| FTBL SI.COM'S BEST UNIFORMS

No wonder i quit subscribing to SI. Alabama has one of the best uniforms in the nation, I know my opinion is biased but do we really care? I dont think so.

Outlaw said:
I love the Vandy unis as well pork. They are tight.

You're a stallion? Didn't know that.

Yeah I'm a Stallion. I graduated from South Lamar back in the day when South Lamar was still a 3A school. That's been a while.

Where you from Outlaw? Don' say Fayette or Lamar County or I'll have to ban you now for the benefit of the board. :D :wink:

porkchop said:
Outlaw said:

Yeah I'm a Stallion. I graduated from South Lamar back in the day when South Lamar was still a 3A school. That's been a while.

Where you from Outlaw? Don' say Fayette or Lamar County or I'll have to ban you now for the benefit of the board. :D :wink:

Worse. Marion. :wink:

In defense of AU's unis, the jerseys are classic with the three arm stripes, and I've always like the AU logo on the helmet. That said, I love Bama's unis and always have. It would have to be a special logo for me to want us to change our helmets. We should be in the top 5, at the very least.

Outlaw said:
porkchop said:
Outlaw said:

Marion huh? So did you go to Francis Marion HS? We got those jokers in the basketball state finals in 92. We'd been close to winning one for several years and finally the year after I graduated we went into Auburn and cleaned up the 3A division for the state title. Beat Francis Marion in the finals, right after they had won their 4 straight state titles the years before.

I respected that bball program though. To win back to back, much less 4 straight is an amazing accomplishment. South Lamar had some of the best teams in the state those years (routinely beating 4A and 5A teams easily) but never won one until 92. That was probably our least talented team during the span too.

To give you an idea, our coach at SLHS was Robert Burdette. He's been leading Calera to some titles the last several years and is one of hte most succesful coaches in the game in Alabama these days.

porkchop said:
Outlaw said:
porkchop said:
Outlaw said:

Marion huh? So did you go to Francis Marion HS? We got those jokers in the basketball state finals in 92. We'd been close to winning one for several years and finally the year after I graduated we went into Auburn and cleaned up the 3A division for the state title. Beat Francis Marion in the finals, right after they had won their 4 straight state titles the years before.

I respected that bball program though. To win back to back, much less 4 straight is an amazing accomplishment. South Lamar had some of the best teams in the state those years (routinely beating 4A and 5A teams easily) but never won one until 92. That was probably our least talented team during the span too.

To give you an idea, our coach at SLHS was Robert Burdette. He's been leading Calera to some titles the last several years and is one of hte most succesful coaches in the game in Alabama these days.

Wrong county. That's Perry County where Marion, AL is located I believe? Home of a certain poster here...

Marion County -
AL_12065.gif

:wink:

porkchop said:
To give you an idea, our coach at SLHS was Robert Burdette. He's been leading Calera to some titles the last several years and is one of the most succesful coaches in the game in Alabama these days.

I respect Coach Burdette as much as any coach in the state. He does things the right way and never makes a spectacle of himself.

Heck of a guy and a great coach and developer of young men.

LOL Outlaw! You said Marion! I'm not psychic. I assumed you meant Marion, Al. Not Marion County. In your profile you're listed as from Dirty South, so .... :lol: I wasn't sure.

So did you play at Guin, Winfield, Brilliant or what? I'm fairly familiar with the area and had had a number of friends and 1 girlfriend from the area when I was in HS.

Tig Major, it's been a number of years since I've seen Burdette coach, so I cannot comment on what you were saying. I assume it's a bit tongue in cheek though. When I was in HS Burdette was the quintessential love/hate guy, even among the student body. Since I was an athelete I got a free pass a lot of the time from him, just like the other atheletes did. So I guess I didn't mind him too much, but I understand why other people may not have liked him. He was a bit of a smart a&& and had the personality that could rub people the wrong way, mainly due to his cockyness.

I remember one game when I was in HS and we were playing Sulligent there at South Lamar. Sulligent is from our county and was always an area rival when the teams were both 3A. The opposing coach was complaining about something (maybe the fact that we'd scored 140 on them, I don't know) and Burdette walked towards him and yelled out, "I'll play you 3 on 5 if you want me to". I'll never forget that. That's kind of the ballsy, smart-ass he was. And he would have done it too....and beat the guy. He was like that. Probably still is.

So like I said, your comments might have been tongue in cheek but I'm not able to comment on how Burdette is now. It's been a number of years since I've interacted with the guy....but it wouldn't surprise me if he's still the gambling, brash, egotistical smart-ass he was when he was younger. All I know is he's won a ton of games and he's very very good at what he does.

