like Drew Sanders but he blew it on several plays last night. Especially to the perimeter. He's young and hopefully will learn from his mistakes, but he has good speed and he tackles well. Braswell didn't see the field much I don't think.

What happened to the safeties? Hellams and Branch were supposed to be playmakers back there. They're getting beat most of the time, and tackling is a real issue. Can we get an APB on Malachi Moore? He's been a ghost all season. Last year he was coming up and making big plays at the LOS and in the passing game. Is he having a sophomore slump?

Nick Saban is the GOAT. Hands down, no arguments. But I don't for the life of me understand why he continues to go with Pete Golding. Maybe he thinks of him as a son. Maybe he sees potential in him. But I think it says a lot that his name is not on anyone's short list for coaching anywhere else. He's not even on anyone's long list. No one else wants him. So why does Bama?

Will Anderson can't do it all, unfortunately.

Great responses to issues presented (sarcasm).
There's nothing I see "presented" about the defense that we've not seen for 15 years. You're touching on it in the first post: a select group of players—where you've touched on one— can't get it done.

Think about it for a minute. We can go all the way back to 2008 and we'll find conversations asking, "Why are Fanney and Deadrick getting so many reps and we're not seeing them get a breather with the younger guys?" We're seeing that this season especially along the defensive line (where we were looking at as many as eight rotating coming out of fall camp.)

There are a few things I've never liked with Saban's philosophy. One of those, the way place kickers practice, I've been pretty vocal about. This is no different. It's something we've talked about and it's also something we don't see changing—at least I don't any time soon.

Defense didn’t inspire a lot of confidence yesterday.

Saban’s teams always get better as the year goes on. This certainly isn’t the finished product.

To’o To’o was underwhelming yesterday. Hopefully that’s just him still settling in…

Would somebody please call Jeremy Pruitt…

The defensive coordinator job is his when he's cleared (if he wants it, which I think he still does). I know he's enjoying the break in NFL, but last I heard that was far from his long-term plan. Makes a lot of sense for him to be back at UA, for both sides, which is why it's likely to happen.

There's nothing I see "presented" about the defense that we've not seen for 15 years. You're touching on it in the first post: a select group of players—where you've touched on one— can't get it done.

Think about it for a minute. We can go all the way back to 2008 and we'll find conversations asking, "Why are Fanny and Deadrick getting so many reps and we're not seeing them get a breather with the younger guys?" We're seeing that this season especially along the defensive line (where we were looking at as many as eight rotating coming out of fall camp.)

There are a few things I've never liked with Saban's philosophy. One of those, the way place kickers practice, I've been pretty vocal about. This is no different. It's something we've talked about and it's also something we don't see changing—at least I don't any time soon.
I threw this out a long time ago when the HUNH was gaining momentum... But using the 2's for a couple series' each half and letting the 1's get their steam back might be helpful come 4th quarter. Obviously it would never happen, but I would agree in terms of how surprising it is that CNS & Co. don't find ways to use the depth a little more in games like this.

I look at guys that were promising and have even seen the field, and see some potential to help get through a tough game and produce. Wynn is a guy that comes to mind on the inside... Dallas Turner we heard about on the outside, but not sure he played? Braswell got a few snaps.

Think about the talent we've had in recent years; Dalvin Tomlinson, Ashawn Robinson, Jarran Reed, Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne. All of those guys (except Tomlinson) were day one or high day two picks. I don't see Mathis, Dale, or Eboigbe getting drafted. And Ray is always injured and can't get on the field. What happened to our D line talent? These guys are all 4 and 5 stars. Why are they not developing? Was Bo Davis just that good, and we can't find anyone to replace him? Right now we have only one playmaker on defense and that's Anderson.

I like Drew Sanders but he blew it on several plays last night. Especially to the perimeter. He's young and hopefully will learn from his mistakes, but he has good speed and he tackles well. Braswell didn't see the field much I don't think.

