| FTBL The Defense laid an egg on this one...

Sorry Folks... 5 strait possessions by UF with scoring drives. That will not do it. You could tell they were flat out gassed after the first drive of the 3rd quarter.

Perhaps UF is a great running team but that was one of the worst defensive performances by our defense since Ole Miss last year. I think worse because the ability to stop the run was abysmal. Will Anderson can't do it all, unfortunately. Have we gotten too small at LB? Because To'o To'o is getting ran over & out of position several times. The last UF TD C Harris was happy to bump into a blocker because he was NOT going to pursue the RB. It is blowing my mind how we haven't been able to get our LBs fixed since R Foster.

I do have faith in CNS (especially how they team responded after Ole Miss last year) but for me Pete Golding is on the clock. I have held out for years now but not anymore.

Oh my... Folks on all Bama Forums are melting down left and right. I mean I knew it was going to happen given how Florida always do us like that... especially under Mullen. He finds a way to make the team frustrating. He did that at Miss State. I'm hoping the team will learn from this, and get better... if they don't.. we're in trouble against TAMU and LSU.

Sorry Folks... 5 strait possessions by UF with scoring drives. That will not do it. You could tell they were flat out gassed after the first drive of the 3rd quarter.

Perhaps UF is a great running team but that was one of the worst defensive performances by our defense since Ole Miss last year. I think worse because the ability to stop the run was abysmal. Will Anderson can't do it all, unfortunately. Have we gotten too small at LB? Because To'o To'o is getting ran over & out of position several times. The last UF TD C Harris was happy to bump into a blocker because he was NOT going to pursue the RB. It is blowing my mind how we haven't been able to get our LBs fixed since R Foster.

I do have faith in CNS (especially how they team responded after Ole Miss last year) but for me Pete Golding is on the clock. I have held out for years now but not anymore.
I agree with most if not all of your take. Who coaches inside LB'S? Who formulates the defensive game plan? Who calls defensive plays?
Do we ever play match up zone? Why do we not play their receivers tighter when we rush blitz the QB on 3'rd and long? Who are our DB'S watching? Why are inside LB'S not filling running lanes, making plays at or near line of scrimmage instead of 10 yards down field? Are that many DC calls that bad? Is it poor player execution across the whole defense? Poor tackling? Poor technique by the DB'S who were called for PI?
I am critical, but I am very happy to have come out on top where it matters. Offense looked good the 1'st quarter, non existent in the 2'nd quarter
and inconsistent the rest of the game, because of poor OL play in my view.

Are that many DC calls that bad? Is it poor player execution across the whole defense? Poor tackling? Poor technique by the DB'S who were called for PI?
I am critical, but I am very happy to have come out on top where it matters. Offense looked good the 1'st quarter, non existent in the 2'nd quarter
and inconsistent the rest of the game, because of poor OL play in my view.

I'm not saying our team is terrible.

The defense just didn't have a good game. It was a BAD game. Yes the Offense just started to get stale mid game & that didn't help the defense with their 3 & outs...

I really expected a much better performance out of our Defense & not get beat mentally so quickly. You could see it clearly by the end of the game but it was showing signs (when the UF RB had the up the middle TD run, neither LB or safety was there to do anything)

Last edited:
No matter what call you make the guy with his hand in the dirt has to control his gap and whip the guy in front of him. It is not happening. Until that gets fixed the defense will have some struggles especially in close games where the offense is not in catch up mode and their play calling is more predictable. It starts by stopping the run. Why that has been an issue the last 3-4 years I do not know.

No matter what call you make the guy with his hand in the dirt has to control his gap and whip the guy in front of him. It is not happening. Until that gets fixed the defense will have some struggles especially in close games where the offense is not in catch up mode and their play calling is more predictable. It starts by stopping the run. Why that has been an issue the last 3-4 years I do not know.
I'm asking because I'd just like to hear other people's opinions. Do you think we've gotten too small in the front 7 due to struggling with spread up tempo teams a few years ago?

I'm asking because I'd just like to hear other people's opinions. Do you think we've gotten too small in the front 7 due to struggling with spread up tempo teams a few years ago?
Not sure but I do not see any Jonathan Alan's, Ryan Andersons, Reed's, or Mosley's out there at least they are not playing like it. Is that the players, coaching, the game has changed, players size, experience etc...? As with most things it is probably a combination of things. We lost A LOT of experienced play makers last year and it takes time for new talented players to figure it out. Saban has always pulled of the miracle and kept the team playing at a high level but seems like losing as much as he has and coaching turnovers the last two years is even a challenge for the GOAT.

I still believe this team will be very good but hard to see it after todays game.

This game will provide some legit areas to work on for the coaching staff. Florida found a couple of cracks in the armor and they worked those areas. Hopefully CNS and staff can correct these quickly. One thing that was frustrating (I know they were in a loud, hostile environment) was the penalties. We hurt ourselves offensively and kept our D on the field longer with some key interferance calls. Discipline and focus needs to improve. Tackling was a concern as the game went on, which is a symptom of fatigue.
Very glad to get the W, and in a hostile environment against a very good team. However, we must improve in some areas because I know there are some upcoming quality opponents that will study this film quite a bit.
ROLL TIDE EVERYONE! 3-0 / 1-0.

I know the players are doing their best, but some adjustments are definitely needed.
  • Chris Owens is a center, not a RT.
  • Cohen is developing, but doesn't appear to be ready physically to carry the LG position.
  • Brain Robinson is a hammer. BoB has to use him as such. He will never be a Derrick Henry, but he can punish the defense throughout the game and really help carry the team late in games.
  • Wide receivers. Where to start? Drops, inability to separate, drops, inability to stretch the field, drops. Remember when Saban put in all freshman receivers in the national championship game because we needed a spark?
  • Bryce Young. Just his 3rd start. Timing with his receivers will come. Maybe needs to be more Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts or Johnny Manziel and use his legs more.
  • DJ Dale. Not a starter. Backup at best.
  • BoB. Has to be more creative. His play calling is predictable and boring. I called his last 3 drives play for play. Definitely no Sark or Kiffin.
  • Ol' Pete. Ol' Pete. Well, if he's the best out there, but definitely no Kirby.

Back
Top Bottom