I don't know that he molds young men into better human beings but I know he makes them better basketball players. One need only log into AHSAA.com and check the all-time records to see what he's done. South Lamar is all over the record books while Calera has won a couple of state championships since he's been there.

porkchop said:
LOL Outlaw! You said Marion! I'm not psychic. I assumed you meant Marion, Al. Not Marion County. In your profile you're listed as from Dirty South, so .... :lol: I wasn't sure.

So did you play at Guin, Winfield, Brilliant or what? I'm fairly familiar with the area and had had a number of friends and 1 girlfriend from the area when I was in HS.

For you local folks over there, what's the story of the Guin and Gu-win communities over there located next to each other? Competing spellings, breakaway community?

porkchop said:
Tig Major, it's been a number of years since I've seen Burdette coach, so I cannot comment on what you were saying. I assume it's a bit tongue in cheek though. When I was in HS Burdette was the quintessential love/hate guy, even among the student body. Since I was an athelete I got a free pass a lot of the time from him, just like the other atheletes did. So I guess I didn't mind him too much, but I understand why other people may not have liked him. He was a bit of a smart a&& and had the personality that could rub people the wrong way, mainly due to his cockyness.

I remember one game when I was in HS and we were playing Sulligent there at South Lamar. Sulligent is from our county and was always an area rival when the teams were both 3A. The opposing coach was complaining about something (maybe the fact that we'd scored 140 on them, I don't know) and Burdette walked towards him and yelled out, "I'll play you 3 on 5 if you want me to". I'll never forget that. That's kind of the ballsy, smart-ass he was. And he would have done it too....and beat the guy. He was like that. Probably still is.

So like I said, your comments might have been tongue in cheek but I'm not able to comment on how Burdette is now. It's been a number of years since I've interacted with the guy....but it wouldn't surprise me if he's still the gambling, brash, egotistical smart-ass he was when he was younger. All I know is he's won a ton of games and he's very very good at what he does.

I don't know that he molds young men into better human beings but I know he makes them better basketball players. One need only log into AHSAA.com and check the all-time records to see what he's done. South Lamar is all over the record books while Calera has won a couple of state championships since he's been there.

Actually, I was serious. I've never been around him outside of a basketball game (or imediately before and immediately after.) I respect him for the way he coaches and shows class. I've never seen the person you described as being brash and a jackass. He is usually quietly intense. If he questions a call, you take it seriously.

His players play hard and tough, but you never hear them run their mouths, taunt other players, or anything like that. I know some of the players he's had at Calera have gone on to bigger and better things. He's tough, but I've heard that he makes the kids better people through that.

As far as what you know of him, maybe he did like many of us and grew up as he got older.

T M, I got your PM and responded. :)

But like I was saying last night, I love Burdette and I'm not above bragging on the guy's accomplishments. As far as I'm concerned he will always be a part of South Lamar bball. He's an awesome coach and IMHO the best at his style of play. I just wasn't sure if you were yanking my chain or not because Coach (used to be) a pretty brash, cocky guy. He had that Spurrier swagger to him that rubbed some people the wrong way. But in all fairness, that was 15 years ago when he coached for us.

Eleven, that's a good question on Gu-Win. I asked that once and the reply I got was something like, "Well, Guin is down the road here, and Winfield is down the road this way. Gu-Win is between them." Gu-Win is connected to both towns, so I guess just over time the people living between the two just started calling it that. That's the explination I got, but there's probably more to it than that.

His players play hard and tough, but you never hear them run their mouths, taunt other players, or anything like that. I know some of the players he's had at Calera have gone on to bigger and better things.

The trademark of Stallion basketball when he was there was 40 minutes of full-court presses and trapping defenses. We won most of our games by simply running other teams into the ground since our guys were so well conditioned.

We had a few players go to college while Burdette was there but the poster boy of the program was easily Daryl Wilson. You might remember Daryl was the Mr. Basketball for Alabama in 92. He then signed with MSU and started on those good mid-90's teams they had with Eric Dampier and Donte Jones.

porkchop said:
His players play hard and tough, but you never hear them run their mouths, taunt other players, or anything like that. I know some of the players he's had at Calera have gone on to bigger and better things.

The trademark of Stallion basketball when he was there was 40 minutes of full-court presses and trapping defenses. We won most of our games by simply running other teams into the ground since our guys were so well conditioned.

We had a few players go to college while Burdette was there but the poster boy of the program was easily Daryl Wilson. You might remember Daryl was the Mr. Basketball for Alabama in 92. He then signed with MSU and started on those good mid-90's teams they had with Eric Dampier and Donte Jones.

He hasn't changed in that regard. His games are always a track meet. The coaches in their junior high and rec programs teach the same style.

porkchop said:

This is the Dirty South... :wink:

Nah, none of the above. Try the biggest town in the county. We played South Lamar a few times in basketball. Never in football besides JV.

I do have a lot of buddies from all over the county though.

Back
Top Bottom