What happened to the safeties? Hellams and Branch were supposed to be playmakers back there. They're getting beat most of the time, and tackling is a real issue. Can we get an APB on Malachi Moore? He's been a ghost all season. Last year he was coming up and making big plays at the LOS and in the passing game. Is he having a sophomore slump?

Nick Saban is the GOAT. Hands down, no arguments. But I don't for the life of me understand why he continues to go with Pete Golding. Maybe he thinks of him as a son. Maybe he sees potential in him. But I think it says a lot that his name is not on anyone's short list for coaching anywhere else. He's not even on anyone's long list. No one else wants him. So why does Bama?
I understand the sentiment, just think this might be a slight overreaction. On the safety side - I actually think Branch taking over full time at one of those safety spots might be a good idea.... The current 2 guys are both thumpers, but don't seem to be as natural in the open field... I think Branch may have better instincts. But TBH, he's on the field a ton anyway, so it's not the end all/be all.

On the DL - Mathis is absolutely getting drafted, and could even be a first 1 day guy. Eboigbe will get drafted as well. B. Young will get drafted and he's a really good player. I thought that group looked really good up until yesterday so I'm hoping this was just a 1-off, and giving Florida OL's some credit... Remember - They are 4 & 5 stars too.... Maybe not as many on the overall roster, but it ain't like they're playing walk ons! 😂

Same page, you and I. We've hit on it before.... It's his NFL mentality and 2 of the areas that he just hasn't allowed himself to evolve... yet. I say yet, because there is hope, I think? He's proven that he can and will evolve and adapt in numerous other areas (offense, defense, and special teams)... but he seems to do it little by little, piece by piece, season by season. His comments last night to the media made it clear that he knows it was (and is) an issue. But now, he just has to make that next step, which I think involves a lot of trust for someone like him, and make some changes in his philosophy.

He's proven that he can and will evolve and adapt in numerous other areas (offense, defense, and special teams)... but he seems to do it little by little, piece by piece, season by season.

His comments last night to the media made it clear that he knows it was (and is) an issue. But now, he just has to make that next step, which I think involves a lot of trust for someone like him, and make some changes in his philosophy.
Faith and its link to "evidence not seen." He can't? I'm not suggesting that. He won't? You nailed it, it's an off-season thing with him. Will we see an adjustment this season? I'd hope, but there's that faith arena again.

Faith and its link to "evidence not seen." He can't? I'm not suggesting that. He won't? You nailed it, it's an off-season thing with him. Will see see an adjustment this season? I'd hope, but there's that faith arena again.
Maybe I missed the point but your talking about place kickers and how they practice right? That is not one of the areas that see issues on the field right now.

Maybe I missed the point but your talking about place kickers and how they practice right? That is not one of the areas that see issues on the field right now.
He's six for seven with two of the "make's" sliding through beside the upright. He's not kicking as true this season as he was last season. He's had two different snappers but has the same holder this season (salve to an open wound.)

When they are practicing you'll find Tyson leading a group in drills, Young leading a group in drills. At the same time you'll find Reichard off to himself working on kickings without his holder, without his snapper, and only sparingly you'll find him working with the place kicking unit. Just out of those three guys the smallest of error leads to missed kicks.

"It's all about getting reps and getting the timing down" when it comes to the QB and WR's. It's not the case with the place kicking unit—despite the fact it most certainly is—because they're not getting reps together.

Alabama is fortunate to have a kicker like Reichard: they don't come along that often.

@Brandon Van de Graaff @TerryP
I honestly thought Kirby's subbing those gamut of players during the 2016 season would have solidified it for CNS. But that was not to be, clearly.

But let me ask, what Defensive positions is CNS not interesting at subbing? The play caller on defense, ala McClain, then Hightower, then Mosely, then DePriest, then Ragland, then Foster, then Wilson, then Moses, now To'o, To'o. Are we expecting those guys to be subbed? I presume that would be no.

However, from what I can see, there has been a significant decline with these guys. Most folks on this board now that I have been concerned about this Alpha-LB. We've missed him for some time. After 18 & 19's injuries at these positions, I expected to done with missing basic gaps, etc. But we are still dealing with it. Doesn't this fall on responsibility of the LB coach & D coordinator? Thoughts?

