Some of the off the wall request I get at times

BAMA JAMMA

Verified Member
Never knew what a Hupmobile was until I got a request.

One of my coworkers is doing another restoration, this time on a 1931
Hupmobile. Pretty much is this same car in trim level http://static.automanager.com/c/023009/96c1a831b36b3848b75cdd02715398a9/6d2782ae79_640.jpg

His has a huge inline 6. When I say huge I mean freaking HUUUUGE motor.
Everything on cars back then was huge, low power but relatively simple in design
(advanced for their time).

The problem:

Everything in the motor was fine except for the rear seal which uses a rope
gasket. The material was like pot metal or something as it became very brittle
over the years. When they disassembled the motor the rear seal broke into four
pieces. Not good! Nobody makes a rear seal for these and if you can find an
original its not cheap as these cars weren't made forever.

The solution:

He brings his crumbled up parts to me and I begin the tedious process of
reverse engineering the parts using various tools and software. After cleaning
as much gunk that has accumulated in I start by 'painting' the crumbled parts
using white powder foot spray (athlete's foot shit). This allows me to 'paint'
the parts to make it easier for the laser scanner to create points in space
(point cloud). After scanning the parts I then turn it into a NURBS surface and
then export out to my modeling software.

Here is one of the broken parts I scanned....

scanedpart.jpg

Once inside the modeling software I typically begin the reverse engineering
aspect of creating a new model based off whatever critical geometry needs to be
retained. Here is some initial block design model using the scanned part as a
reference for when I am too high or low on some faces and surfaces....

modeledparts.jpg

Once I feel comfortable with an initial design this is when I'd typically
farm this out for a rapid prototyped plastic part for initial test and fit
inside the engine block. we still don't have our 3D printer in house yet and my
coworker didn't want to fork out the cash for a prototype so we had to go back
and forth to the engine shop taking notes and caliper measurements to help in
the design. Here you can see the broken seals sitting in the block....

IMG_0381resize.jpg

IMG_0383resize.jpg

This crank too heavy to walk lol...

IMG_0392resize.jpg

Here is a render I did of the initial designed pieces...

rendered.jpg

The result:

After test fitting the machined 6061 aluminum pieces in the block and placing
the crank in I noticed we had to make some minor changes to allow the top engine
pieces to fit flush. I didn't take any pics of the final pieces outside the
block but here is the final result mounted and ready to go...

106F1A7C-A133-4F64-85DF-3EAE760939BB-6747-0000084E08FDD31D.jpg

Neither really :)

I'm a design engineer (among other duties) by trade for the fire suppression/protection industry. But I know my way around a motor. I do reverse engineering projects like this on the side. Everything from engine components to umm...body parts :shock::rofl:

Just never done anything on a Hupmobile as I have never heard of one until this project. Cool cars! He has about a year or so to go until this car is 100% restored but it's cool seeing it get rebuilt from the ground up.

That's awesome, right after high school and prior to military (yeah, I'm a tshirt Bama fan as I didn't graduate from Alabama), I worked for a fire suppression company - Amerex Fire in Trussville - not the type of work you do I'd imagine, I was just on the assembly line putting together fire extinguishers. Good pay and a good company @ 18 years old, taught me I don't ever want to work on an assembly line again :)

Now I sit on my ass all day working on computers...which makes me wonder, do you build suppression systems for data centers?

Thanks guys glad yall like them. I've done some other work I'll post up later.

That's awesome, right after high school and prior to military (yeah, I'm a tshirt Bama fan as I didn't graduate from Alabama), I worked for a fire suppression company - Amerex Fire in Trussville - not the type of work you do I'd imagine, I was just on the assembly line putting together fire extinguishers. Good pay and a good company @ 18 years old, taught me I don't ever want to work on an assembly line again :)

Now I sit on my ass all day working on computers...which makes me wonder, do you build suppression systems for data centers?

I work at Amerex for nearly a decade now :pinkbiggrin:

I design everything from the hand portables that everyone I'm sure is familiar with, the big wheeled units you see on flight lines and airports, clean agent large industrial systems, to gubberment and military explosion suppression systems. But that's not really all I do here as I'm sort of their jack of all trades guy.

What line of work are your in?

Last edited:
hahahaha! dude, small world. so you live around the area - from that area??? I graduated from Trussville 20 years ago. I worked @ Amerex for probably 9 months - summer of '92 to right around the big snow storm that dropped 18" of snow in b'ham in march of '93.

work at Intuit for 13 years now (san diego and plano - hence the name) - software company [turbotax, quicken, quickbooks, mint.com, etc] - but I'm in the IT side of the house, managing systems that we run our software on.

Neither really :)

I'm a design engineer (among other duties) by trade for the fire suppression/protection industry. But I know my way around a motor. I do reverse engineering projects like this on the side. Everything from engine components to umm...body parts :shock::rofl:

Just never done anything on a Hupmobile as I have never heard of one until this project. Cool cars! He has about a year or so to go until this car is 100% restored but it's cool seeing it get rebuilt from the ground up.

Wow that sounds very time consuming and very complicated

Back
Top Bottom