| NEWS The Best From The Weekend, Saban Tees Off and Athlon Sports Mag Breakdown

Kyle Henderson | Staff
To recap the week/weekend of news and notes surrounding Alabama Athletics, we provide you with our weekend rundown.

Alabama Softball Is Going To The NCAA Super Regionals
On Sunday, the Crimson Tide defeated Minnesota 1-0 in Tuscaloosa to advance to their 13th straight NCAA Super Regional Round. Sydney Littlejohn earned the win and moved to 17-8 on the season. Minnesota ends their season with a record of 55-5.

RECAP: Alabama softball tops Minnesota, advances to super regional

o9bxe7maxr9yzi36dnf6

Saban attends Regions Tradition Pro-Am
Is there anyone more comfortable than Nick Saban? Now, before you spin that statement into me suspecting he’s complacent, he’s obviously not, I just think that Signing Bonus of 4M cleared. You would be posted up signing autographs like a boss as well. This past week, Saban attended and participated in the Regions Tradition Pro-Am Golf Tournament in Birmingham, Alabama where he talked about the early signing period.

READ: Saban fears early signing period will limit evaluation process

Podcast: Saban speaks during SEC Teleconference

drkf88b0fdthjl00jft9

Regions Tradition Photo from Instagram

gn2f7ldlfgvtxvy2xavh

Video by pgatourchampions on Instagram

Pierce Quick Earns Invite To Rivals Five-Star Challenge
On Sunday, May 21 Pierce Quick earned an invite to the Rivals Five-Star Challenge. The Class of 2019 Alabama Commit had an impressive showing at the Rivals.com Regional Camp in St. Louis and was even seen in a video giving a “Roll Tide”.

READ: Coaches Corner: 2019 Alabama Commit Pierce Quick

xjcezgyvchufzv3raubr

Athlon Sports College Football Mag Is Out
Purchased this morning. Read through, always appreciate the layout and presentation of College Football Magazines. The work that goes in must be exhausting and they are gambling by releasing so much, so soon. While most of the projected depth charts will be missed, I thumbed through and read up on Alabama. Here are some takeaways.

Cover

Hurts on the front, above FSU Quarterback Deondre Francois, Jake Browning of Washington, and JT Barrett of Ohio State.

Position Unit Rankings

Quarterbacks: Alabama ranked No. 10

Running Backs: Alabama ranked No. 1

Receivers: Alabama ranked No. 7

Offensive Line: Alabama ranked No. 1

Defensive Line: Alabama ranked No. 3

Linebackers: Alabama ranked No. 2

Defensive Backs: Alabama ranked No. 1

First Team All-Americans

S - Minkah Fitzpatrick

Second Team All-Americans

WR - Calvin Ridley

OL - Jonah Williams

P - JK Scott

Conference Rankings

1. SEC

2. ACC

3. Big Ten

Heisman Trophy Contenders

No. 10 Bo Scarbrough, Running Back

Top 50 College Football Players of the Athlon ERA

No. 17 John Hannah, OL 1970-72

No. 21 Derrick Thomas, LB 1985-88

Q and A with Minkah Fitzpatrick

It's well done. When Fitzpatrick is asked, why he chose Alabama. "The main thing was the demand for excellence here. I feel like I'm kind of that way on myself and the people around me always demand the best.

SEC Predictions

West

1. Alabama

2. Auburn

3. LSU

4. Arkansas

4. Miss State

6. Texas A&M

7. Ole Miss

East

1. Georgia

2. Flordia

3. Tennessee

4. South Carolina

5. Kentucky

6. Vanderbilt

7. Missouri

Alabama Projected Depth Chart

Offense

WR - Calvin Ridley

WR - Cam Sims

WR - Robert Foster

LT - Jonah Williams

LG - Ross Pierschbacher

C - Bradley Bozeman

RG - Lester Cotton

RT - Matt Womack

TE - Miller Forristall

QB - Jalen Hurts

RB - Damien Harris

Defense

DE - De'Shawn Hand

NG - Da'Ron Payne

DE - Joshua-Fraizer

OLB - Christian Miller

ILB - Shaun Dion Hamilton

ILB - Rashaan Evans

OLB - Anfernee Jennings

CB - Anthony Averett

CB - Trevon Diggs

S - Ronnie Harrison

S - Minkah Fitzpatrick

Special Teams

K - Joseph Bulovas

P - JK Scott

KR - BJ Emmons

PR - Trevon Diggs

Stat Corner

Alabama allowed a nation-leading 4.0 yards per play and hasn't allowed above a 5.0 per play since 2006, pre-Nick Saban.

