| FTBL Sneak peek at NFL draft for '09: JPW in top 5 for QB's...

TerryP

Staff
Quarterbacks

Chase Daniel, Missouri (6-0, 220): He will be a three-year starter, having thrown for 7,833 yards with 51 TDs and 21 INTs over past two seasons.

Graham Harrell, Texas Tech (6-2 ½, 205): Has 14 career 400-yard games; passed for 646 yards in a game against Oklahoma State last season.

Curtis Painter, Purdue (6-3 ½, 225): Passed for 7,831 yards and 51 TDs over the past two seasons.

Patrick White, West Virginia (6-1 ½, 190): Has passed for more than 4,000 yards in his career and brings the added dimension as a runner -- he has eight runs of more than 50 yards.

John Parker Wilson, Alabama (6-2, 210): He will be a three-year starter for the Tide, and has passed for 35 TDs over the last two seasons.

Note: His mother was a cheerleader for the 1979 Alabama team that went 12-0 and won the national championship.

This is going to spark conversations around the 'net.

Mashie

I have been a vocal critic of Wilson over the past couple of seasons, however I honestly believe that JPW is going to shock some folks this year. While I don't know that he is a top 5 QB, he is not a bottom 5 either.

35 touchdowns, 5,651 yards, ratings of 126.51 and 114.60. Not horrible for a 2 year starter.

He also had 22 interceptions in this 2 year period. I realize he played as a freshman, but not that much and I hate to ruin his stats by calculating 3 years.

Let's not forget that he has had 52 sacks during this time and numerous OC's. Not to mention that the line folded on him at crucial times and didn't give him the proper protection, they haven't done their jobs.

The offensive line didn't step up and when the game was on the line, they got nervous and made huge mistakes. That is on them, they should have done better. With the experience they have there was no reason to basically leave Wilson unprotected, it was bizarre.

Men who evaluate players for a living can determine that when just the quarterback is on the field against 11 defensive opponents and he is all alone, Wilson has done quite well.

It wasn't right for the coaches to send him out there alone and not expect him to fumble once in a while. He only had the receivers on the field with him half the time and they can't protect him from 250 pound, 4.5 forty, brick walls coming straight at him untouched.

The experts can determine that if Wilson is on a team that actually has an offensive line he may do quite well.

The 52 sacks Wilson has had is the good part of not having an offensive line. He was hurried, what, a thousand times?

NFL scouts are not evaluating teams, they are evaluating players. Because the offensive line can't do their job and step it up, these guys don't care about that. They are looking at other things when evaluating a QB.

Because Wilson was denied a running back and had to rely solely on an air attack is not his fault, they know that.

They know that when a coach or coaches don't allow a QB to have anything other than runningback after runningback that can only take two steps and fall down, it affects their ability to lead a team to victory.

CtrlAltieDel said:
35 touchdowns, 5,651 yards, ratings of 126.51 and 114.60. Not horrible for a 2 year starter.

He also had 22 interceptions in this 2 year period. I realize he played as a freshman, but not that much and I hate to ruin his stats by calculating 3 years.

Let's not forget that he has had 52 sacks during this time and numerous OC's. Not to mention that the line folded on him at crucial times and didn't give him the proper protection, they haven't done their jobs.

The offensive line didn't step up and when the game was on the line, they got nervous and made huge mistakes. That is on them, they should have done better. With the experience they have there was no reason to basically leave Wilson unprotected, it was bizarre.

Men who evaluate players for a living can determine that when just the quarterback is on the field against 11 defensive opponents and he is all alone, Wilson has done quite well.

It wasn't right for the coaches to send him out there alone and not expect him to fumble once in a while. He only had the receivers on the field with him half the time and they can't protect him from 250 pound, 4.5 forty, brick walls coming straight at him untouched.

The experts can determine that if Wilson is on a team that actually has an offensive line he may do quite well.

The 52 sacks Wilson has had is the good part of not having an offensive line. He was hurried, what, a thousand times?

NFL scouts are not evaluating teams, they are evaluating players. Because the offensive line can't do their job and step it up, these guys don't care about that. They are looking at other things when evaluating a QB.

Because Wilson was denied a running back and had to rely solely on an air attack is not his fault, they know that.

They know that when a coach or coaches don't allow a QB to have anything other than runningback after runningback that can only take two steps and fall down, it affects their ability to lead a team to victory.
;sal

Well that's about the boldest preseason statement you'll hear this off-season. I can see JP having a solid year if he does his job of course. The O-line should keep most of the pressure off this season, and I expect him to make some plays since he's a experienced senior. It's honestly not too hard to believe he can shock some people this year. Either way, I'll be behind him...because he's our QB.

Tider27 said:
Well that's about the boldest preseason statement you'll hear this off-season. I can see JP having a solid year if he does his job of course. The O-line should keep most of the pressure off this season, and I expect him to make some plays since he's a experienced senior. It's honestly not too hard to believe he can shock some people this year. Either way, I'll be behind him...because he's our QB.

I know I don't sit alone with this thought, but I'm aware the group I'm sitting with isn't that large.

I can't help but think about the improvement seen last year with Fresno St. Another poster on another forum broke down this comparison.

The stats from '06 versus '07 when Coach Mac took over Fresno St.

