| FTBL Spy guy: At Texas Tech, Kingsbury says he monitored players via fake social media accounts

18Champs

Cardinals new head coach Kliff Kingsbury made a lot of eyes roll when it was revealed this spring that he plans on giving his players regular “cell phone breaks” so they check in with family and friends or scour their favorite social media sites.

It’s something he allowed back in college when he was the head coach at Texas Tech and he said it not only helped break up the monotony of team meetings, it served as a way to improve his players’ attention.

Well, maybe there’s a secret reason why he’s letting his NFL players have the same privilege.

During an August 2016 appearance on “The Hawkcast” podcast with then-Atlanta Falcons linebacker A.J. Hawk, Kingsbury openly revealed he and his Texas Tech coaches would set up fake social media accounts using “cute girls” as avatars to spy on their players.

That’s right, spy.

“We have fake accounts with cute girls that they add right now so we can see what’s going on, who’s tweeting what,” Kingsbury said at the time. “Those are heavily monitored, for sure.”

As weird as it may sound, the tactic isn’t that unusual. Coaches in football and other sports have been known to do the same thing as a way to watch how their players are presenting themselves on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook.

The strange part is that Kingsbury admits to doing it.

When asked if he thought his players at Texas Tech might have been aware of the spying, Kingsbury told Hawk, “I think they do, but they can’t resist that. Friend requests from cute girls are an automatic follow.”

To be fair, Kingsbury also revealed his secret ring of social media spies were actually deployed for a grander purpose – to liven up an end-of-the-season team meeting in the film room.

“Once a year, we’ll capture the most absurd posts our team makes and we make a big presentation and have a lot of fun with it,” he said, laughing.

It’s too bad Kingsbury decided to end Arizona’s mandatory mini-camp a day early because if we had heard about this story on Thursday, we would have grilled Kingsbury about it.

That aside, here’s a special note to Cardinals players: Be mindful of your actions on social media and who you follow. Coach Kliff and his cronies are probably watching you.

Well, considering he never won anything in college, he may want to adapt to a more winning formula.
Ya know, I was thinking along the same lines when I read this a few hours ago.

Here we have two QB's from Texas Tech who are currently playing in the NFL and their college coach is now coaching in the league as well ... and between all three of them I don't believe they won a bowl game.

Arizona has to be a broken franchise. Who would select this guy to run an NFL team? He tried to reinvent his own offensive philosophy at Tech cause he couldn't win with his defense gassed all the time. He still lost too many games.

Right now there is a spread hysteria running through the NFL. Doesn't mean you still don't need a proven winner at the coaching position to run it. That's what the Eagles got with Chip Kelly and it still didn't work, twice. Along comes Peterson and he takes the spread concepts all the way to a championship. A good coach is a good coach, you have to at least start there.

During an August 2016 appearance on “The Hawkcast” podcast with then-Atlanta Falcons linebacker A.J. Hawk, Kingsbury openly revealed he and his Texas Tech coaches would set up fake social media accounts using “cute girls” as avatars to spy on their players.

Maybe I'm being too nitpicky but this was annoying to me. Hawk wasn't signed by Atlanta until October 2016 and was released literally 2 weeks after signing.

I still have no clue how a guy who never won more than eight games in college and got fired for how bad his team got was able to land a head job in the NFL immediately after. It's insane.

The things people fall in love with. Fun n gun at Washington. Fail
Run n shoot. Fail.
Good ole football. Good conservative offense. Great D. Great QB. Win

That is def. not the NFL at the moment, man. You have to put up huge numbers on offense in the NFL these days. You go conservative on offense you are going to get run over. I just dont think Kingsbury was a good coach, period. Its not about his offensive style.

Back
Top Bottom