An Opposing SEC Assistant Coach

"Until someone beats them, I'd say they are the team to beat. They get whoever they want in recruiting - like, really, anybody they want."

Projected Record

12-1, 7-1 in SEC Play

Bowl Projections

Alabama vs. Washington in the Sugar Bowl

Alabama vs. Ohio State in the National Championship

Obviously, there is much more to the magazine than this, so go pick up your copy of Athlon Sports.

qx46lysodasnm81dxs3d

Taulia Tagovailoa has strong spring showing
Taulia Tagovailoa, the younger brother Tua who is a freshman quarterback at the University of Alabama is a 6-foot-0, 190-pound quarterback at Thompson High School in Birmingham, Alabama. The younger Tagovailoa a recent transfer from the State of Hawaii had a very nice showing this past weekend finishing his spring game 14 of 21 passing for 201-yards and two touchdowns. He already has an offer from Alabama.

s7WNVzMtH0T53AVs.jpg

Follow
Drew Champlin @DrewChamplin

Taulia Tagovailoa 34 yard td pass. Now 9-12-141. Thompson leads McGill-Toolen 20-0 2:20 1q

2:31 PM - 20 May 2017 · Alabaster, AL

Former Alabama WR Amari Cooper is all about production
Former Alabama Receiver Amari Cooper caught 228 passes for 3,463-yards and 31 touchdowns at Alabama, so I guess it is to no surprise that Cooper continues to turn heads in the NFL for the Raiders. Pro Football Focus tweeted an interesting chart below. Cooper has already caught for 155 receptions for 2,223-yards with 11 touchdowns in just two seasons.

View image on Twitter
DAUqxrpXcAIf7qg.jpg:small

Follow
Pro Football Focus

✔@PFF

Amari Cooper was good as a 2015 rookie. And then he was even better in 2016.

11:16 PM - 20 May 2017

Wings Daily
Located at 2224 Madison Ave. Montgomery, AL 36107, just minutes from Robert E. Lee High School, Wings Daily was a bit of surprise. After Tony Tsoukalas and I finished interviewing Alabama Commit Henry Ruggs, Ruggs himself recommended we stop at Wings Daily. With tons of flavors to choose from, I went with medium and ranch style. Ok, the fries in the picture below look straight dated, but the wings were outstanding, with the medium bringing some heat.

bqewscq4zl3bjovdis4i

Not Good
Alabama Baseball concluded their first season under Greg Goff finishing a dismal 5-24 in SEC play and just 19-34 overall.

b75hiysmillbhycoucg4

From The Odd
I could not help but put this into my odd section from the weekend. For real, a customer tackles a deer in a Walmart? In Wadena, Minnesota a white tail deer ran into a local Walmart, Tom Grasswick was the man to take the deer down, and guess where Tom is from? Deer Creek, Minnesota.

Follow
AP Oddities

✔@AP_Oddities

This week in #odd news: Woman finds iguana in toilet; Walmart customer tackles deer; Adults brawl at graduation. http://apne.ws/2rCqtqk

7:01 AM - 21 May 2017

Best weird AP news: Thailand's chunky monkey on diet; Walmart customer takes down startled deer;...
Thailand's chunky monkey on diet after gorging on junk food (AP Photo/Sakchai Lalit)BANGKOK (AP) _ A morbidly obese wild monkey who gorged himself on junk food and soda left behind by tourists has bee

apnews.com

Would like to see the other 6 receivers groups rated higher...
And so many question the D backfield.....and its #1 rated....lol
QB returns SEC Oplayer of year...and checks in @10....ummmm
Nice post...thanks...
Mag not here yet...

Back
Top Bottom