YEAR - CMP -ATT - YDS - CMP% - YPA - LNG -TD --INT ---RAT
2006 - 146 - 268 - 1490 - 54.5 --- 5.56 - 75 --13 ----14 ---106.74
2007 - 211 - 337 - 2654 - 62.6 --- 7.88 - 44 - 15 ----- 5 ---140.48

2006 Record = 4-8
2007 Record = 9-4

Then, made a comparison to what that would mean if JPW had the same improvement.

2007 - 255 - 462 - 2846 - 55.2 --- 6.16 - 67 --18 ----12 ---114.6
2008 - 368 - 580 - 5069 - 63.4 --- 8.74 - 42 - 21 ----- 4 ---ungodly

2007 Record = 7-6
2008 Record = 12-2

The only game I watched last year was Fresno St. versus Ga. Tech...and watched that one because there were a lot of rumors that Tenuta would take over Pellini's spot at LSU. I think Tenuta is a good DC, but Coach Mac literally abused him with his play calling in that game. Interestingly enough, he did the same vs Texas A&M (road game), KSU, Oregon and Kansas State.

Things that stand out to LBS.

2006 Record = 4-8
2007 Record = 9-4
--Pass attempts increased only an average of 5.3/game over a 13 game sched. I don't think that indicates a marked change in Offensive style or philosophy, thus lends the credibility to the comparison being more apples-to-apples.
--WRT an 8% increase in Completion %, to be fair, could this potentially be credited to other factors like a new/better QB, last year's QB simply being a year older/better, better O-line/Receiver play, more short passes...? I'm just saying, Mac may/may not be the only reason.
--I'm suspect of the Comp. % stat, but with the QB rating I'm more impressed for some reason. 140 is solid.
--How much of the record turn around is Mac's to claim? LBS would say Undeniably Some For Sure.

...if JPW had the same improvement.

2007 Record = 7-6
2008 Record = 12-2
If these projections are half right, that is a 10 win season. Think of those implications...Atlanta?

CtrlAltieDel said:

Great post!!!

LBS said:

2006 Record = 4-8
2007 Record = 9-4
--Pass attempts increased only an average of 5.3/game over a 13 game sched. I don't think that indicates a marked change in Offensive style or philosophy, thus lends the credibility to the comparison being more apples-to-apples.
--WRT an 8% increase in Completion %, to be fair, could this potentially be credited to other factors like a new/better QB, last year's QB simply being a year older/better, better O-line/Receiver play, more short passes...? I'm just saying, Mac may/may not be the only reason.
--I'm suspect of the Comp. % stat, but with the QB rating I'm more impressed for some reason. 140 is solid.
--How much of the record turn around is Mac's to claim? LBS would say Undeniably Some For Sure.

2007 Record = 7-6
2008 Record = 12-2
If these projections are half right, that is a 10 win season. Think of those implications...Atlanta?

We talk of things being cyclical in college football. If you look back over the last few years you've seen it in regards to our win vs loss ratios. As exampled by '99 compared to '00. '02 as compared to '03. '05 as compared to '06. Both '99, '02 and '05 had something in common as well.

An experienced QB under center. 02 and '05 had Sr's in that position.

Hearing Saban say the JP gives us the best chance to win is one thing. Now, hearing him say "JP is starting to get it" is a different level of praise.

The NFL drafts on "potential" and the facts are that JPW has had some amazing stats, when his head is screwed on straight. Good coaching can fix decision errors, hopefully they can be fixed in short order.

TerryP said:
LBS said:

2006 Record = 4-8
2007 Record = 9-4

2007 Record = 7-6
2008 Record = 12-2

We talk of things being cyclical in college football. If you look back over the last few years you've seen it in regards to our win vs loss ratios. As exampled by '99 compared to '00. '02 as compared to '03. '05 as compared to '06. Both '99, '02 and '05 had something in common as well.

An experienced QB under center. 02 and '05 had Sr's in that position.

Hearing Saban say the JP gives us the best chance to win is one thing. Now, hearing him say "JP is starting to get it" is a different level of praise.

I think we see a different JPW in '08 as well.

Kc said:
I think we see a different JPW in '08 as well.
I totally agree, but one thing is he could be a great QB for us, maybe a good one for college, and another is he would be a standout draft prospect to the NFL which are different questions. I guess Gil Brandt, who signs this text, could be intrigued by JPW numbers in such a tough conference as SEC, but we all know he isn't a prototype QB to the next level in terms of size and mechanics. I really doubt some NFL scouts felt in love with how JPW played and looked through these years. However, I also think next year he's gonna surprise some folks around the nation, because McElwain type of offense fits him like a glove with all that quick reads in spite of the Applewhite's downfield passes which required him to look all over the field. IMHO I really think the Wilson's major improvement next year will have to do with the type of offense he'll face at Alabama, without question.

RTR,

i hope your right but still he makes me so nervous sometimes with the bone head things he does. If he could just play like he did against tennesse last year. But i am happy about our offensive line this year hopefully they make it easy on him.

Also Terry Grant will have to step up big time so we dont have to completely depend on JP.

Also i hope JP doesn't make it so obvious on who he wants to go to with our new offense approach.

was there a point that i missed about jpw's mom being a cheerleader in '79? relevance?

btw, i like that analysis. i think jpw is going to surprise alot of people and definsive co. this year. jpw for heisman :wink:

Back
Top Bottom