Last edited:
I honestly thought Kirby's subbing those gamut of players during the 2016 season would have solidified it for CNS. But that was not to be, clearly.

But let me ask, what Defensive positions is CNS not interesting at subbing? The play caller on defense, ala McClain, then Hightower, then Mosely, then DePriest, then Ragland, then Foster, then Wilson, then Moses, now To'o, To'o. Are we expecting those guys to be subbed? I presume that would be no.

However, from what I can see, there has been a significant decline with these guys. Most folks on this board now that I have been concerned about this Alpha-LB. We've missed him for some time. After 18 & 19's injuries at these positions, I expected to done with missing basic gaps, etc. But we are still dealing with it. Doesn't this fall on responsibility of the LB coach & D coordinator? Thoughts?

You guys keep saying we missed, but have we not realized the game has changed. Do we think McClain and Hightower are able to cover the pass like is necessary today? DePriest and Ragland certainly can't. Mosely was a freak and could. Even Mack Wilson had issues. It's a tough place to be these days. Are there any backers recently that have just been off the charts?

Personally, I think with the talent we have it would be ok to sub more, even at the middle LB spots. A series here and there can go a long way to giving a guy some extra gas in the tank come the 4th quarter (especially in a hot, humid game like yesterday). I think Mullen did a really good job yesterday of attacking the LB's and giving them a lot to deal with. Seemed obvious that their heads were spinning some. As for the coaching of the LB's... said a while back that a longer term plan when Roach was hired was for him to eventually move to middle LB's (his more natural coaching spot). That hasn't happened... yet... but I think it is still on the back burner depending on how things shake out. On Golding though, I think we all need to adjust our expectations slightly if we are comparing his abilities to Smart or Pruitt (not saying you are). It is natural to do so though, and isn't really fair to Golding. We were lucky to have 2 very elite defensive coordinators back to back... only so many of those diamonds out there.

We were lucky to have 2 very elite defensive coordinators back to back... only so many of those diamonds out there.

Could be what it all comes down to at this point. I tell you what though after runs up the middle & wide open TE's in the ILB space, I think at some point I would've just told the ILB to stand there.

In fairness to all, it really is just plain stupid for any of us (especially me) to think CNS hasn't seen all that we are observing.

And fundamentally, this defense was absolutely gassed after that first drive of the 3rd quarter. Getting the right calls can become irrelevant when your defense can't even process it right when they need a breather.

You guys keep saying we missed, but have we not realized the game has changed. Do we think McClain and Hightower are able to cover the pass like is necessary today? DePriest and Ragland certainly can't. Mosely was a freak and could. Even Mack Wilson had issues. It's a tough place to be these days. Are there any backers recently that have just been off the charts?

Nobody was running anything up the middle w/ McLain & Hightower. Ever. In the very least they were rarely ever out of position.

To me, the missing of assignments & poor tackling started w/ Wilson. He had all kinds of talent but man he never came across as any kind of leader & he missed. A lot.

Glad we weren’t playing Ole Miss today!
Ole miss is no uF. Their Dline and Oline are not near the same.

Will Ole Miss score, sure… but not sure they will have as much luck as last year. Our pass rush is pretty good… it’s the run front that seems to struggle, but uF has a pretty potent running attack.

I’m not sure OM can/will preform like uF did and I am expecting our offense scoring at least 2 more TDs. I’m thinking a 45 to 27 type score.

Nobody was running anything up the middle w/ McLain & Hightower. Ever. In the very least they were rarely ever out of position.

To me, the missing of assignments & poor tackling started w/ Wilson. He had all kinds of talent but man he never came across as any kind of leader & he missed. A lot.

My point is both of those guys weren't worried about pass coverage. Any linebacker can play down hill and side to side. Those two at their size ain't covering these days. It's the coverage aspect where we have trouble. It used to be 7 out of 10 were run plays, now it's 7 out if 10 are pass plays.

Back
Top Bottom