| FTBL Someone said it and I can't get it out of my mind. Where does the facility money come from now?

NIL doesn't come from the school. If you're looking for donor money, the donor must require some level of service to pay NIL. That service must be appearance, tweet mentions, or some type of business support.

Byrne will have a group of donors who will support funding of facilities. Other monies will come from revenue profit.

@OldPlayer what are you saying here?
NIL doesn't come from the school.

Other monies will come from revenue profit.
"Other monies"—I assume you're referring to NIL money considering that's the subject here—"will come from revenue profit."

Revenue comes from the school.

Byrne will have a group of donors who will support funding of facilities.
I'd suggest we're looking at the AD looking at corporate interest for facilities. We've already seen the beginning of that with the seating in BDS.

The bottom line is, like scholarships, this is a zero sum game. If what you suggest is true, NIL fundraising will come from that same group of donors who are left with the choice of NIL or facility drives. With either source, the bottom line total of money donated to UA athletics won't increase: it'll be split.

"Other monies"—I assume you're referring to NIL money considering that's the subject here—"will come from revenue profit."

I'd suggest we're looking at the AD looking at corporate interest for facilities. We've already seen the beginning of that with the seating in BDS.

The bottom line is, like scholarships, this is a zero sum game. If what you suggest is true, NIL fundraising will come from that same group of donors who are left with the choice of NIL or facility drives. With either source, the bottom line total of money donated to UA athletics won't increase: it'll be split.

I'll be interested if my seats are sponsored by Bob's Car Wash in the near future. Now wouldn't that be a new step for a college athletic program with promotion and revenue growth?

I'll be interested if my seats are SOLD to sponsored by Bob's Car Wash in the near future.
A better way to put that. 🙃

It's my thought we're not too far away from seeing logo's all over SEC jerseys. If we look at official SEC sponsors from '21 we'd likely see:

Florida with a Gatorade.
Missouri with Velveeta (everything Drinkwitz does is cheesy.)
Auburn with Johnsonville (fans are brats, staff members tend to be wieners.)

A better way to put that. 🙃

It's my thought we're not too far away from seeing logo's all over SEC jerseys. If we look at official SEC sponsors from '21 we'd likely see:

Florida with a Gatorade.
Missouri with Velveeta (everything Drinkwitz does is cheesy.)
Auburn with Johnsonville (fans are brats, staff members tend to be wieners.)

Ha Ha. Yes, feel like I heard something about this in the last year as well. once the NBA did it, it really opened up that idea. Sheesh, I hope not. "Please welcome the Lockheed Martin Crimson Tide to the 2024 CFP Playoff, and the Eukanuba Bulldogs."

NIL money comes from outside the school. It’s basically an outside company paying a player who in return promotes their brand. It’s not donors giving money to be given to players.

Alabama generates revenue from ticket sales, sponsorship, advertising and media rights (through the SEC). Every year you hear/see the report of how much profit was generated by each school based on revenue and expenses. Football and basketball are the revenue producing sports that help to maintain non-revenue producing sports (track and field, nearly all of the women’s sports, cross country, etc).

NIL money comes from outside the school. It’s basically an outside company paying a player who in return promotes their brand. It’s not donors giving money to be given to players.
We're dipping our toes in a different body of water here though that's exactly what the issue has been: donors giving money to be given to players before they sign.
Alabama generates revenue from ticket sales, sponsorship, advertising and media rights (through the SEC). Every year you hear/see the report of how much profit was generated by each school based on revenue and expenses. Football and basketball are the revenue producing sports that help to maintain non-revenue producing sports (track and field, nearly all of the women’s sports, cross country, etc).
We are all aware of how Alabama generates money. Those monies are paid to the school (or conference then split among the schools.)

Here's where it's confusing. You're suggesting the "NIL money doesn't come from the school" but it's coming from "other monies like revenue" which are paid to the school.

IF the NIL money is coming from "other monies" paid to the school how is it the school isn't paying?

I believe we can hold onto a hope that the extra TV revenues will be used to fill the void that's going to be left in infrastructure. Now, that hope is based on schools spending wisely leaving us with a prayer that this hope isn't merely a dream.

We're dipping our toes in a different body of water here though that's exactly what the issue has been: donors giving money to be given to players before they sign.

We are all aware of how Alabama generates money. Those monies are paid to the school (or conference then split among the schools.)

Here's where it's confusing. You're suggesting the "NIL money doesn't come from the school" but it's coming from "other monies like revenue" which are paid to the school.

IF the NIL money is coming from "other monies" paid to the school how is it the school isn't paying?

I believe we can hold onto a hope that the extra TV revenues will be used to fill the void that's going to be left in infrastructure. Now, that hope is based on schools spending wisely leaving us with a prayer that this hope isn't merely a dream.
This is the issue that needs enforcement. Athletes can earn NIL money from companies using their name, image or likeness. Schools cannot pay athletes (amateurism still exists - just in a different format). A school paying NIL money is supposed to be against the rules.

Back
Top Bottom